Maddie OM-10 at Elderly....

Started by fitness1, December 15, 2017, 09:11:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Loriente Clarita EIR/Euro spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"

wonder whats coustom about it? nice guitar but the listing says its a ooo body. odd

Quote from: dlsteel on December 15, 2017, 09:25:12 AM
wonder whats coustom about it? nice guitar but the listing says its a ooo body. odd

Madagascar Rosewood - limited run, not really "custom"
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Abalone, fretboard inlays and bridge inlays do not look standard to me.

Quote from: Walkerman on December 15, 2017, 10:03:00 AM
Abalone, fretboard inlays and bridge inlays do not look standard to me.

They are on the more recent (last 10 years or so) 10 series...
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

Gorgeous guitar!  Tempting but...
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Why do they also call it a 000 as well as a OM?
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 15, 2017, 02:01:03 PM
Why do they also call it a 000 as well as a OM?

I think sometimes the low guy on the totem pole writes the descriptions - I see lots of errors, especially with model years, nut width etc.   Notice how many used guitars on their site are "recent" - some are 20 years old!
Charis SJ Koa/Sitka

That's a darn good price...considering it's excellent condition. They're lookin for a quick sale for sure.
CS-09 (Mastergrade Sitka/Ziricote)

My album "Woodscapes" and others available at www.dustinfurlow/shop

Fingerstyle and original tunes on my YouTube channel:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCw7w0i3AF8xTuN6iYB-gCkw

OM's are per definition a 000 body with a full (Martin) scale length.
It is the scale length and more often than not the nut-width which determine the OM- or 000- designation.
Martin's 000-28 EC is a "short scaled OM" with a 14-fret neck-joint.

This Larrivee looks like a killer guitar!!

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure

Quote from: Zohn on January 17, 2018, 05:30:58 AM
OM's are per definition a 000 body with a full (Martin) scale length.
It is the scale length and more often than not the nut-width which determine the OM- or 000- designation.
Martin's 000-28 EC is a "short scaled OM" with a 14-fret neck-joint.

This Larrivee looks like a killer guitar!!

OM body is shaped differently than a 000. The 000 is typically more peanut shaped, vs the rounder OM, and sits differently in the lap. If it were a 000 I might consider it.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: Dustinfurlow on December 25, 2017, 01:02:19 AM
That's a darn good price...considering it's excellent condition. They're lookin for a quick sale for sure.

I wish the seller the best and I hope he gets his money but unfortunately given today's depressed market it may be wishful thinking.  It's a buyer's market and they want them for close to nothing.  

Quote from: gtrplayer on January 17, 2018, 10:26:20 AM

I wish the seller the best and I hope he gets his money but unfortunately given today's depressed market it may be wishful thinking.  It's a buyer's market and they want them for close to nothing.  

Well, it's being sold by Elderly, so the price will be a little higher than from a private sale...with a dealer you have some "insurance" if you later discover any issues with the guitar (and reputable dealers have usually addressed any issues). And the Madagascar should make it more appealing than standard rosewood. I don't think that price is too out of line - I suspect they'd be willing to cut another 10% or so from that price...

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on January 17, 2018, 11:24:42 AM
Well, it's being sold by Elderly, so the price will be a little higher than from a private sale...with a dealer you have some "insurance" if you later discover any issues with the guitar (and reputable dealers have usually addressed any issues). And the Madagascar should make it more appealing than standard rosewood. I don't think that price is too out of line - I suspect they'd be willing to cut another 10% or so from that price...

:donut :coffee
You'd think a dealer would address issues, but sadly I've seen plenty of dealers pass on problem guitars, even "reputable" ones.

As was said above, even though it seemes like a great price, it's a rough market. I've seen Brazilian Larrivees go for this price in the last couple years on the private market.
Still, not a bad price for someone looking for a madi Larrivee OM. Is it worth $800 more than a regular used one?  Probably not. I think Larrivees are amazing when you're talking about standard woods.  When you get into the exotics, you are talking about Collings and bourgeois money and that's just a different level of instrument.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: B0WIE on January 17, 2018, 10:20:34 AM
OM body is shaped differently than a 000. The 000 is typically more peanut shaped, vs the rounder OM, and sits differently in the lap. If it were a 000 I might consider it.

The 000-12-fretters are peanut shaped. The 000-14 fretters are the same shape as an OM. It is true though that Larrivee doesn't do a standard 14-fret 000 like Martin does...

https://www.maurysmusic.com/martin_by_body_size

http://onemanz.com/guitar/martin-000-vs-om-whats-diff/
"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure