Added some GOTOH 510s

Started by psp, January 17, 2018, 01:55:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, I decided to do a quick mod on my L04 and place the antique gold gotoh 510 tuners on. Nice 1:21 gear ratio. Tuning is rock solid. A nice vintage look rather than bright chrome. I did notice the posts were not as long as the Larrivee tuners. I was concerned i wouldn't get enough wraps around. I was able to get 2-3 winds on the posts. 2 on the low e...so this should be enough.

Normally I would cut the string off a post and a half longer. Low E and A are just cut a post length longer rather than the standard 1.5. All is good. Any considering the upgrade- go for it!

PSP

trouble with the pics...but here is a link
https://imgur.com/a/5mHKx

Nice. Were they drop-in replacements? Did the screw holes line up or did you have to drill new holes?

Yes, they are drop in. Set screw fit perfectly. Just make sure you are getting the right ones with the set screw on the angle. I did add some wax to the screws so they would drive better - helps a lot!

psp

Love the look of the 510 tuners. A nice upgrade.
1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

I like those tuners! 
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Charis makes really nice replacement buttons... not cheap, but nice.

https://www.charisacoustic.com/replacement-tuner-buttons/

THose look great!  :cheers But now I am rethinking putting the antique copper ones on my OM-01.  :? Maybe the gold will look better?

Quote from: psp on January 17, 2018, 01:55:56 PM
So, I decided to do a quick mod on my L04 and place the antique gold gotoh 510 tuners on. Nice 1:21 gear ratio. Tuning is rock solid. A nice vintage look rather than bright chrome. I did notice the posts were not as long as the Larrivee tuners. I was concerned i wouldn't get enough wraps around. I was able to get 2-3 winds on the posts. 2 on the low e...so this should be enough.

Normally I would cut the string off a post and a half longer. Low E and A are just cut a post length longer rather than the standard 1.5. All is good. Any considering the upgrade- go for it!

PSP

trouble with the pics...but here is a link
https://imgur.com/a/5mHKx

OM-01

Those look great- I'm thinking of doing the same upgrade.
Do you notice a big difference in performance over the original pings?

I have a set in my D-05 and just bought another. I will drop them into my new L-01 next string change. I really like them. Look nice, work well. Very smooth and accurate.  :thumb

I recently did the same on my OM-03R. They were supposed to go on something else but the original tuners threw a bushing and I figured that since it's my favorite guitar, why not? Now I wonder what I was waiting for?
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Yes, they look great, but I need to maybe buy another set with a longer post height. I need to find out what model those are. Does anyone know? Here is a quick snap shot of the difference in post height. The Low E string is the only issue with about 1.5 wraps.

Congrats on the Gotoh swap, looks great!

510s 18:1 came on a recent addition to the harem and I liked them so much I had to put them on my OO-05. Such a pleasure to tune now, I actually don't mind it cause I know the time spent will pay off.

Before I found my 510's off Amazon, what I discovered is that the factory makes a bewildering number of different models with longer posts that aren't easily found in the US. I don't think they actually have a US distributor that offers their whole extensive lineup. I did get in contact with a Gotoh customer rep and was told that you can order anything you like directly from their website (https://g-gotoh.com/international/product-category/guitar-machine-heads) But it's not gonna be cheap, and as it ships from the Japan it will take a while.

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Yes, Their options are seemly unlimited when it comes to post height and adjustable post height too. I'm wondering if I was sent the short post mistakenly? Any of you with gotoh 510s can you get more than 1.5 wraps on your low E string? It sure makes for a clean looking head stock with fewer wraps :) I will attach a picture.

Here's a pic of mine, the tuner post seems to measure 35 mm.

My Gotoh model is the SGL510. I currently have only 2 winds on the low E (with room for more) and it doesn't slip at all . . .

Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Well, I have some info:

1. Gotoh's standard string posts for SG510 tuners measure 22.2mm from the base to the center of the string hole. There are no short or long options available.
2. Gotoh does offer height-adjustable string posts that can extend a few millimetres longer, but are not available in the Aged Gold finish. Regular finishes they do.

So it looks like I will be keeping the aged gold ones in the pic above. the 1.5-2 wraps on the low E is fine as far as tuning.

Good to know, me I'm gonna stick with the chrome model I have for the LS I just got. . .

So it looks like I will be keeping the aged gold ones in the pic above. the 1.5-2 wraps on the low E is fine as far as tuning.

One thing I noticed is how thick the washer looks compared to mine. Maybe it's less impossible to find a matching washer and maybe file it down to get space for one more 1/2 wrap?

I just picked up a set of SGL510Z to replace stock Larrivée tumers on a 2012 SD-03.

The specs (https://g-gotoh.com/international/product/sgl510z.html) say the barrel diamter is 10mm but the plain gold version I have is about .5mm less so there is a bit of wiggle in the holes (before bolting down, or adding the set screw).

The Gotohs look and feel beautiful - but so do the 18:1 Larrivées that I upgraded to on my OM. There is no internal wiggle on the posts of the Gotohs, while there is significant wiggle on the posts of the original "standard Larrivée" tuners.

The Gotoh screws seem bigger than the originals too, otherwise I'd must shim the holes on the assumption I could flip back to Larriées in the future . . .

How was the diamter of fit in the existing holes on your install?

I measured both the original Larrivee tuner diameter as well as the Gotoh and they both came up 9.8mm. Seem to have the same taper. The headstock washers for both are 1mm, but I keep the original Larrivee washers on since I like the taper of the edges

The tuners installed on the LS are some kind of deluxe Larrivee offering, 18:1 with the gold embossed Larrivee logo and some nice brown wood buttons. The shaft has about 1mm of wobble which is kinda unfortunate compared to Gotoh's almost none. Like yours the Gotoh screws are bigger, so I reused the Larri screws for my install as well.

The SGS510Z Gotohs I have fit exactly the same as the Larrivee's, not snug at all with very slight play.

Thanks for the nudge, I'd been putting off installing them on my new (to me) LS-03 as I was still on the fence on keeping it. The new AL-Bronze strings finally settled in and I'm liking it much more.

Quote from: jpmist on January 23, 2019, 11:28:12 AM
I measured both the original Larrivee tuner diameter as well as the Gotoh and they both came up 9.8mm. Seem to have the same taper. The headstock washers for both are 1mm, but I keep the original Larrivee washers on since I like the taper of the edges

The tuners installed on the LS are some kind of deluxe Larrivee offering, 18:1 with the gold embossed Larrivee logo and some nice brown wood buttons. The shaft has about 1mm of wobble which is kinda unfortunate compared to Gotoh's almost none. Like yours the Gotoh screws are bigger, so I reused the Larri screws for my install as well.

The SGS510Z Gotohs I have fit exactly the same as the Larrivee's, not snug at all with very slight play.

Thanks for the nudge, I'd been putting off installing them on my new (to me) LS-03 as I was still on the fence on keeping it. The new AL-Bronze strings finally settled in and I'm liking it much more.

After the first screw became a problem, I used the old ones, as well. I would recommend that. Other than that, they work waaaaay better than the ones that I took off. 

There was some wiggle in the main peg-hole, so I added very tiny maple shims.
The screws actually fit exactly.