Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What guitars did you buy and/or sell in 2017 (Larrivee and others)?  (Read 2555 times)
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: December 21, 2017, 10:11:47 PM »

As the title says - what guitars (we'll stick to guitars) did you buy or sell this year? If you want to tell us why, that's okay, too. Pics allowed, too!

Guess I'll have to start...

Bought a '68 Martin 00-16c - lovely, light, loud, tuneful...but I just didn't play it enough, so
Sold the 00-16c - ironically back to the person who sold it to me (says something about the guitar!)
Bought a nice MIJ Takamine 12-string to scratch that itch. Plays and sounds quite good, will stay.
Gave away two very low end electric guitars (for the cost of shipping). Trying to thin the herd!

Ordered two guitars that will arrive next year:
Custom Shop Martin 0000/J-18 (with neck and trim/finish specs taken from the 2012 D-18) Probably arrive mid-year.
Emerald X20 Artisan carbon fiber guitar - should arrive in Feb./Mar.

And...the year isn't over yet, I may make one final offer on a guitar to see if the seller wants to move it by the end of the year...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:33 PM »

what guitars (we'll stick to guitars)

Why only guitars? This makes me feel left out, since I traded a guitar, but I can't say what I traded it for?
Especially since I have mentioned during this year on the forum what instrument I would really like to have another of, and also what instrument I was seriously interested in as a result of another forum member playing such an instrument in a very impressive manner?
I think I will go out on the breezeway in our late afternoon sunny 75 degrees, here in beautiful Lytle, Texas and have a cold beer.
Mike
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2017, 11:12:16 PM »

I got two Larrivée Custom Shop guitars in 2017:

An SD-50 with a full body sunburst finish, 1-13/16” nut width, and a paddle headstock with a torch inlay.

An LSV-11 50th Anniversary Edition. In terms of ornamentation, it’s kind of a hybrid between the “50th upgrade package” and the “full-on” 50th. Koa rosette, body binding and fingerboard binding, plus 50th lady headstock and impossible knot fingerboard inlays. Dimensions are standard for an LSV-11, including 1-13/16” nut width.

Got them late in the year and I’m still breaking both in. Hope to post some pictures after the holidays.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:09:43 AM »

I first saw it on their Facebook, then found out who had it for sale. A 000-40 moonwood/bloodwood. It has the Larrivee standard symmetrical bracing. The next one (not likely to happen) will be a 12 fret L with torch inlay.
Blessed Christmas to all

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 03:19:56 AM »

I was fortunate enough to get a great deal on a new Larrivee L-10, and I also got a great deal on a Guild D1212, all mahogany 12 string.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 04:31:01 AM »

Slow year for me, I guess...

I bought (actually traded some old keyboard gear) for a Martin 12 string (solid spruce top, some sort of laminate/composite back and sides).  Great deal imo.

Ed
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 02:26:51 PM »

And...the year isn't over yet, I may make one final offer on a guitar to see if the seller wants to move it by the end of the year...

The deal is done. Will arrive next week, right at the end of 2017. 

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 12:45:15 PM »

My nephew's girlfriend thought he needed a new hobby (learning to play the guitar) and she guessed wrong.

I bought his (Un) used Alvarez Artist dreadnought with Sitka top, laminated mahogany back and sides, Shadowburst finish on top that still had the tags and blank warranty card hanging on it. I picked it up off the stand in his office and played it for a few minutes. My wife said it sounded really good and I should buy it which I correctly assumed was her consent. I don't think it had ever been played and he used the cash to buy her a nice present.

I've been playing it since Thanksgiving and haven't even changed the strings yet. Amazing guitar for $200 and nice contrast to my rosewood dread that I keep tuned down a whole step.

TEH

Larrivee Parlor Flamed Maple
Larrivee LV-03 12 string w/ Mahogany Top 
Martin D-35 Shade Top
Martin OM-35 Sunburst
Martin 000-18 custom w/3 piece mahogany back, 12 fret slotted headstock
Martin Backpacker w/Nashville tuning
Oahu Square Neck
Alvarez Artist AD60SB
Kala Soprano Ukelele
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 08:06:54 PM »

Only bad thing... my guitar is traveling cross country in this awful cold this week! Tracking says it's in Lenexa, KS today, where it is currently 11 degrees.   crying

Fortunately (I guess) when it arrives on Friday, it will have a couple days to warm up, as I won't be home to open it until sometime Sunday evening (it's being delivered to my place of work, so it'll be waiting in my office when I get home).

I know some builders (like Martin) won't ship guitars in extreme weather like this.  I can understand why.

AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »

Is a Baritone a guitar?

Musician's Friend SDOTD in November, couldn't pass it up.

Pretty sure I sold my old Olympia "mis-Chief" this year.  Pics are on Photobucket and I don't feel like moving them.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2017, 03:42:50 AM »

Lets see ....

• Bought a Crafter SAT TMVS huybrid acoustic/electric. Think T-5(ish). Played it most of the year. Turned it
  • Traded my Taylor XXX for a Fender Eric Johnson Strat
  • Sold the Strat, bought a Larrivee Lancaster (I got the better end of ALL that)
  • Purchased an Eastman Octave Mandolin (love it!!)
  • Purchased a Larrivee LV-03RE Custom - it's at my "guy" getting set up for low tension strings

I think there's more, but I'll have to check my records.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2017, 05:25:36 AM »

Bought an Ibanez SR-655BBF 5-string Bass
Bought a Squier Strat for $25 and have since done fret work on it; improved the neck pocket, and made a superstrat out of it. Still deciding if I should change out the tone pots.

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
photodork

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2017, 04:17:44 PM »

I didn't buy anything new this year, but i did sell my 1992 washburn nuno bettencort ea22 acoustic. I got what i paid for it in '92, so that was a nice sale.

My girlfriend gave me a mint epiphone tbunderbird bass and '83 bass rockman headfone/preamp.  Wonderful gifts!

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 03:58:38 AM »

Sold a great Larrivee d02 to buy bass guitar that I decided mot to
Persue,gave away my D03r to my buddy who doesn't play it,
(that's another thread)
Plan to get a do3 again
David
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 08:22:28 PM »

I posted about my Larrivee L-05 Custom in the main forum, but I also saw an opportunity to pick up something different for cheap, so I also bought myself another "guitar" for my birthday (Jan 4).

It's a Cordoba Mini R (rosewood).  Interesting little instrument... more or less a travel guitar that is tuned a 5th higher than standard (so A, D, G, C, E, A). And it has nylon strings. Has an amazingly big sound - loud anyway, and a full neck profile even though it's a short neck, so it's easy to chord, fingerpick and strum.

This was priced at $249. (There was also a koa topped version next to it, but that one didn't have near the volume or tone, even though it was pretty.) I played it for awhile and didn't really think about buying it, until I noticed it had a crack neck to the fingerboard going through the rosette into the soundhole (see pics). Then I noticed another crack under the bridge all the way to the body binding. A significant crack, and yet it didn't affect the sound at all.

I showed this to the salesperson, who then took it to show to their tech (whom I neither saw, nor talked with). She came back and said, "Yeah, it can be fixed, it's about a $75 repair (which the buyer wouldn't be charged for). I said I'd buy it as is - what can you do? She went down to $150. I asked if she could do it for 150 with the tax included (around $10). She quickly said yes and we had a deal.

I've restrung it left-handed...sounds good. Later I may address the cracks, but I'm just humidifying it for awhile to see how things look once it's settled in.

Pics...

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 07:36:33 AM »

Last summer I bought a mint condition sunburst Standard Strat HSS (MIM) with original HSC for less than half the retail cost of a new one.  It plays and sounds fantastic and was set up so well already, I hardly had to do any tweaking to make it perfect.

A couple of months ago, I bought a Seagull Maritime SWS Folk HG with a Tric case for an incredible price of $150.00.  It had been hanging on a wall and slipped onto the floor doing some crushing/cracking damage to the top right at the butt end.  The case alone is worth what I paid.  The crushing doesn't affect the sound at all, and I'll be able to repair it eventually, but there is no rush to do so.  It's all solid wood, sitka over mahogany with a gloss top.  Here is a link to it, although mine doesn't have the electronics as shown.  http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/products/16-maritime-sws-folk-high-gloss-qit

I didn't sell any guitars last year, but I definitely need to sell several in 2018.

My current list:

Acoustics
Larrivee OM-03, 2008
Larrivee L-07, 1982
Larrivee L-40 12-string, 1985
Seagull Maritime SWS Folk HG, year unknown but fairly recent.
Lyon & Healy parlor CA 1900-1920, all solid wood.  Repaired and restored by me several years ago.

Electrics
MIJ Squire Strat, 1985 with extensive upgrades over 30 years. Purchased new in 1985.  My first electric guitar.
Warmoth Telecaster 1951 blonde replica built by myself in 2011
Gretsch Electromatic Pro-Jet with Bigsby, with retrofitted P-90s CA 2008?  Purchased from Uncle Rob
Larrivee Forum V RS-4 with Larrivee P-90s, 2011, original owner.
1970's MIJ Les Paul copy restored and refinished by me with all new hardware and electronics in 2015.
1970's Raven Gibson SG copy (lawsuit guitar) all original.
Standard Strat HSS MIM, year unknown but fairly recent.
Hand built "Tele-Gib" hybrid in Cherry Red with Larrivee Gen 2 humbuckers built by me last year.

Basses
Fender MB-4 Bass MIJ, purchased new in 1989-90?
1970's Fernandes P-bass copy MIJ (lawsuit guitar), all original.
1980's J C Lado Bass made in Canada, neck-thru, restored with new electronics and tuning machines by me in 2016.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

photodork

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2018, 12:53:19 AM »

I didn't sell any guitars last year, but I definitely need to sell several in 2018.

My current list:

Acoustics
Larrivee OM-03, 2008
Larrivee L-07, 1982
Larrivee L-40 12-string, 1985
Seagull Maritime SWS Folk HG, year unknown but fairly recent.
Lyon & Healy parlor CA 1900-1920, all solid wood.  Repaired and restored by me several years ago.

Electrics
MIJ Squire Strat, 1985 with extensive upgrades over 30 years. Purchased new in 1985.  My first electric guitar.
Warmoth Telecaster 1951 blonde replica built by myself in 2011
Gretsch Electromatic Pro-Jet with Bigsby, with retrofitted P-90s CA 2008?  Purchased from Uncle Rob
Larrivee Forum V RS-4 with Larrivee P-90s, 2011, original owner.
1970's MIJ Les Paul copy restored and refinished by me with all new hardware and electronics in 2015.
1970's Raven Gibson SG copy (lawsuit guitar) all original.
Standard Strat HSS MIM, year unknown but fairly recent.
Hand built "Tele-Gib" hybrid in Cherry Red with Larrivee Gen 2 humbuckers built by me last year.

Basses
Fender MB-4 Bass MIJ, purchased new in 1989-90?
1970's Fernandes P-bass copy MIJ (lawsuit guitar), all original.
1980's J C Lado Bass made in Canada, neck-thru, restored with new electronics and tuning machines by me in 2016.

Any pics of that Lado bass? Lado guitars were pretty sweet .

1975 Larrivee L style
2006 Larrivee OM-03 MQ
1967 Ovation Josh White signature, 12 fret, shiny bowl
yamaha fg450sa
washburn mg-70
line6 variax 300
Parker pm20 quilted bubinga
epi Thunderbird IV bass
markj

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 10:48:28 PM »

I got two Larrivée Custom Shop guitars in 2017:

An SD-50 with a full body sunburst finish, 1-13/16” nut width, and a paddle headstock with a torch inlay.

An LSV-11 50th Anniversary Edition. In terms of ornamentation, it’s kind of a hybrid between the “50th upgrade package” and the “full-on” 50th. Koa rosette, body binding and fingerboard binding, plus 50th lady headstock and impossible knot fingerboard inlays. Dimensions are standard for an LSV-11, including 1-13/16” nut width.

Got them late in the year and I’m still breaking both in. Hope to post some pictures after the holidays.

Wow!  Really looking forward to seeing these! Especially the 50th Anniversary Edition. 
psp

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 04:57:32 AM »

2017 was a good gear year for me:

Four new guitars for me in 2017. In this order.

#1 Fender Stratocaster: Fender Classic Player '60s Stratocaster Guitar Sonic Blue
#2 Fender Squire Strat. Relic'd it and modified it with new pickups and refinished the neck with a vintage amber and new decals.
#3 Yamaha Revstar 820CR "Rusty Rat"
#4 Larrivee L04: A 'new 2014' Gloss top, Satin RW back and sides Gotoh tuners on the way.

Also bought a Line 6 Helix, Alto 210 FRFR monitor, Boss looper, LR Baggs anthem pickup system for my Taylor GS mini.

I think that's it for 2017..hmmmm Oh, and sold a PRS Custom 22 and a bunch of gear. I will find a pick. It was sooooo nice, but paid for most of the above haha.

Some pics:

L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »

Nice pictures, psp.  I'll post some pics of the Lado bass tomorrow.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: