Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter NAMM 2018  (Read 302 times)
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« on: January 05, 2018, 12:46:15 AM »

Heard Gibson not going, how bout Larrivée 

Anyone from here going 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 05:12:14 PM »

Also read that somewhere else about Gibson... maybe they figure they have enough notoriety (heh, heh...).

Wish I could go sometime, but I don't have the connections.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
2016 L-05 Custom
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 03:14:31 PM »

Larrivee will be there, and with some really nice guitars ..... esp. some koa ones.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 03:19:22 PM »

If they're doing koa, will there be some ukes there, too?

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
LessPaul

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:45:30 AM »

Gibson not showing up makes me nervous.  I wonder if they're being sold, or even going under

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »

Gibson not showing up makes me nervous.  I wonder if they're being sold, or even going under

I doubt it. They're introducing new models. And there's no limit to Henry J's arrogance; who knows what he's thinking, or what he has up his sleeve?

They ARE deeply in debt; so is Fender, and so is their main customer, Guitar Center (they're basically bankrupt). It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next couple years.

It would NOT be good for GC to go down; if they had to sell off their floor stock at pennies on the dollar, that would hurt local mom 'n' pop shops bigtime.

But no one thinks that will happen. Someone will come in and buy GC's debt at pennies on the dollar and keep them going. Again, who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry - didn't mean to veer so far off topic!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 12:46:20 AM »

I doubt it. They're introducing new models. And there's no limit to Henry J's arrogance; who knows what he's thinking, or what he has up his sleeve?

They ARE deeply in debt; so is Fender, and so is their main customer, Guitar Center (they're basically bankrupt). It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next couple years.

It would NOT be good for GC to go down; if they had to sell off their floor stock at pennies on the dollar, that would hurt local mom 'n' pop shops bigtime.

But no one thinks that will happen. Someone will come in and buy GC's debt at pennies on the dollar and keep them going. Again, who knows? We'll just have to wait and see.

Sorry - didn't mean to veer so far off topic!

Personally, I’ll dance the day they fold.

They have done more to hurt the guitar market than any other force in history.

Ed
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:41:17 AM »

Personally, I’ll dance the day they fold.

They have done more to hurt the guitar market than any other force in history.

Ed

We're going off topic, but I'm also no fan of GC for several reasons. 

I'm curious what you mean by they've done more to hurt the guitar market - and that's a serious question - I don' t necessarily disagree with you, I just want to hear your reason/s. 

They are a business, and they have a right to do business. They've run themselves into the ground, and Fender and Gibson both got into bed with them (and of course, Taylor, and just about every other brand, including Larrivee from time to time). 

I was fortunate when I lived in Omaha, we had a local small "chain" of 3 (and sometimes 4) stores that had a solid business model and an excellent reputation; they make the local GC look ridiculous. They have a much better selection of quality guitars across the board than GC, even though they certainly don't have the deep pockets of the "Goliath" chain.  They will almost ALWAYS beat GC's and MF's prices, and they have great service after the sale and excellent techs at 2 of their 3 stores.

I've now discovered a local shop in Sioux Falls (90 minutes from where I live) that is just down the street from the GC there, and again, I much prefer to do business with them. There store is cleaner, they actually have some decent left-handed guitars in stock (tempting me!) and they gave me a great price (below MAP) recently on a Katana 50 amp.

So there are good stores out there that will give GC plenty of competition.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2016 L-05 Custom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: