NGD OM-40

Started by kenhan, January 21, 2018, 06:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

After emailing back and forth with John Jr. for a few months, I finally had a chance to stop by the Larrivée factory in Oxnard yesterday. The factory was closed, so it was just John Jr., myself, and later the man Mr. Larrivée himself, who gave a little tour of the factory and showed the guitars they were taking to the NAMM show this coming week. It was an incredible honor. I felt like a kid in a candy store, as the saying goes.

Prior to the visit I had communicated to John Jr. that I was mostly interested in trying out the 00 and 000. He brought out in total 6 guitars for me to try out. The sitka-rosewood 00 felt so comfortable, although sitka-mahogany 000 sounded a little better to me. Tough choice. What to do? In the end I chose OM-40, which I wasn't very interested before the visit, but it surprised me how much I liked it.

Even though I was by no means buying one of their higher-end models, both John and John Jr. could not have been more nicer and pleasant to talk with. It was an absolute pleasure and honor to meet them. It was just really nice to see that such great people were behind making these great guitars. This is my second Larrivée, and by no means my last!

As for the guitar itself...what can I say? The legacy series bracing does wonders. I don't think I have played a nicer sounding guitar anywhere near the price of this one. In fact I don't think I have played a nicer sounding guitar at 2x, 3x, even 4-5 times the price of this guitar, although admittedly my experience with very high end guitars is limited. It has a beautifully defined bass, solid middle, clear highs, all balanced very well throughout the spectrum. I could not be happier!

Very cool! A picture of your new guitar with the man himself.

Now that is a great experience all the way around!  Congratulations on all of it!

:nice guitar: Gotta like it when that happens.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

:nice guitar: and story! :cheers
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Man you have been able to do something many of us just dream about...  Congratulations on the guitar and meeting the Larrivee's in person!
George

Cool story, even cooler photograph.
Enjoy your OM-40 and congratulations!  :smile:
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Great story! My OM-40 has become my go-to guitar lately and I hope you enjoy yours as much.  :guitar 
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

I see the picture was taken in the "inner sanctum."

Very, very nice story and what a great experience and memory! Oh yeah...very nice guitar too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What a privilege and honor for you! As someone already mentioned, an unfulfilled dream for many of us.

:nice guitar:

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

What a great pic!  A dream of a way to buy a guitar for sure!  Enjoy!
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Congratulations, kenhan.
Great guitar and a picture to remind you of a great day forever.
A recent visit to Elderly and I was also very pleasantly entranced by the magic I heard emanating from an OM-40 there.
:thumb

OM-40 12 fret is, to me, the ultimate player guitar.

Congrats, what an experience  :bowdown: 
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Thanks for all the great comments. Even though I'm really happy with my new guitar, I'm haunted by the other guitars that I played that I didn't get to bring home. Ha! I really hope I can make a similar trip before too long!

Quote from: kenhan on January 22, 2018, 05:15:14 PM
Thanks for all the great comments. Even though I'm really happy with my new guitar, I'm haunted by the other guitars that I played that I didn't get to bring home. Ha! I really hope I can make a similar trip before too long!
And so it begins, the craving for more Larrivee guitars. Mine started with an LV, to an OM and then a O-01 parlor. There is no antidote, I'm afraid. :drool:
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)