New pics of my new pick(guard)

Started by Mikeymac, February 08, 2018, 10:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had my L-05 Custom long enough to decide that, yes, it looks kinda naked, and it could look better with the right pickguard (but not that huge dread-style that Larrivee uses).

So I ordered one from Terrapin Guitars in Oregon, came today, installed this afternoon. Here's a few pics, sorry they're not larger/better:

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Sorry Mike - but I hate it! I appreciate the differences in taste we all have and recognize I likely fall within the minority especialy south of our border I prefer the clear  :cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Clear all the way.  BUT it is his guitar, so he gets to do what he wants.  That is all that matters.

That's fine - I get the difference of opinions. If it were a different rosette, I would hate it, too, but with the rope or herringbone (or a regular "Martin style") rosette, I like it.  As I said, the standard large pick guard Larrivee uses looks tacky to me... again to each his/her own.

The only thing I noticed is that you put it on the wrong side ....... :humour:

Looks fine to me...  For a strummer like me, the thing I always wonder about, with those teardrop size guards, is do they cover enough?

Ed

I looked at the first picture and thought .........  :?

Then saw the ones with it actually installed. Looks fine from here.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

:donut :donut2 :coffee
It looks ok.
2 comments.
First, the pick guard covers the rosette, the Larrivee guards don't.
Second, the pick guard goes all the way under the strings to almost the G string, and the Larrivee only goes as far as under the E string.
Minor nits tho, for anyone who wants to order from the same outfit.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: ST on February 09, 2018, 04:51:39 PM
Are you seeing that too?
Now, come on. I think it is kind of unfair to take artistic license like that  :bgrin:
Did you ask Mike if you could abuse his photo?  :whistling:
I think it is an honorable pick guard, overall.
It is better looking than the pick guard on my C-05. Now THAT is not good looking.

Mike

Actually, is there any reason why the clear pick guards cannot be the same shape as the unclear ones?
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 09, 2018, 07:07:51 PM
Now, come on. I think it is kind of unfair to take artistic license like that  :bgrin:
Did you ask Mike if you could abuse his photo?  :whistling:
I think it is an honorable pick guard, overall.
It is better looking than the pick guard on my C-05. Now THAT is not good looking.

Mike

Does it satisfy the intended requirement?  That is, protecting the top of the guitar from the pick...

If yes, it is great.

If your goal is aesthetics, maybe, maybe not.

ed

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 09, 2018, 04:23:59 PM

First, the pick guard covers the rosette, the Larrivee guards don't.
Second, the pick guard goes all the way under the strings to almost the G string, and the Larrivee only goes as far as under the E string.

Here's a comparison with a Martin OM with essentially the same pick guard:

Quote from: Mikeymac on February 10, 2018, 08:24:33 PM
Here's a comparison with a Martin OM with essentially the same pick guard:
it looks fine. I was just observing.
Mike

I did like your guitar without pick guard but if you felt it needed one then I believe you've made a good choice. Looks nice to me. :thumb
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster
Fender Artisan customshop Rosewood Telecaster
Olav Loef 00 'Dav L'. 2018
Olav Loef slopeshoulder 'Charlien' 2019
Olav Loef OM/D 8 string 'Otto' 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015

Quote from: mike in lytle on February 09, 2018, 07:45:53 PM
Actually, is there any reason why the clear pick guards cannot be the same shape as the unclear ones?
Mike

First of all, I think the pickgurd is tasteful and I love the shape!
    Mike, I was thinking the same thing.  Because they can still be seen when the light hits it a certain way.  I'm thinking of trying to trim my clear pickguard, when it arrives from Larrivee, in a very similar shape as the OP.

2017 Larrivee D-40 8>)
2018 Taylor GS Mini Koa