Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterloo T-Bar truss rods  (Read 900 times)
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« on: December 14, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »

I have been looking at the Waterloo guitars and find them to be quite nice.  There are two options with the truss rods.  An adjustable truss rod and a T-Bar one.  The T-Bar is not adjustable (obviously) and in looking at the benefits they are lighter and very strong and suppose to help with the sustain.  That all sounds good but I am wondering if there is a risk of the neck going out-of-adjustment?  If so, is it a big risk or very slight chance?  This is, assuming, that the owner of such an animal would properly store and humidify it, etc.  Any thoughts from you more experienced players? 

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »

I think it is relatively low risk, Mike.
The greater potential hazard may in fact be the adjustable t-rod.
Barefootrob has written more than once here on this forum about amateurs tweaking their adjustable trussrods without either
1) knowing how to do it properly
and/or
2) not even understanding the purpose of the trussrod to begin with.
Many guitars have been put out of commission by snapping an adjustable trussrod.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 06:11:55 PM »

Every Martin (and Larrivee) made before 1985 ('84-'85 for Larrivee) did not have an adjustable truss rod. Most of them are still in service w/o issue. Some have had neck resets.

Many players prefer older guitars with T-bar truss rods for the tone; they're not worried about the neck moving.  It hasn't hurt the value of older Martins, that's for sure!

I think this T-bar truss rod is just an acknowledgement of the perceived value of vintage guitars and the perceived tone advantages of the traditional T-bar neck.

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 06:27:14 AM »

The problem is that at some point in time necks need adjustment.Many older Martins without truss rods need major work to make them playable.Even graphite guitar necks at some point will need work.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 09:13:26 AM »

I think of it this way:  Adjustable truss rods were adopted by most major manufacturers many years ago.  I assume they made this decision based on sound thinking and research.  They must have considered tone and sustain VS the ability to adjust the neck relief.  Seems most of them decided the adjustable rod is more advantageous.  My thought is that any amount of user adjustment is better than no adjustment at all.

I don't see any connection at all between being able to adjust the neck-bow and whether or not a guitar may need a neck reset.  They are two entirely different things that are done for entirely different reasons.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 01:58:16 PM »

I think of it this way:  Adjustable truss rods were adopted by most major manufacturers many years ago.  I assume they made this decision based on sound thinking and research.  They must have considered tone and sustain VS the ability to adjust the neck relief.  Seems most of them decided the adjustable rod is more advantageous.  My thought is that any amount of user adjustment is better than no adjustment at all.

I don't see any connection at all between being able to adjust the neck-bow and whether or not a guitar may need a neck reset.  They are two entirely different things that are done for entirely different reasons.
You nailed it right there, L07 Shooting Star.
Tuba Mike

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 01:46:27 PM »

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond and say thank you to everyone for the good advice and information.  It has put my mind at ease if I ever decide to go with one of these.  Thanks again. 

Mike

Larrivee OM-50
Larrivee Forum IV - #19
Willson 3400S Eb Tuba
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: