Why Did Larrivee Bail Out Of Guitar Center?

Started by sc morris, June 30, 2003, 06:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

i've never really understood why this happened....but i just assume that gc was not taking care of the guitars.  they do a really bad job....at least in my area....of taking care of the guitars in the store.  i was just in there yesterday looking for a new gutiar strap and saw some really high end guitars with parts missing and some serious damage done to them.  maybe they can't help it with so many people in and out of there....but they could do a little better imo.  just curious as to why this happened.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

Hi SC,

I almost wish it was because they didn't take care of their instruments. However, from what I understand, obviously hearsay, it pretty much went the same way as it did the first time Gibson pulled out. GC owed them money, wanted more inventory Iand[/I] expected a better price for supposedly buying in the quantities they do. It sounded almost like blackmail. When Gibson and then Larrivee refused they discontinued their relationship. I don't remember what happened sales wise with the Gibson line when it pulled out. I do remember GC blowing out Larrivees at ridiculous prices when their partnership dissolved. Eventually Gibson and GC resolved their differences, too bad. I hope Larrivee and GC never resolve their differences. That in spite of the fact that I got both of mine there. They don't deserve such fine instruments, imho.

GC's different spins, as told to me by various employees, on why they stopped selling Larrivee: "They just weren't selling." "Nobody knows the name." "They don't stand behind their instruments." And, the best crock award goes to, "They just don't make as good a guitar as Mahten, Gibson or T*****!" Sure, if that's the case then why do they have a room full of Takamine, Yamaha, Ibanez, Fender, Mitchell, Olympia and various other lower quality guitars?

Why GC will never be great or maybe even go the way of Mars Music, their reputation. Their salesmen may be able to play a little but they seem like refugees from a car lot. I've heard outright lies told to make the sale. While maybe it appears to be inherent with commissioned sales, that's still really no excuse. As well, they don't offer anything on trade ins anymore - same as buying a car.

Just before they discontinued the Larrivee line there was a D09 in the store that someone had dropped and split the upper side rib from the waist down toward the lower bout. The split was clean and about 8 or 9 inches. I asked if they would consider blowing it out. Instead what they did was repair it and sold it as new with no reduction, beyond their roughly 30%. I was the one who found the guitar and pointed it out the manager. I know the outcome because I followed through to see what happened with the guitar. The manager was a friend and was candid with me about many things. I am glad to say he has moved on. So have I. I know one should say never, but, I will never buy another GC guitar.

thanks for the info....i've just always wondered what actually happened.  that does make sense though.  big companies like gc sometimes tend to get the big head and think that people can't sell their product without the blessing of gc.  but, i'm really glad to see that larrivee is alive and well without the help of gc.  i really love to see mom and pop shops sell good guitars.....at better prices than gc all day long.  gc's lowest price gaurantee is crap......they don't like to hear that but it's true.  if you find a lower price then they'll try the old....."hey, i'll try the case in for free" line.   when, in reality, the case is part of the purchase price.  this is something they do all day long, to unsespecting people, when selling taylor guitars.  it really irratates me to see them try to rip people off. i actually used to go in there and buy lots of product....until i educated myself on things and figured out that there are much better deals out there if you look. there are shops in my area that will lose money just so you won't go to gc to buy something.  gc will probably always be around....just for the simple reason that all the beginners seem to go there.  and they can stay in business by ripping off beginners for years to come.  it's really a shame to think of it.  there will be some kid....who could and should become a good player.....and some idiot at gc sells him some piece of junk that will not hold tune and the guys loses interest in music all together.  it happens all the time, i'm sure.  but mars was the same way.  i had some of the clowns who worked there try to sell me something that i knew more about than they did.  and when you call them on it...they try to play dumb.  it's just a game to these guys.....a way to make a quick buck and move on.  the mom and pop shops have me vote and will continue to get my money!!

i really don't know why i still go in gc though.  sometimes i will just find myself in there looking around....and actually buy some strings or something from time to time.  afterwards, i always ask myself why i did it.... it's just one of those strange things in life.  but, i never make a major purchase in there....that's a rule for me.  but still, i'm sure i'll go in there to check out the new stuff....and be tempted to buy something.....strange thing indeed.  
 Groucho Marx

Hmmm, I just go in to see what's new. However, I go a lot less these days. Funny, I just got a call, "Hi, this is Chuck at GC. Just wanted to see if you got the postcard we mailed to you?" Yup, I got it. It was one of those "Get one of the following for free after you spend $15 on your next purchase." cards they usually send out after you buy something. I haven't bought anything there for over a year. Anyway, he called me a preferred customer. He also said tomorrow morning they would be opening at 8 AM. The first 50 people through the doors will have an opportunity to win a free guitar. I asked what kind. He didn't know. I asked if electric or acoustic. He didn't know that either. I may go. I'll take a freebie even if it comes from GC. :D

I went, except mine didn't give anything out.  They did give out a $1500 Gibson on Memorial Day, and there were only about 30 people there.  A 1 in 30 chance to win $1500, which I would have put towards an L-03BW in a heartbeat.  Of course, I didn't win. :)

But they were advertising huge sales, so I went.  There was barely anything on sale.  I will never buy anything there, but they do have decent selection.

They were selling a Taylor 615ce for $1500.  I thought that was a crazy price.  I played it a little, then turned it around to check the flame on the back (it's maple, FYI).  Sure enough, HUGE crack and gouge running down the back.  The guy (about 22 yrs old) looked at me sheepishly and said, "You weren't supposed to look at that."  GIVE ME A BREAK!  I don't trust those guys, and I never will.

Too bad . . .

Both Guitar Centers in my are are well managed and have excellent customer service.  I've bought three TAYLORS, (Oh my, I actually spelled out TAYLORS).  And have a custom 814 on order from them.

I know there have been some that have had bad experiences but, that doesn't mean they all suck.

Oh by the way - TAYLOR, TAYLOR, TAYLOR.

Geez, give me a break with the T***** Crap!
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

That remark about Larrivee not making as good an instrument as taylor, martin or gibson shocks me.
It's baloney, and we know it. I wonder if GC's not carrying Larrivees will make Larrivee's harder to get, and hence more valuable?
Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I rate my L-05 right up there with my Taylors, Gibsons and Guild.  Excellent craftsmanship and attention to detail.  It sounds pretty good too  :)  
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

QuoteThat remark about Larrivee not making as good an instrument as taylor, martin or gibson shocks me.
It's baloney, and we know it. I wonder if GC's not carrying Larrivees will make Larrivee's harder to get, and hence more valuable?
larrivee is every bit as good as any builder out there....anyone who says otherwise is uniformed or uneducated on the matter.  i did research for over two years on larrivee and taylor to decide which brand to buy.  i went with larrivee due to value and options.  there is nothing wrong with a taylor.  they are top of the line and the company is top notch as well.  it's just that larrivee is the best value....plus taylor doesn't make a blackwood guitar either.  martin is also a quality product.....just not my cup of tea...  gibson on the other hand makes good electric guitars....but i'm not sure what they're doing on their acoustic line.  i've never played one that i liked....give me a takamine or alvarez any day over a gibson.  

i love the fact that you have to look hard for a larrivee and that they're not in every gc in every town.  i'm glad they pulled out and hope they will do well in the future.  
 Groucho Marx

I'm a Larrivee Guild guy.One of the reason I like this forum is there didn't seem to be  the guitar back biting,I have issue with taylers but I don't  say it's trash compared to other guitars,each guitar has its voice,in my case I've got the best of both---LARRIVEE and Guild.So let's play nice.Even though I only sll martins and gibson used,OK they sit forever when we hand someone a LARRIVEE!!!!!!!!!
By the way if you don't kiss there a** and do what they want they bad mouth you and no longer carry the line,Unless you p*ss them off and become a Larrivee dealer down the street.Then they transfer all the left over stock and try and blow it just to show you who's boss,but then again guitars that need to be set up and restrung have a tendancy to sit.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Just for the record . . .

Besides my wonderfull Taylors (355, 614ce. 714ce, Big Baby), I also have a Guild D-55, Larrivée L-05, Gibson J-55, Gibson SJ, Seagull Artist Grand and several other little parlors, classicals and electrics.

So, the bottom line, I think they're all great and each has it's own voice and application . . . and it's just plain fun!!!   :P  
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

Don't know why Larrivee is not in Guitar Center, but Guitar does not seem to be doing bad as one response implied.
Their stock went from around 15.00 last year and is currently around 29.00.

I think it depends on the store Manager. We have a pretty good one here and I know the long term employees and have received some great deals on great guitars there..

QuoteThat remark about Larrivee not making as good an instrument as taylor, martin or gibson shocks me.
I love how friends who own Taylors and Martins (814c and D-35) seem to always have my OM-05 in their hands the moment I put it down......they cant get enough of my "dragon" B)  

I have 2 Larrivees and of the other twenty something guitars in the house 4 of them are T******. So I've paid for the privilege of spelling the name however I feel. If you don't like it, Roman, too bad. They don't want their name on the internet or in print so I honor that request. If they had allowed advertising I might even have more T******. I'll go out of my way to see a Larrivee. I'll go out of my way to see a Gibson. I'd even go out of my way to see a Tacoma or Guild. Because I know their value before I even go to the store. I wouldn't go out of my way for a T***** because they take that aspect of shopping for the best deal away from me or, at least make it more difficult. It's anti-American I tell ya! It goes against life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Why, because happiness is getting a guitar for the best price it can be had for. :D

Besides, Jean Larrivee was the one who trained B** T*****. I just went to the source, so to speak, when I got my Larrivees. Which, by the way are 2 of the best guitars I've ever played not just owned. I got the T****** for good deals and/or some trading.

Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't own a Mahten. I've played at least 100 in my lifetime. I've only played 2 that were worth owning but not worth what they were selling for. In my opinion they are only good for one thing...  

Cranky Yankee  

Cranky is very a very appropriate "handle" . . . shame, shame.

TAYLOR - TAYLOR - TAYLOR

:rolleyes:  
Johnson L Body
A&L AMI
Cort Earth 900
Taylor Big Baby
Gold Tone PBR
Regal RC-51
Fender R48
Ariana Classical
Seagull Artist Grand
Gibson SJ
Gibson J-55
Taylor 355
Taylor 414
Larrivée L-05
Guild D-55
Taylor 614ce
Taylor 714ce
Taylor 814c
Kent archtop
Silvertone archtop
Les Paul Custom

NANA NANA BOO BOO YOUR t$$$$$ smells like DOO DOO........Scooby Doobie DOO :P  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Sorry just having a laugh :lol:  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I asked this question on another forum and I got an email from Matthew Larrivee.  He said (I hope I remembere this correctly) that Larrivee had decided to devote its attention to smaller dealers that offered more persoanlized service.  Whatever.  

At my local GC, the last Larrivee they had was a beautiful D-10e for about $2200.  Then one day I walked in and it was marked down to $1495.  I was temped but I needed a new guitar like a moose needs a hat rack.  Then the salesman left a message on my home phone saying they had reduced it to $785.  By the time I called back somebody had snatched it up. Oh well. :(  

My understanding is Bob Taylor and Jean Larrivee are friends.  So what's the big deal about not spelling Taylor on the Larrivee forum?  I've got my Larrivee listed on my Taylor forum profile.  Love my 710ce but take and play my Larrivee Parlor everywhere! :)  
2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2