Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thalia / Larrivée Partnership  (Read 3024 times)
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2017, 08:04:25 PM »

Hi Folks,

I believe I chimed in a few weeks ago giving a heads-up of an upcoming partnership with Thalia. These pro capos are in now and they look and feel fantastic. These are quality pro capos and worth every penny. Yes they are expensive. They are precision made in the USA. These are no offshore made knock-off style, dime-a-dozen capo. They are great to own and great for gifts Any Forum member who purchases one and includes their Forum Name in the notes, and preferred string gauge (12's or 13's), will receive a copy of "The Group of Seven Guitar Project" DVD and two sets of D'Addario EXP's along with their order as a Xmas gift from us. https://www.larrivee.com/shop/thalia-pro-capo-

All the best this season and stay safe.

john jr

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

Hey John, since I'm a trailblazer and ordered (and received) my capo last week, can I still get these other goodies?!

BTW, I'll say it again here (as I did in another thread) I was pleasantly surprised at everything you get with this capo - something like 18 (EIGHTEEN) different inserts for different fingerboard radii and different sizes of necks, even different capo materials (rubber and teflon). Very cool.

Here's the proof I bought mine:
(Sitting on my desk at home)

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 01:10:04 AM »

There's a lot I can do with 85 bucks, but what the hey, I ordered one. It will look good on the Larrivees.
If not for the DVD and strings, I don't think I would have gone for it. Just being honest.
Besides I have already got Nina's Christmas and birthday presents (Nina's birthday is Dec 25) and I went all out, since we have been married 20 years this year.
I do think it is fantastic Larrivee is partnering with other companies.
Mike
Yippie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 01:15:01 AM »

I couldn't get one from the Larrivée shop due inability to ship a rosewood model to Canada so I ordered one direct through Thalia. I am also happy to see Larrivée develop partnerships as it gives me some comfort in the company/quality to be associated with Larrivée. Looking forward getting this and checking it out. Too bad I had to miss out on the freebee's..

Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin 000-28EC (EIR/Sitka)
Gibson J-45 Custom (EIR/Sitka)
markj

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2017, 02:45:49 AM »

I guess one cannot have too many capos!   

Ordering...

1977 Classical
2014 L-03 ( Sold June 23, 2018  crying )
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 03:09:18 AM »

Hey John, since I'm a trailblazer and ordered (and received) my capo last week, can I still get these other goodies?!

BTW, I'll say it again here (as I did in another thread) I was pleasantly surprised at everything you get with this capo - something like 18 (EIGHTEEN) different inserts for different fingerboard radii and different sizes of necks, even different capo materials (rubber and teflon). Very cool.

Here's the proof I bought mine:
(Sitting on my desk at home)

12 or 13's?
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 05:05:07 AM »

12 or 13's?

13's - thanks, John!

1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 06:55:36 PM »

My stuff has shipped - very cool!

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »

Happy about this , really.

$85 USD for a capo, plus shipping to Canada, (never mind rosewood can't come here).

then exchange would put  this designer capo well over a hundred bucks, for somethingI'm finding less and less use for ( ya even at my age- i'm trying to be better player and NOT use a capo).

All my stage guitars have the Larrivee brand, and have been that way for 4 decades.

but $120 for a capo? that I'll loan, lose or some one will borrow and I'll never see again?

Even now, as a professional musician a mere 30 days away from 65, I've discovered the joys (and challenges) of playing  in Eb, Bb, C#, etc, which makes my mind have to work harder than doing Sudoco and crosswords etc, but damnit, it's worth it.

Just like tuning guitars with-out electronic tuners ( remember?) is good for my ears.

I LOVE those capos, I'd LOVE to have one. (which would rarely get used), and somebody else would end up with it.

For my CDN $120 I will buy a fine piece of hand made jewelry for my beautiful wife.

Now back I go to playing in 3 flats or 4 sharps sans capo....

your friendly, off the beaten path, rebel with-out a clue,. Canadian singer/songwriter Larrivee playing pal

kevin.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:12:11 PM »

Happy about this , really.

$85 USD for a capo, plus shipping to Canada, (never mind rosewood can't come here).

then exchange would put  this designer capo well over a hundred bucks, for somethingI'm finding less and less use for ( ya even at my age- i'm trying to be better player and NOT use a capo).

All my stage guitars have the Larrivee brand, and have been that way for 4 decades.

but $120 for a capo? that I'll loan, lose or some one will borrow and I'll never see again?

Even now, as a professional musician a mere 30 days away from 65, I've discovered the joys (and challenges) of playing  in Eb, Bb, C#, etc, which makes my mind have to work harder than doing Sudoco and crosswords etc, but damnit, it's worth it.

Just like tuning guitars with-out electronic tuners ( remember?) is good for my ears.

I LOVE those capos, I'd LOVE to have one. (which would rarely get used), and somebody else would end up with it.

For my CDN $120 I will buy a fine piece of hand made jewelry for my beautiful wife.

Now back I go to playing in 3 flats or 4 sharps sans capo....

your friendly, off the beaten path, rebel with-out a clue,. Canadian singer/songwriter Larrivee playing pal

kevin.

I only use them for setting up guitars.  I am learning more and more chords every day...

George
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »

I only use them for setting up guitars.  I am learning more and more chords every day...

I use them to put tunes in a key I can sing in.  I like to have a capo in every case...  so $80+ capos are out for me. 

Ed
Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »

I don’t think capos are necessarily a lazy shortcut. Yes, some people use them for that.   I use them for alternate tunings that cannot be achieved any way else and to keep a particular set of chord voicings, especially when accompanying vocalists at church.  However, it’s not clear to me that this capo would work for some of this.  For example, I use a regular Shubb for drop E at the 2nd fret.  The minimalist design of the shubb allows me to still fret the F# on open E.  Other capos, including cut capos, do not.  I might get one anyway. 

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:49 PM »

I don’t think capos are necessarily a lazy shortcut. Yes, some people use them for that.   I use them for alternate tunings that cannot be achieved any way else and to keep a particular set of chord voicings, especially when accompanying vocalists at church.  However, it’s not clear to me that this capo would work for some of this.  For example, I use a regular Shubb for drop E at the 2nd fret.  The minimalist design of the shubb allows me to still fret the F# on open E.  Other capos, including cut capos, do not.  I might get one anyway. 

THIS^^^

Without copying/quoting Kevin's whole post, this is my answer for why I use capos as well. Being able to move chord forms around and do certain patterns for both acoustic fingerstyle and some lead/electric fingerstyle in different keys, a capo is pretty much a necessity.

I agree that Shubbs work well for a "dropped D" tuning in E (capo on the 2nd fret). I tried the Thalia for this as well, and can also fret the 2nd fret when needed (for an "Em"/F#m, etc.) chord form.  I've also cut a Planet Waves capo to use for drop D and "drop C" (capo on the 4th fret, so you're playing chords in C, but you're in the key of E and have that low E bass note on the 6th string).

There are lots of other good capos out there for less money - I agree. But some of them (like many Planet Waves) don't give enough pressure on some thinner necks to hold all the strings down...this is true on my '92 Larrivee OM. So something like a Shubb or the Thalia is necessary.  And most don't have adjustable radii for the many different acoustic and electric fingerboards - that's handy, too.

headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

my apologies with regards to all the more "creative" ways people use capos.
and yes I concur with the whole "voicing" thing, certain groups of chords moved up the neck, for fingerpicking, or using Capos for alternate tunings.

absolutely! if we were all in agreement, we'd be pretty bored with each other.....

And yes even the very best capo's ( G7 comes to mind) pull the strings sharp, sometimes just one string, sometimes just enough to hurt sensitive ears.
 Maybe these capos don't, you folks that are buying them, will let me know.
 then I "might" consider a purchase....

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Yippie

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 08:55:34 PM »

Just received mine from the courier bigrin

I routinely use a capo as I am not as an accomplished guitarist as most are on here. I was reluctant to shell out the money also but when I seen that Larrivée has partnered with Thalia I thought I would give it a try. I was pretty happy to see that my Larrivée and Martin take the same size fretpad because I couldn't justify 2 capo's when I just play for enjoyment. Unfortunately the one I got doesn't have Larrivée inlay though  crying

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 09:15:18 PM »

Just received mine from the courier bigrin

Unfortunately the one I got doesn't have Larrivée inlay though  crying

If you got it from Larrivee, that seems odd... 

eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:15:51 PM »

my apologies with regards to all the more "creative" ways people use capos.
and yes I concur with the whole "voicing" thing, certain groups of chords moved up the neck, for fingerpicking, or using Capos for alternate tunings.

absolutely! if we were all in agreement, we'd be pretty bored with each other.....

And yes even the very best capo's ( G7 comes to mind) pull the strings sharp, sometimes just one string, sometimes just enough to hurt sensitive ears.
 Maybe these capos don't, you folks that are buying them, will let me know.
 then I "might" consider a purchase....

As far as not agreeing...  I completely agree.  If we all agreed, there’d be no reason to discuss.

As far as a given capo acting differently than others (i.e. pulling strings out of tune more or less than another), I’d like to see the physics on that...  for that matter, I’d like to see the physics on fretting a string with ones finger having less of an affect than a capo.

Ed
Yippie

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:33 PM »

I ordered from Thalia because the Larrivée rosewood on the Larrivée site did not ship to Canada. Here is a pic on the one I got which still looks pretty good desipite not having the Larrivée bling.

Paraclete

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 12:17:03 AM »

THIS^^^

I agree that Shubbs work well for a "dropped D" tuning in E (capo on the 2nd fret). I tried the Thalia for this as well, and can also fret the 2nd fret when needed (for an "Em"/F#m, etc.) chord form.  I've also cut a Planet Waves capo to use for drop D and "drop C" (capo on the 4th fret, so you're playing chords in C, but you're in the key of E and have that low E bass note on the 6th string).

Great to know about the Thalia.  Did you just cut the rubber part of that Planet Waves capo?  Shubb actually makes a cut capo for this, but it fixes over the top of the fretboard, which eliminates the F#.  I’ve just been applying my regular (and slightly short) Shubb over 5 strings.  But I do wonder sometimes if that will eventually damage the neck, since the contact point is small.

2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 05:55:26 PM »

Did you just cut the rubber part of that Planet Waves capo?

Yes, actually cut the rubber and the plastic frame as well. I think I used a razor saw (like a model saw) for this (I use a similar saw blade to cut .010 notches for high E strings in nuts).

Here are a couple pictures - it looks a little rough I'll admit (I didn't try to clean it up much) but it works great.

I've also used a ukulele capo successfully to capo just 5 strings on a guitar.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: