Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TSA  (Read 489 times)
Larry Lizzard

Ignore
TSA
« on: February 04, 2018, 02:24:51 PM »

I met this American guy in Sweden who was afraid to buy a Rosewood Larry and fly back with it. He says that the TSA are cracking down on anything Rosewood and are confiscating concert musicians' instruments, including violins, cellos, whatever. He says this is something to do with Chinese flooding the market with cheap rosewood, maybe, dunno.
Is this just internet hype or is there any truth to it? I can't find any evidence. I just met this person so, naturally I am skeptical.

I did find this:
http://flyingwithguitars.com/2013/08/tsa-musical-instruments/

Larry

Larry Lizzard
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »

I haven’t traveled internationally with an instrument for many years now, but I was interested in one particular passage from your link:
“(We’re suddenly reminded of the curious story of a guitarist who checked her instrument after loosening the strings, as is widely recommended for packing guitars for travel. Upon arrival, she opened the case and found the guitar had been perfectly tuned.)“
Jean Larrivee disagrees vehemently. He has recommended in writing against this practice of loosening the strings.
String tension protects the neck from snapping when the case is dropped.
Larry Lizzard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 03:51:49 PM »

IKR. The TSA helping a novice guitarist :D
DO NOT loosen your strings ppl.

Ofc Jean is correct.

Larry Lizzard
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »

He will need  CITI's form even if build before 2017.I'm still waiting for my paper work from them so I can ship a guitar to one of our forum members in Belgium that was built in Israel in 2015.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »

I can’t thank you enough for that, Rob. You will be rewarded for your effort. It’s certainly a problem to get any guitar that has Dalbergia ( rosewoodspecies like indian, madagascar, kingwood, cocobolo etc) to Europe. Without Cites permit they are confiscated without exception. Exportpermit cost 75$, importpermit Europe 45$. Then you’re save. Special permits for travelling musicians and stores. Sellers don’t allways want to take this extra work even if the buyer takes all the costs. Not a good matter cause rosewood guitars will lower in value this way.

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 Jason Lollar 2008
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster 2018
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
Olav Loef 00 ‘Dav L’. 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015
Fender '57 Champ
B&G Prototype amp 8/100
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 08:31:16 PM »

Carbon fiber really is the undisputed international travel guitar nowadays.
hawkman71

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2018, 02:38:32 PM »

If your guitar is delayed and is tuned up, then you KNOW they had a little picking session with it in the break room. 😛

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »

If your guitar is delayed and is tuned up, then you KNOW they had a little picking session with it in the break room. 😛

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And if you find lyrics taped to the side 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: