Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking at Purchasing Larrivee C-03R  (Read 988 times)
hoopdan21

Ignore
« on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »

I currently own a Seagull S6 that I am learning on.  Began lessons in July 2017.   I saw a Larrivee on Craigslist (https://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/msg/d/larrivee-03r-cutaway-acoustic/6460137049.html) for sale and am interested. 

Questions:  what would be a good price to offer and would I, as a novice, benefit from the change to this guitar? 

I've read a lot of good comments about Larrivee and the C-03, but don't want to make a mistake or buy something that won't be worth it to a beginner.

Thanks!!
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 05:31:48 PM »

I'd be surprised if someone could find a nicer $750 guitar on the planet!

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:49 PM »

Looking at the ad it appears he has already dropped the price $50.

Of course try to get it for less and tell him you have cash. Don't make an offer by email. See the guitar and if it is in new condition be prepared to pay what he wants, if you love it. You won't regret it.

All Larrivee guitars are awesome.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 06:32:14 PM »

Looking at the ad it appears he has already dropped the price $50.

Of course try to get it for less and tell him you have cash. Don't make an offer by email. See the guitar and if it is in new condition be prepared to pay what he wants, if you love it. You won't regret it.

All Larrivee guitars are awesome.

It is at least 15 years old.  Look it over carefully and play it soft, and play it hard.  Make sure there is no warping.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:56 PM »

Avoid. I'm typing this at the airport so maybe I'm mistaken but the pics look like it has no strings on it. A well cared for acoustic rarely goes long without strings. Tells me the owner probably didn't pay attention to humidity either and guitars like this are highly susceptible to issues when not cared for.

I very much recommend a Larrivee, but I wouldn't recommend that one to a beginner. Leave it to someone who knows what to inspect for.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 07:29:08 PM »

Tell the seller you are interested and ask why there are no strings on it in the photos.  Strings need to be installed so that the neck will be under constant tension, it is not good for a guitar to be stored without strings on it.  If the strings were just removed for the photos, and were not off long, it may be OK.  Take someone that knows something about guitars with you when you go look at it.  This model of Larrivee is a very fine guitar if it is indeed in the "Excellent" condition the seller touts it is, and worth the asking price if it is.

George
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:04:40 PM »

Avoid.

I very much recommend a Larrivee, but I wouldn't recommend that one to a beginner. Leave it to someone who knows what to inspect for.

Agree. Or take 2 or 3 armed companions, and someone who knows guitars well.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:23 PM »

Agree with everything that's been said here. It should have strings on it when you buy it, so you can inspect the action and play it and hear how it sounds.

Under normal circumstances, most Larrivees will be a HUGE step up over a Seagull in build, materials, playability and tone- BUT - you need to have someone who really knows guitars check it out for you.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
hoopdan21

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »

Thanks all!  I think I will meet him at the independent luthier that I have used.  I appreciate the help. 
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:01:28 PM »

do you mean companions with 3 arms?
or maybe make sure they know guns well?
i'd buy that guitar in a new york minute, if i had one to spare...

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 10:42:07 PM »

Thanks all!  I think I will meet him at the independent luthier that I have used.  I appreciate the help. 

Sounds like a great way to go. The luthier will tell it like it is.

The LV-03 I just bought is old (2002)  but unplayed and perfect. Just like a new guitar & certainly no warping.
It was 40% the cost of a 2018 one.

The climate here in Vancouver does seem to be kind to old instruments, so the warping thing is unusual here.
divertis

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 08:30:42 PM »

It is truly a nice guitar, the one you are targeting.  I have one Larrivee D40-R, and used to play Guild. You can tell the difference. That does not take the credit of the Guild, which offers great quality over price ratio.
This being said, for the price, grab the Larri and never let it go! Unless another Larri shows up. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2018, 04:04:45 AM »

This being said, for the price, grab the Larri and never let it go! Unless another Larri shows up. :)

I'm guessing you've never bought a guitar with issues.  That could easily be a $150 guitar if there are problems.  Like I said, these things require care.  Someone who doesn't even bother to string it certainly isn't monitoring the humidity.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
hoopdan21

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 02:00:31 PM »

I spoke with him yesterday.   The strings were only removed for the pictures.  I am meeting him today at the luthier I mentioned earlier.  It's going to get a good inspection before $$ change hands.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 06:17:04 PM »

Strings removed for pictures?

I still stand by my previous statement

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 09:07:03 PM »

Strings removed for pictures?

I still stand by my previous statement

Seems he's is heeding the sage advice you and others have offered. Nice lookin guitar, I'd be tempted for sure

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
hoopdan21

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 04:16:40 PM »

Met with the seller yesterday at the luthier's shop.  Guitar was in immaculate condition and played great.  The seller commented that he took pictures when he was changing strings and didn't realize what a big deal that might seem to be.  Evidently, several people had commented to him on that.   

He owned by guitar for 15 years and was selling due to having way too many.  That seems to be a common theme!   bigrin

Anyway, the luthier inspected and played the guitar, plugged in and not.  Everything checked out great.  Purchase made.

The guitar is beautiful and is so much easier to play than the Seagull.  The Seagull is very nice too; just not in the same league.

Thanks for the advice to all.  I did take it very seriously, got a very good inspection, and couldn't be happier!
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2018, 05:12:51 PM »

Congratulations on the acquisition of an excellent Larrivee Guitar Model!  Please post Pics!

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »

You got yourself one really, really nice guitar.
Mike
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2018, 06:51:28 PM »

Congratulations on a good purchase, made through wise discernment.

Hope you "tipped" your guitar tech somehow! He's worth it!

nice guitar

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: