What guitars did you buy and/or sell in 2017 (Larrivee and others)?

Started by Mikeymac, December 21, 2017, 04:11:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know I will forget something.

Added a OOO-40 R and a six string Ovation.

Gave a 000 RK  Dirty Thirties to a granddaughter.

A Lakewood D-1 that I've had for five years is gone.

A friend wants one of my Larrivees, as my friends do from time to time. He's a very close friend so it's just a matter of us getting together. I'll let y'all know when it's actually gone. I'm still playing it for now.

I have acquired a pawn shop Yamaha as well. Needs a little TLC.

Sure seems like more than that happened. I did try very hard to get a nice Guild jumbo maple 12 string. Got discouraged by the dishonest descriptions and gave up.

Quote from: Danny on January 07, 2018, 03:09:18 PM
I know I will forget something.

Thanks for the reminder...

One I forgot, I had "long term loan" lent my VoyageAir VAMD-04BK to a friend of my sons.  The guys house got broken into and the guitar was one of the things that grew legs.  Frown.

Ed

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on January 07, 2018, 12:03:24 AM
Nice pictures, psp.  I'll post some pics of the Lado bass tomorrow.

Waiting...  :gotpics:
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass

Since this is still going. I sold my old Gibson J-40 and I'm shipping it out today.

Quote from: Danny on January 10, 2018, 10:52:19 AM

Since this is still going. I sold my old Gibson J-40 and I'm shipping it out today.

Hmmm... Does this belong in 2017 or 2018? I think this calls for a new thread... I'll get 'er started here soon...  :whistling:

BTW - I've never heard of or seen a Gibson J-40...?  I've heard of/seen the J-35 and J-45 (and now the "new" walnut J-15)...

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 11, 2018, 09:10:41 AM
Hmmm... Does this belong in 2017 or 2018? I think this calls for a new thread... I'll get 'er started here soon...  :whistling:

BTW - I've never heard of or seen a Gibson J-40...?  I've heard of/seen the J-35 and J-45 (and now the "new" walnut J-15)...
It's a square shouldered dread, pinless bridge and double X bracing. Made in Kalamazoo.

I won't post anymore New sales or purchase here.

I acquired a SG Classic Custom 2007 Guitar of the week #38-Antique cherry with white pick guard and gold hardware, 57 classic pups, ebony board. Pretty cool guitar. And just before Christmas I received my  Collings I35 Deluxe- "Dr. Pepper Sunburst quilt top with Lollar low wind HBs and ebony board. Good thing it took 8 months to build because it took that long to save up the money...lol.

Quote from: Marauder on January 11, 2018, 03:36:10 PM
I acquired a SG Classic Custom 2007 Guitar of the week #38-Antique cherry with white pick guard and gold hardware, 57 classic pups, ebony board. Pretty cool guitar. And just before Christmas I received my  Collings I35 Deluxe- "Dr. Pepper Sunburst quilt top with Lollar low wind HBs and ebony board. Good thing it took 8 months to build because it took that long to save up the money...lol.

Both of those sound pretty cool...   :gotpics:

Here is a pic of the SG and Collings. I would really like to see a Larrivee semi-hollow some day!

Marauder,

Those are both very unique and cool! Congrats. 

Would love to try out a (lefty) Collings semi-hollow sometime, but it would just lead to terrible GAS! (Jerry's Lefty Guitars in Florida has them...)

:+1:

I received my Kopp K35 (ordered in 2016) and received back my '44 Gibson J45 that was dropped off in late '16 to be fixed to be playable. Both are as good as it can get for me.! :smile:
Dave
'12 L-03RW Italian Spruce (Wildwood)

Quote from: dave42 on January 15, 2018, 01:26:40 PM
I received my Kopp K35 (ordered in 2016) and received back my '44 Gibson J45 that was dropped off in late '16 to be fixed to be playable. Both are as good as it can get for me.! :smile:

:gotpics: PLEASE!!!

Sold this Martin MC-DSM Italian spruce over koa, and bought the Collings OM1A

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 15, 2018, 10:14:09 PM
:gotpics: PLEASE!!!

Sure thing! Not sure which one you'd like to see, so here are both...
1944 Gibson J45.

2017 Kopp K35

Shown with a Collings CJ35G (left) and John Walker Wise River (right)
Dave

Wow! That's quite a foursome of slope-shoulder dreads! They all look like they can really thump and growl!

Are the specs on all of them similar (not even a belly bridge among them!)? All Gibson scale? Any uniquely different bracing on any of them?

The Kopp's have a great reputation; I'm not familiar with Walker (have only heard of them). I've been tempting to get in line for a Pre*War guitar - either a J-45 style, or maybe go all the way and get their Brazilian Rosewood D model.

All are 24 3/4 or 7/8" scale. The Collings has 3 non-scalloped tone bars... others have 2 tone bars. The Collings and the Kopp are more the direct J35 type tone. The Walker is the richer toned guitar... J45ish. Of the 3, the Kopp has so much personality and just makes you want to play. Construction is top notch. My favorite of the 3, but all 3 have their own qualities.

The Gibson is a guitar that I bought at a real reasonable price. Had all the repairs done. What tone! Here's the J-45 story.

I've heard nothing but good about the Pre-War guitars. Good luck in your decision!
Dave

Quote from: dave42 on January 17, 2018, 10:16:47 PM
All are 24 3/4 or 7/8" scale. The Collings has 3 non-scalloped tone bars... others have 2 tone bars. The Collings and the Kopp are more the direct J35 type tone. The Walker is the richer toned guitar... J45ish. Of the 3, the Kopp has so much personality and just makes you want to play. Construction is top notch. My favorite of the 3, but all 3 have their own qualities.

The Gibson is a guitar that I bought at a real reasonable price. Had all the repairs done. What tone! Here's the J-45 story.

I've heard nothing but good about the Pre-War guitars. Good luck in your decision!
I'd love to see the Collings bracing. Very nice collection.
BTW  I had a pre-war dud, a 1939 F hole Arch top Martin. Looked great, sounded like it was full of socks.

Quote from: Danny on January 17, 2018, 10:29:42 PM
 I'd love to see the Collings bracing. Very nice collection.
BTW  I had a post-war dud, a 1939 F hole Arch top Martin. Looked great, sounded like it was full of socks.

Yes, the Gibson was a bit of a mess when I bought it. Bridge pretty much off, loose braces, etc. We had no idea how it would sound. The person who worked on it had 5-6 old Gibson guitars ahead of it. Some, when finished, sounded pretty good, and some not so much. When I went to pick it up he had it tuned and just handed it to me with a huge smile on his face. This guitar lit up the room! I got real lucky with it.

Below is a pic of a sitka CJ35 (same year) I had for a short time, same bracing. Although not scalloped, they are tapered. I really like the German top on mine. It's a more direct sounding, yet more musical tone. Also, even having 3 tone bars, it is very loud.

Dave

Quote from: dave42 on January 18, 2018, 06:55:36 AM

Below is a pic of a sitka CJ35 (same year) I had for a short time, same bracing. Although not scalloped, they are tapered. I really like the German top on mine. It's a more direct sounding, yet more musical tone. Also, even having 3 tone bars, it is very loud.

Interesting how the end block does not touch the top - allowing it to vibrate more freely. That's a well thought out, nice touch - the sign of a top notch luthier.