PickGuards If the Guitar gotta have one - what do I prefer on a Larrivee

Started by JOYCEfromNS, February 10, 2018, 07:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A recent thread got me a thinking is the type of guard influenced by where I'm from

Clear Guard - I'm from USA
8 (42.1%)
Clear Guard - I'm from outside USA
5 (26.3%)
Colored (tortoise) Guard - I'm from USA
6 (31.6%)
Colored (tortoise) Guard - I'm from outside USA
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Realize many here who strictly play finger style may prefer no guard - but if your guitar had to have one which is your Larrivee guitar preference :? And where are you from (your formative years) :? You can state the country if other than the USA if you like.

A bit of a market study I guess  :ohmy: one I would hope Larrivee have well on their radar
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Permanent pickguards are not for me,
but I would love to have temporary clear guards to slap on when other players are using my instruments

There must have been considerable research done in the world of transparent protection for all of those stick-on cell phone screen protectors that are on Amazon  :wink:

It is hard for me to vote on this poll, for I have preferences based on different guitars and their uses.  I am strictly a flat picker and sometimes a strummer, but I have learned to stabilize pick hand movement by lightly resting the tip of any one of the three unused fingers on the pick hand on the top of the soundboard.  The technique results in almost never contacting the top with my pick and it allows much needed consistency for pick angle and other picking factors.  Mind you, I am still resting a portion of my right upper forearm on the top front edge of the instrument so there is additional stability added there.  I also do not pick behind the soundhole toward the bridge, but rather from the center of the soundhole and forward up to as high as the 20th fret.  I have some guitars with pickguard, some clear, some not, and other guitars with no pickguard at all.  Aggressive strumming is another problem altogether and I always use a guitar with a pickguard of either type for that type of playing.  I know this is TMI, but we all play differently, and I personally find it interesting to learn how others employ their techniques...
George

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on February 10, 2018, 07:54:08 AM
but if your guitar had to have one which is your Larrivee guitar preference
If it had to have one... clear.
If not... none.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Not sure how many hours I've spent removing pickguards from my guitars but suffice it to say "plenty".
Had they been clear, maybe I wouldn't have bothered.
And these last few years, I don't bother with removing them any more, but I prefer them without any p/g at all.

I think guards are unattractive but, on some guitars, a tortoise guard breaks up the symmetry, in a good way.  Something like a 000 with a slotted headstock looks better with a clear (or no) guard but I think dreads look bad when they don't have a tortoise/colored pick guard.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

My choice isn't there...  whichever one does the job (i.e. keeping the pick from hitting wood).  I guess I tend towards fake tortoise, and I'm from the US.

Ed

I don't use picks any more, but if a guitar had a pickguard, I'd prefer it to be clear.  I just prefer the top not be interrupted by a large chunk of colored plastic.  Might have to do it with starting on classical guitar. 
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin