Went to Yarnell Place

Started by Walkerman, December 23, 2017, 12:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saw a beautiful cedar topped hog parlor.   Sorry for poor quality ... used my phone.
N
[/url]IMG

IMG

:nice guitar:

I am sure it won't be on Reverb long.
Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Martin HD-28 v18 (EIR/Sitka)
Martin OM-21 Special (EIR/Sitka)

Beauty - clear pick guard woulda been nicer tho   :ohmy:
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Why is it going to be Reverb soon?

Quote from: mattwood on December 23, 2017, 02:00:17 PM
Why is it going to be Reverb soon?

Yes, this ... instead of going to a dealer?  :?

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I'm a tad confused here.
Is "Yarnell Place" in Oxnard California?

I'm confused as to Jeans apparel.
I was just out shovelling snow and had to cancel tonights gig because of cold temperatures, snowfall warnings and bad road conditions.

I might have been wearing something similar to what Jean is wearing in this picture. (probably was).
Last i checked it was around 17 degrees farenheight outside my door.
How cold is it in Oxnard?

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

Quote from: headsup on December 23, 2017, 06:06:24 PM
I'm a tad confused here.
Is "Yarnell Place" in Oxnard California?

I'm confused as to Jeans apparel.
I was just out shovelling snow and had to cancel tonights gig because of cold temperatures, snowfall warnings and bad road conditions.

I might have been wearing something similar to what Jean is wearing in this picture. (probably was).
Last i checked it was around 17 degrees farenheight outside my door.
How cold is it in Oxnard?

Jean Larrivee Guitars USA Inc.
1070 Yarnell Place
Oxnard, CA
USA 93033-2454

It was in the 50's today.  Our blood is thinner here. :nice guitar:

Quote from: Walkerman on December 23, 2017, 07:14:41 PM
It is a second.

That makes more sense.  I thought you bought it and it was already going to Reverb.  Does Larrivee sell guitars on Reverb?  If so, under what shop name because I haven't seen it before.

Quote from: mattwood on December 24, 2017, 07:00:22 AM
That makes more sense.  I thought you bought it and it was already going to Reverb.  Does Larrivee sell guitars on Reverb?  If so, under what shop name because I haven't seen it before.

For a while their shop supervisor listed some NOS and seconds on Reverb at Oxnard Guitar Works, but I do not see any products listed there now...
George

Quote from: mattwood on December 24, 2017, 07:00:22 AM

I could not say.  That was just an assumption on my part since it was a second.  I guess I shouldn't assume.

Quote from: George on December 24, 2017, 08:16:42 AM
For a while their shop supervisor listed some NOS and seconds on Reverb at Oxnard Guitar Works, but I do not see any products listed there now...

His shop closes up every now and again. Probably away for the holidays or something. Check back again in the new year is my guess. If you have a reverb account you can follow his shop and listings. Every time a new item is listed you will get a notification.
OM-01

When I purchased my new LV-03RE Cedar Top, the dealer mentioned he'd been told there were no more Cedar Tops a'coming. Something about the quality of cedar available not being up to snuff for JCL. Yet here's a nicely topped Parlor. Which I think is gorgeous!! If only I needed (ha!) a Parlor.
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

Quote from: tulk1 on December 26, 2017, 05:10:44 PM
When I purchased my new LV-03RE Cedar Top, the dealer mentioned he'd been told there were no more Cedar Tops a'coming. Something about the quality of cedar available not being up to snuff for JCL. Yet here's a nicely topped Parlor. Which I think is gorgeous!! If only I needed (ha!) a Parlor.
'

Jean says he hates working with cedar because they have so many problems with it.  Too many repairs.

I love cedar tops.  when you get a good one, they sound incredible...
George

I would like to hear more of Jean's specific concerns with cedar.  Lots of classical guitar are made with it.

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 26, 2017, 07:19:22 PM
I would like to hear more of Jean's specific concerns with cedar.  Lots of classical guitar are made with it.
That was his concern .... bridges and bracing pull off.  He said you have to baby them.  That being said, I have a cedar topped Pacific parlour by Goodall, and I absolutely love it.

Quote from: Walkerman on December 26, 2017, 08:24:16 PM
That was his concern .... bridges and bracing pull off.  He said you have to baby them
:ohmy: No, no, no. I just bought a cedar topped LV. So, no, no, no .............
Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."

For what is it worth I have a cedar topped OO that was made in 2004.  I have had it since mid 2013 and have had no issues. I just play on the couch but it gets  played 3-4 times a week.   I seem to remember reading some more details of JCLs opinion on cedar.  I am pretty sure it was somewhere on the forum and may have been in the AMA Mathew did a while back.  If you search for cedar the a number of threads.

Edit: I did some searching and here is the post I was thinking of 

Cheers

Quote from: Strings4Him on December 26, 2017, 07:19:22 PM

In the early seventies, when I bought my first larrivee, it had a Cedar top.
At that time, Jean swore by cedar.
It can be a problem wood, not as stable as Spruce.
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...