Is Guitar Center good?

Started by LessPaul, January 15, 2018, 08:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

This came up in another thread, and it seemed to merit it's own topic.

What're the pro's & con's?  Would you send your friends and family there?  Have you been burned?  Have you found the staff knowledgeable?

Quote from: LessPaul on January 15, 2018, 08:48:22 PM
What're the pro's & con's?  Would you send your friends and family there?  Have you been burned?  Have you found the staff knowledgeable?
You have been a member of this group for two days.
Do you own a Larrivee?
Would you recommend a Larrivee to someone else?
Do you find this forum group knowledgeable?
IMHO, GC is a fine place to walk into if the air outside is polluted.
Never been burned. No opinion on pros and cons..... they have a ton of stuff.
Staff? Well, I just go in to look around, so no opinion there.
We have a nice GC and a nice Sam Ash both within a few miles of my favorite store (where I spend most of my money).
I go into the GC and Sam Ash stores to test the echo when I shout "I am here", which is tough with all the other racket going on.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

I like Guitar Center, buy strings and a t-shirt there now and then, and usually spend a little while kicking tires in the acoustic room.  They are generally nice stores with a lot of guitars to try.  What's not to like?

I think Guitar Center has done more damage to the music industry than any other business ever.   I'll dance when they go under.

Ed

I liked playing and not buying guitars before, but now have two used guitars from them, with a very generous 45-day return policy. 

One of the archtops will be returned and I'm happy as a clam with the other.  My salesperson has been very helpful.  What's not to like?
Play it daily for best results.

Quote from: eded on January 26, 2018, 01:45:34 PM
I think Guitar Center has done more damage to the music industry than any other business ever.   I'll dance when they go under.

Ed
Damage as in shutting down smaller shops?  That is tough.  Where I live we have some excellent smaller shops, and then there have been some real bums.   Dishonesty happens in small and large shops in my experience.  I still buy strings now and then at my favorite small shop.  I think they'll make it. 

Quote from: eded on January 26, 2018, 01:45:34 PM

Ed

Yes, GC and online sales tax free places.  But some liability falls on the shoulders of the industry too, and their buy-in requirements.  It's easy for the big dealers who have a lot more buying power and out of reach for a lot of small independent stores.  I won't set foot in a GC.  I know a lot of people will disagree with me, but I've got my reasons.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

Boy,what a question!
Me? I have a love hate relationship withGC
I just bought a great Yamaha fg800 for my
Daughter there,good deal,very good guitar
And alot of times u can get a good deal