Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review - Group of Seven Guitar Project DVD  (Read 490 times)
mike in lytle

Ignore
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:51:25 AM »

We got this DVD when I ordered the Thalia capo.
I know bits of it are on you tube but having it all in one place is better.
It is really good. Interviews with the guitar makers, and players of the guitars. Good playing of each of the seven guitars.
And good explanations of how each of the seven guitars related to the original artists.
It is clear Jean is the angel wings over the whole bunch.
Mike
markj

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 03:23:22 AM »

It is very enjoyable. I will watch it again.
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 05:40:57 AM »

Worth the trip.(I believe the exhibit is still running)
The opening day of the exhibit had all the builders there.
It was a very special day, I can try to post pics of everybody.

For us old timers, who were aware of who and when the apprentices started working with Jean, it was a treat to re connect and say hi after so many years.

Linda was the one who spear-headed the project.

The connection she drew between the original Group of Seven and the Luthier Group of Seven on the 50th anniversary of Larrivee builds, with Canada's 150th, and the gallery's anniversary took an incredible amount of planning, care, and love.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 02:39:16 PM »

Linda was the one who spear-headed the project.

I'm not surprised - it usually takes a woman to take something like this - something so  "relational" organized!

Hope that doesn't sound too sexist one way or the other (especially since she's obviously been extremely successful in what is generally a man's world of guitar building), but it is what it is!

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »

I'm not surprised - it usually takes a woman to take something like this - something so  "relational" organized!

Hope that doesn't sound too sexist one way or the other (especially since she's obviously been extremely successful in what is generally a man's world of guitar building), but it is what it is!

Bite my tongue.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »

She certainly builds very nice as well as expensive instruments.  I will never be able to afford one (not even used), but I would love to have one of her archtop acoustics...

George
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:34 PM »

Cool project, I'll have to watch this dvd.

In the '60s my mother was a good friend of the son of Group of Seven artist Fred Varley. I remember him coming to the house in North Vancouver for visits. My mother and Jim Varley met through a mutual friend. This was a long time ago! He often travelled to authenticate his father's paintings. Some Varley paintings are of N Vancouver's Lynn Valley, another one was called 'son of the artist'.

2002 LV-03
2016 D40re
skyline

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2018, 06:28:00 PM »

Worth the trip.(I believe the exhibit is still running)

Sure is worth the trip!

The exhibition is still running, until March 18, 2018:

Group Of Seven Guitar Project - McMichael Gallery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: