Nominate February 2018 GOTM

Started by JOYCEfromNS, January 07, 2018, 04:23:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Come on, guys...this is making me sad.  Let's support each other, not hurt feelings (not that I am suggesting we need to create safe spaces  :humour:).  But this is supposed to be fun and relaxing.  Maybe too many of us have cabin fever?  We're better than this.    :smile:
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I thought it was refreshing to have some commentary that was beyond the normal _________________ fare.

Quote from: tuffythepug on January 12, 2018, 05:47:31 PM
All of a sudden we seem to have gotten testy with one another.
:donut :donut2 :coffee
So what? Joyce's original comment included "wrong season" which in context of what NS has been going through in relation to Steve having to wear long pants is probably a valid emotional response. I dig it. I have my own response to the framing. That photo would not get my vote any more than having a rabid dog as part of the picture, or a background of clear-cut Washington forests.
I gave a suggestion for reposting the instrument photo to make it a positive vote for me.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: markj on January 12, 2018, 02:47:47 PM
I nominate headsup's photo of his OM collection...
Not good enough.
At least Steve had the entire uke in the photo.
Kevin, why omit the head stocks from the photo?
Maybe we could have been distracted if there had been added some snow, a reindeer, wolf, or an aurora in the night sky?
Add the head stocks and the photo will be a contender!
Mike

Quote from: mike in lytle on January 12, 2018, 08:27:33 PM
Not good enough.
At least Steve had the entire uke in the photo.
Kevin, why omit the head stocks from the photo?
Maybe we could have been distracted if there had been added some snow, a reindeer, wolf, or an aurora in the night sky?
Add the head stocks and the photo will be a contender!
Mike

Um I didn't nominate my picture, some-one else did.
The original post has a few  pics of those guitars, one with just the headstocks.
I think it's under "OM sweet OM".
And yes- I'm one of those repeat offenders, because, well, I'm a card carrying, flag waving, foot stomping Larrivee owner, and player,
and, well I take pictures of my guitars, and i like to share those pictures, just as I like to see others' Larrivee's.

Too bad that the Pineapple Uke pic is getting such negative reviews.
being a northerner and not knowing much about the vegetation in question, i thought it was a great way to "frame" a Koa Uke.

How about this concept.
Clearly, lack of interest and now quibbling over silly staging and vegetation maybe is the fall of the GTOM empire ( yes stick "Rome" in there) and it's the same scenario.

or "let them eat cake".

Walkerman Steve is ruffled (rightly so), Andrew is upset ( rightly so) over.....
um...
pictures of our favourite guitars, and other's are chiming in, with not so warm and fuzzy comments on the matter.

Here's an idea...

Take a few months off of GTOM, and just post generic shots from the website ( WITH headstocks-heaven forbid), or.
a nice little GTOM thing, inside a coffin to stir up interest/discussion.
Or just nothing.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Let's keep it in perspective folks.

Everyone is allowed to express their opinion and that includes mods.
Andrew posted his opinion.  And you know, that's all it was; simply Andrews opinion. Steve decided to pull his submission. That's up to him, too. Nobody made him withdraw the image.
Years ago I had an artist paint the top of one of my guitars and the process was published on this forum.
If became clear to me that some forum members were not pleased with either my decision to do that or the image that the artist painted on it.
You know you just can't please everyone. I welcomed opinions on that guitar, both positive and negative.
GOTM is still alive.  Forum traffic overall is down. And not just on this forum but lots of forums.  Everybody has busy lives and many more options than we did years ago.
So, like it or don't like it. I'm pretty sure that's why we vote; right?
Deep breath.
Now carry on, folks.

Quote from: headsup on January 13, 2018, 12:46:22 AM
Um I didn't nominate my picture, some-one else did.
You are right, and I was over insistent, and that lead to trouble, which I caused.
I seem to do that now and then.
Anyhow, I shall do some remedial work on myself, by playing something I don't play well over and over until it is perfect.
Kinda like writing on the blackboard "I won't do that again", over and over.
Both pictures are fine. It isn't like we are printing a calendar or anything.
Off to the woodshed.....
Mike

Quote from: Queequeg on January 13, 2018, 10:34:04 AM

Forum traffic overall is down. And not just on this forum but lots of forums.

Deep breath.
Now carry on, folks.

The gotm is not the big deal that folks like to assign it. 

The forum (as much as I like it) is a clunky dinosaur compared to other options...  like Faceborg. 

My default opening page is "unread posts since last visit".  I haven't seen the gotm pic for at least a year.

Just trying to keep things in perspective.

If you think it's important, post an entry.  Those who care to will vote. 

Ed

I would like to nominate Andrew's 30th anniversary Larrivee.
Not sure where a picture is, but that's my second choice since the Koa Uke is gone.

Like over 50?

Hi Folks,

I've got no taste or skills when it comes to photos but if someone would like to nominate one of the pictures on this page, that would be nice. 1980 C38

Thread was closed by time I got back here - So I'll leave this one up.

I would but I already nominated one. Is it permitted for a person to nominate more than one photo?
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on January 16, 2018, 01:12:02 PM
I would but I already nominated one. Is it permitted for a person to nominate more than one photo?

No.  See rule #7   Someone else will have to do it.

Quote from: ST on January 16, 2018, 12:27:32 PM
Hi Folks,

I've got no taste or skills when it comes to photos but if someone would like to nominate one of the pictures on this page, that would be nice. 1980 C38

Since the photos are already on the nomination page just tell us which one to ignore and the other one will be nominated.

Feb 2018 winner from the single qualifying entry
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Sorry not to see Andrews 30th anniversary in some form or other.

Sad, also about Walkermans Koa uke not re appearing.

Maybe the moderators can talk amongst themselves and then have a poll or a candid discussion of the GTOM issue?

How many members?

how many "active" members?
How many care?

so many guitars, so few photos.......

Like over 50?

Quote from: headsup on January 31, 2018, 08:47:34 PM

Maybe the moderators can talk amongst themselves and then have a poll or a candid discussion of the GTOM issue?

Trust me.
We did.
Congrats, Kevin.  :wave

Everyone is allowed to express their opinion and that includes mods.
Andrew posted his opinion.  And you know, that's all it was; simply Andrews opinion. Steve decided to pull his submission. That's up to him, too. Nobody made him withdraw the image.
Years ago I had an artist paint the top of one of my guitars and the process was published on this forum.
If became clear to me that some forum members were not pleased with either my decision to do that or the image that the artist painted on it.
You know you just can't please everyone. I welcomed opinions on that guitar, both positive and negative.
GOTM is still alive.  Forum traffic overall is down. And not just on this forum but lots of forums.  Everybody has busy lives and many more options than we did years ago.
Deep breath.
Now carry on, folks.

Quote from: Queequeg on February 01, 2018, 02:21:48 AM
Trust me.
We did.
Congrats, Kevin.  :wave
:+1:  fine guitars Kevin.  I remember the painted guitar, Mark you are a gracious person.

Mark, do you still have that guitar? Was it an OM 03?

Indeed I do.
It's an L09.
Great guitar and Peter Cree did a great job on it.

(IMHO)
:bgrin: