Adhesive question

Started by mattwood, December 20, 2017, 08:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am using a Neck Up guitar support on my L-03 Zw that has a satin finish.  The suction cup doesn't stay attached on the matte finish very well but it came with a Duralar adhesive film that you attach to the side of the guitar.  It's just a clear film with adhesive on one side and  it makes it easier for the suction cup to stay on.  I contacted Larrivee support but they state they were unfamiliar with the product and redirected me here.  Does anyone here know if an adhesive film would cause any problems to the finish?  Thanks.

Though they might me closed for the season you should contack them.As for me I wouldn't put anything on my so it fit right in the stand.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I am making an assumption here that you are sitting and wanting the guitar to sit in the 45 degree neck up classical position?  I have found that the suction cup supports do not work well on most of my guitars.  I finally opted for a Flanger FA-80s (www.flanger.com) which is a dual tapered faux leather covered cushion that sits on top of your thigh and it does not move around.  Once set to your liking, the guitar can be released and it stays put as long as you don't move around too much  Works extremely well with all guitar shapes, and you do not need a foot rest at all...
George

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 20, 2017, 11:47:01 PM
Though they might me closed for the season you should contack them.As for me I wouldn't put anything on my so it fit right in the stand.

As per my original post, I did contact them and they were unfamiliar with the product.  The support is not something that stays on the guitar.  Only the microthin adhesive sheet.

Quote from: mattwood on December 21, 2017, 01:33:53 PM
As per my original post, I did contact them and they were unfamiliar with the product.  The support is not something that stays on the guitar.  Only the microthin adhesive sheet.

You might want to contact the maker of the Neck Up and see if their adhesive sheet is compatible with the Larrivee finish...  and if they will be responsible for any damage, should it occur.

Ed

The maker of the stand was what I was referring too.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: mattwood on December 20, 2017, 08:36:59 PM
I am using a Neck Up guitar support on my L-03 Zw that has a satin finish.  The suction cup doesn't stay attached on the matte finish very well but it came with a Duralar adhesive film that you attach to the side of the guitar.  It's just a clear film with adhesive on one side and  it makes it easier for the suction cup to stay on.  I contacted Larrivee support but they state they were unfamiliar with the product and redirected me here.  Does anyone here know if an adhesive film would cause any problems to the finish?  Thanks.

:donut :donut2 :coffee

I would answer sooner, but since this is my first post, I had to carry these #^$$^ donuts. Uphill. Both ways. But since they're here, let's enjoy them.

The short answer is your guitar will be safe with the Duralar pad.

The longer answer goes like this. All Larrivee satin finishes are catalyzed (as referenced elsewhere in the forum), and therefore pretty inert chemically. The adhesive on Duralar is acrylic, and considered a permanent adhesive. This stuff really holds strong, but because it's going on a catalyzed finish, there is no chemical reaction between them. If you're less than committed to having the Duralar pad on your guitar, you could use a material using a rubber-based adhesive. It holds a little less than acrylic, but is, well, rubbery, and easier to remove. It is harder to find than acrylics, and I don't see an advantage for the rubber unless it is going on a solvent based (lacquer) finish. Honestly I have no concern about using the acrylic. While it is very strong, and the manufacturer says it's permanent, it's only permanent until you expose it to a little naptha, which will not hurt your guitar's finish, if you ever want to remove it.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I put one on my L-02 this morning.

Now back to the donuts. Plain or filled? Pass the cream and sugar please.....       

Quote from: wrench on December 25, 2017, 03:46:03 PM
:donut :donut2 :coffee

I would answer sooner, but since this is my first post, I had to carry these #^$$^ donuts. Uphill. Both ways. But since they're here, let's enjoy them.

The short answer is your guitar will be safe with the Duralar pad.

The longer answer goes like this. All Larrivee satin finishes are catalyzed (as referenced elsewhere in the forum), and therefore pretty inert chemically. The adhesive on Duralar is acrylic, and considered a permanent adhesive. This stuff really holds strong, but because it's going on a catalyzed finish, there is no chemical reaction between them. If you're less than committed to having the Duralar pad on your guitar, you could use a material using a rubber-based adhesive. It holds a little less than acrylic, but is, well, rubbery, and easier to remove. It is harder to find than acrylics, and I don't see an advantage for the rubber unless it is going on a solvent based (lacquer) finish. Honestly I have no concern about using the acrylic. While it is very strong, and the manufacturer says it's permanent, it's only permanent until you expose it to a little naptha, which will not hurt your guitar's finish, if you ever want to remove it.

And to put my money where my mouth is, I put one on my L-02 this morning.

Now back to the donuts. Plain or filled? Pass the cream and sugar please.....       

Thanks for the informative reply Wrench.  I contacted the Neck Up manufacturer and he said basically the same thing as you although not as much in depth from a chemistry standpoint.  Good to know.  I had gone ahead and put it on a couple of days ago and it definitely helps with holding the suction cup.  Since you helped me out, the least I can do is return the favor. :donut :donut2 :coffee