Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: larrivee 2nds ?  (Read 954 times)
DaveyO
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 25, 2018, 02:51:59 AM »

Checking out a Larrivee on reverb that is listed as a factory
2nd,I've never heard of such a thing,anyone?
Dave
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 03:24:52 AM »

I thought I remember them saying they don't label 2nds, but that a dealer might use that description.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:40:00 PM »

Yes, I have seen some.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »

When I worked at a Larrivee dealer we bought seconds from them.Why they were seconds were for amazingly silly reasons,they were never marked as such.We sold them as seconds for really low price's.I owned a couple myself.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »

When I worked at a Larrivee dealer we bought seconds from them.Why they were seconds were for amazingly silly reasons,they were never marked as such.We sold them as seconds for really low price's.I owned a couple myself.

I would bet dollars to donuts that some dealers sold the as new, not blems.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2018, 06:08:35 PM »

I would bet dollars to donuts that some dealers sold the as new, not blems.
And for that reason if Larrivee is selling 2nds, they really should mark it somewhere to indicate just that

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 07:17:17 PM »

And for that reason if Larrivee is selling 2nds, they really should mark it somewhere to indicate just that
If you bought a guitar, would you want it marked with a big scarlet “S”?  Sometimes you need to trust who you are dealing with.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2018, 09:22:00 PM »

If you bought a guitar, would you want it marked with a big scarlet “S”?  Sometimes you need to trust who you are dealing with.
If it were a factory 2nd, that would be highly appropriate. The reason 2nds are marked it that sellers will often ask full price if not, and then the maker looks bad because the impression is given that this is a standard example of their work.
Also, I don't know what guitars you are buying but "scarlet S" is overly dramatic. They are usually a stamp on either the back of the headstock or the soundhole sticker. Not enough to affect the cosmetic beauty but an appropriate heads-up to buyers.

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2018, 09:29:08 PM »

If it were a factory 2nd, that would be highly appropriate. The reason 2nds are marked it that sellers will often ask full price if not, and then the maker looks bad because the impression is given that this is a standard example of their work.
Also, I don't know what guitars you are buying but "scarlet S" is overly dramatic. They are usually a stamp on either the back of the headstock or the soundhole sticker. Not enough to affect the cosmetic beauty but an appropriate heads-up to buyers.

If it were your guitar, you would see it every time you saw the guitar.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2018, 09:58:34 PM »

I guess it depends on whether one can see the reason for it being marked a second. It surely doesn't mean the guitar is functionally flawed.   
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »

Notable Guitars has one for sale now.  Call it a "blem"  http://www.notableguitars.com/SmokingDeals.htm

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2018, 11:54:19 PM »

Notable Guitars has one for sale now.  Call it a "blem"  http://www.notableguitars.com/SmokingDeals.htm

that one has been there for a couple of years.  I started to buy it several times...

George
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 01:10:11 AM »

If it were your guitar, you would see it every time you saw the guitar.
No. I've owned a couple and never saw the 2nd stamp unless I was changing strings. In fact, I commonly forgot the stamps were there and I'm a person who is meticulous about cleaning my instruments of fingerprints after every play.
Also, even if someone does look for it and is bothered, well boo hoo. The thing is sold at a discount. If you can't live with the stamp, buy a full priced guitar. I know you like to defend every single thing Larrivee does but there's a reason that marking 2nds is a standard industry practice. Not all guitar dealers (or Larrivee dealers) are honest. I have first hand proof of that. Marking 2nds is the right thing to do if they are sold to the dealer at a discount.

tulk1

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2018, 05:05:36 PM »

I'm in the "they should mark them" camp. My second favorite electirc guitar company puts a very noticeable "2" stamp on any 2nd. Unmistakable. And like the Larrivee 2nds, most times you'd be hard pressed to see why. But, it's there.

Kenny

Quote: "You know, all things considered, we are very, very lucky to have all that we do, an embarrassment of riches, actually."
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:49 AM »

I'm in the "they should mark them" camp.

I remember seeing a few Larrivees in the late 90s that had a small red dot on the label.  I was told that was how Larrivee marked cosmetic blems.  Finding the blem was... challenging.   

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
rosborn

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »

Isn’t there a dealer near the factory that sells Larrivee seconds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: