Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Cruz Parabolic Low Tension Strings - anyone try them?  (Read 483 times)
Casey86

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2018, 11:58:44 PM »

A local shop is carrying Santa Cruz Parabolic low tension acoustic strings.

They claim low tension , not gauge, is where the sound is at.
I'm wondering how they may sound on my LV-03. Anyone try them? They are expensive.
The shop (Blue Dog Guitars) has very high end instruments. They say low tension sounds best on small bodies and mid tension best on dreadnoughts and big bodies.

Is this actually silver tongue marketing?

https://www.santacruzguitar.com/santa-cruz-parabolic-tension-strings/

A review is here
https://www.fretboardjournal.com/columns/hands-on-santa-cruz-parabolic-tension-guitar-strings/

Edit
Just noticed this thread on the topic    http://www.larriveeforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=51757.0   
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:45:18 PM »

I haven't tried the Santa Cruz, yet. But ... I have tried:

• GHS Silk and Bronze 11's & 12's. 11's were too thin for the Larrivee nut. The 12's weren't really all that low tension. Lower, maybe. But not sufficiently lower.
  • Martin Marquis M1400 Silk and Steel. These were wonderfully low tension. But, they are 11.5s, and again, just that.much.too.thin. for the cut on the LV-03 nut
  • Newtone Heritage 12's. Might as well been 10s; Very low tension, but .... yeah, too thin for the nut cut.
  • Stringjoy Superlight Natural 11's. Which I was told would fit fine, and they did. Not exactly low tension. More like a Medium tension. They did sound good. But were not what I was looking for.
  • Optima Vintageflex 12's. These aren't even out on the market just yet. I managed to snag some pre-NAMM sets of 12s. They are a very good acoustic string. To me they are medium tension. But, I get to brag I got them pre-NAMM (name drop!!).

So far, the best low tension that I could actually feel on the guitar were the Martin Marquis M1400s. They actually felt low tension. Just needed to be 12's, not 11.5s. Well, the Newtones do feel low. Almost TOO LOW. The 13s might be cool to try. If they can be found.

I know that's not the Santa Cruz. But it's my experience with low tension acoustic strings. I plan on trying the SC's soon, tho'. Next time I can make myself spend $18 for a set of acoustic strings. Hope the price is justified. Willing to swallow the snake oil one time, just to see.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 11:06:25 PM »

Ok, I can't help myself! I just had to go to Blue Dog Guitars in Vancouver with my LV-03 and talk to them about the low tension Santa Cruz strings.

Paul, the owner, looked at my guitar closely. His conclusion is that the SC strings won't do what I'm looking for. (I'm surprised how much deeper our D-04 dreadnought is to the LV -03)

He suggested that my LV-03, although a 2002, is unused and it just needs to be played to open up it's sound. He said put the new light strings on I have in the case ...and play the thing. Awesome he was very honest.

Got home and put new Martin light strings (I happen to have a few sets). The guitar sounds great. Side by side with the D-04 the difference is subtle other than the e string lower notes. My plan is to try various sets, and as was pointed out elsewhere on this site, there is no hurry. 

Bluedogguitars.com have some incredible acoustic instruments. I suggest a look to see! Nice people too.
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:11:02 AM »

Gotta ask, what were you wanting the low tension strings to do? I tend to play acoustic much like I play electric. And I need to be able to bend them more easily than stock tension allows. My biggest issue with the Low-T strings has been fitting them to the nut.

So, what strings did you end up with?

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Casey86

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:40:11 AM »

I was hoping the low tension strings would 'open up' the sound of the top sitka spruce. (less tension = more sound)

I'm coming from the upright bass world where a carved bass needs to be played (I mean seriously played) to sound deep and sparkley. My uprights get thin sounding in the cold dry winter. When I'm playing gig after gig (77 gigs last year plus a ton of practice time ) in normal weather they do change how they sound. They get better.  Old basses that were originally made with 3 gut strings (150 years ago) are strung today with 4 and 5 high tension steel strings. The spruce carved top wood gets strangled. I'm thinking this wood sensitivity may apply to acoustic guitars. Maybe not.

The strings I put on are cheap Martin lights, because I happen to have a few sets. They sound great. I will try others.
sdelsolray

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 05:22:45 PM »

I was involved with the beta testing of the SCGC Parabolic strings.  Generally, the medium tension set has the same overall tension as other brands' light gauge sets and the light tension set is about 10 lbs less in set tension.  The string diameters in both sets are a bit different, as are the diameters of the core and windings (of the wound strings).  The SCGC strings are treated, not coated, similar to how the Martin Lifespan and Cleartone strings are treated.

In terms of sonics and behavior, I personally think the SCGC are excellent++, and they work quite well with many of my guitars.  Very good longevity too.

Strings are quite subjective and personal.  It's really up to each player to try them for themselves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: