Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Binding/Inlay separation on C10  (Read 284 times)
Fairlight

Ignore
« on: January 17, 2018, 02:48:18 PM »

My '99 C10 deluxe is showing a few signs of age, but remains my most solid and dependable guitar. Fairly early on a slight crack separation started along the bottom of the sound hole where it meets the neck. Only noticeable when you run a fingernail across the outer, white inlay band (you can sort of see it in the image). It's a couple of inches long. I actually sent it to Larrivee years ago for a look, but it came back virtually untouched. Another similar separation has appeared along the dip on the top, side. Along the binding strip. It's only an inch or so long--for now.
Wondering if this is normal on aging Larrivee guitars? Anyone else have this issue? Is it anything to worry about? It is repairable? Am I overreacting? I also remember a shop telling me that Larrivee used a custom finish that was not a common product and b/c of that, couldn't repair it. Any insight and advice is appreciated.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:45:56 PM »

Can't tell much from those photos, but I suspect the finish has simply settled over the years, which is quite normal.  When this happens, it can look like cracks (the separation of the finish where different woods or materials are joined on the surface of the instrument).  It usually also creates visible "lines" along the grain of the top as it settles along the grain.

For peace of mind, take it to a repair person you trust and have them check for any actual cracks or separation.

nice guitar

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Fairlight

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 07:10:24 PM »

Thanks. Yeah, it's more of a separation.

FYI, here is Larrivee's response below. I do try and keep all of my guitars properly humidified, but I guess there's always room for improvement.

This is the first place dehydration shows. It is simply the spruce shrinking ever so slightly and pulling away from the rosette. These are not technically cracks. Keeping your guitar well hydrated is the best prevention. There is no major repair for this. Only a dab of cyanoacrylate glue along the area.  At this point, I do not see any need for concern. Only proactive approach to hydration and awareness. 
I would also recommend keeping the guitar in the case when not in use. Also consider room humidifiers that can adequately hydrate the room it is stored in.
*All solid wood guitars all behave differently. This is because no two sets of wood are identical. You can take two identical models and have one more sensitive to humidity than the other.

Thank you

Larrivée Service Department
Jean Larrivée Guitars Inc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: