Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NGD L-05 Custom  (Read 683 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:27 PM »

I figured this was worth a new thread - my end of year/Christmas/birthday (in a couple more days) purchase arrived last Friday. Fortunately, I was gone until Sunday, so I couldn't open the box too soon after it traveled across the country (and came here from Cali to Minnesota) during one of the coldest weeks of the year! So it sat in my office undisturbed for over 48 hours.

Unboxed it Sunday evening and was very pleasantly surprised as I examined it and played it... 

...full story (the short version) is that this is a guitar I ordered as a custom over 2 years ago, and after a 9 month build time, it arrived with the wrong top wood (I ordered mahogany; it came with spruce).  So I chose not to keep it and not to reorder.

The guitar showed up a number of months later on Reverb, and I watched it for some time. I finally decided that someday I would want an L-05/hog Larrivee anyway, so why not get this one with all the other specs I ordered before? So when the time and price and my finances were right, I bought it.

Pics below - as for the build and sound - it sounds much better than I remember when I first saw it a couple years ago, but that was under very different circumstances. Let's just say it sounds very, very good, and I know it will only get better! It's balanced and LOUD; the one place I look for it to improve over time is in the trebles (B and E string); they should thicken up as the guitar ages; right now they still sound a little thin to my ears (very different from my 25 year old OM-05, which has strong, thick trebles).   

I like the woods (see pics). The top has lots of character (but no bear claw, which is a plus), and the hog on sides and back is wonderful. I ordered ebony binding on the fretboard, and diamond fingerboard inlays, Larrivee open back tuners, and the rope soundhole rosette. It also has mahogany body binding and an ebony heel cap.

Construction is excellent, although there are a few places around the rope rosette where it looks like there is some bleeding... but as the wood darkens and ages, it will show even less than it does now. I had to clean off a little rubbing compound from the side of the fingerboard around the soundhole. And the frets are a little sharp on the edges - some of that could be from traveling in very cold weather; it's in my humidified home office with my other acoustics, so I'll see how they are after a week - if needed, I can clean them up a little. At that time I'll also change strings and oil the fretboard and bridge. I'll also lower the G, B and E slots just a little; they're a little high for my liking, the low E, A and D are just fine.

Over all, a very nice guitar, and I'm happy to be reunited with it.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 08:45:26 PM »

nice guitar

Very nice,so how many lefties that make from Larrivee?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 09:14:43 PM »

Very nice,so how many lefties that make from Larrivee?

See my current list below, Rob.

I'll try to remember every Larrivee I've owned, don't know if I can do it, but here goes (in order of purchase - all lefty unless otherwise noted, the ones I still have are bold-faced):

OM-05
P-01 Parlor (early parlor, right-handed, for my daughter's 14th birthday; she still has it, in Japan!)
LV-09
D-03R
Forum IV 00
D-03 IS (Italian Spruce top, special run done through Jim Holler at Trinity Guitars)
RS-4 Rootbeer Burst top
RS-2 Custom: all satin finish (which led Larrivee to do satin finished RS-2's as standard)
Bakersfield sunburst finish with neck mini-humbucker, maple board
RS-4 Candy Blue gloss finish (purchased from another forum member)
C-10 IS Italian Spruce top over Silver Oak b/s
L-19 from 1979
L-05 Custom (the latest)

I think that's every Larrivee I've owned since my first one 25 years ago - If I think of others, I'll revise the list...

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 09:44:37 PM »

nice guitar Rev.  Do you regret not keeping it the first time around?  I had one come in with the wrong top and they made me a really good deal to keep it....  No regrets for me.

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 10:46:13 PM »

nice guitar Rev.  Do you regret not keeping it the first time around?  I had one come in with the wrong top and they made me a really good deal to keep it....  No regrets for me.

George, no regrets, because instead I bought a Gibson J-45 which I've really enjoyed. And I'm sure I got a better price on it now than I would have been able to negotiate originally. And the time to "get over it" has allowed me to really like it and accept it for what it is as a spruce top guitar - if I'd originally kept it, I'd have always felt like it wasn't quite right.

So I'm a happy camper.

mattwood

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:57:19 PM »

I had an L-05 and it was a great all around guitar that I wish I still had.  As the spruce darkens over time it will really look pretty and the tone only gets better.  I would suggest trying some Martin Retros with it.  They seem to pair very well with this guitar and really bring out the woody sound and last a long time.  Congrats!
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 11:33:09 PM »

What's not to love about that guitar!! It's a beaut. Just something special about the 5-series, to me.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 11:46:43 PM »

I had an L-05 and it was a great all around guitar that I wish I still had.  As the spruce darkens over time it will really look pretty and the tone only gets better.  I would suggest trying some Martin Retros with it.  They seem to pair very well with this guitar and really bring out the woody sound and last a long time.  Congrats!

Yes - I really like the Monels on my other hog guitars (currently on D-18 and OM-05) and even on Rosewood guitars, so there will be a set on here sooner or later to try. Thanks. 

mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 12:57:11 AM »

What can I say? I am very happy for you.
The L-05 is the bullseye of the entire Larrivee line, IMHO. The L-09 is the compliment.
My L-05 was the first Larrivee I obtained, and still have, and based on my happiness, became the first of many.
All of which I am pleased with.
Mike
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 02:37:47 AM »

Rev what wood is the binding?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 02:40:47 AM »

nice guitar very nice indeed !, I just don't understand how they got the order wrong, I mean there are specs, so how does the "wrong" top get installed? I would have thought more attention to detail on their part.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 03:05:49 AM »

Congrats, very nice looking guitar. I’ve looked many times to this one on reverb.

Barefoot Rob, the binding is mahogany. According to the seller normally not done by Larrivée.

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 Jason Lollar 2008
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster 2018
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
Olav Loef 00 ‘Dav L’. 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015
Fender '57 Champ
B&G Prototype amp 8/100
markj

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:14:25 AM »

A real beauty!   

nice guitar

Great story too. 
photodork

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 04:18:40 AM »

Man, thats a pretty one. Ill bet it sounds good too. Congrats!

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 01:59:05 PM »

Rev what wood is the binding?

Barefoot Rob, the binding is mahogany. According to the seller normally not done by Larrivée.

This ^^^

Yes - my original intention was for the guitar to be all mahogany and ebony (except for interior braces and kerfing, of course).

Man, thats a pretty one. Ill bet it sounds good too. Congrats!

It does sound quite nice - looking forward to how it will sound in 6-12 months. 

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:03 PM »

Yes - I really like the Monels on my other hog guitars (currently on D-18 and OM-05) and even on Rosewood guitars, so there will be a set on here sooner or later to try. Thanks. 
I put a set of Monels (12s) on my LV-03RE. Not quite the low tension I'd hoped for. Also seem a bit dark for a Rosewood guitar.
I really like the Marquis, but have only put them on the L-03E Sitka. The 11.5 I gives me some string buzz. Seems I'd need to redo the nut to accommodate the thinner higher strings. That's stopped me from trying them on the Rosewood LV.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 04:37:18 PM »

And the frets are a little sharp on the edges - some of that could be from traveling in very cold weather; it's in my humidified home office with my other acoustics, so I'll see how they are after a week - if needed, I can clean them up a little. At that time I'll also change strings and oil the fretboard and bridge. I'll also lower the G, B and E slots just a little; they're a little high for my liking, the low E, A and D are just fine.

Gave myself a little extra birthday present last night and spend some time touching up those prickly fret edges and lowing the nut slots (lowered all to some degree except the low E string). The neck/frets feel great now, and the guitar plays much easier in first position - love it even more. Played until will past midnight and the "end" of my birthday.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: