Skin problem??

Started by skyetripper, December 08, 2017, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A strange query for you - I'm having problems with the skin on the thumb of my left hand (right handed player). Skin is cracking and gets sore around the inside edge of the joint. Various creams aren't making too much difference but then I started playing my old faithful Faith guitar instead of the Larrivee for a week or so and the skin cleared up :?

Went back to playing the OM50 for a couple of days and the skin problem is back... Surely there can't be a reaction with the finish on the Larrivee?? It's a 2003 guitar so any solvent will be long gone.

Anyone else had a similar problem - I'm hoping it's just coincidence cos I don't think I could face having to part with the Larry!!

How long have you had the Larrivee?  Do you live in a cold climate where cracking can occur as the temps drop and it dries out?

Rb

Quote from: skyetripper on December 08, 2017, 10:25:03 AM
I'm having problems with the skin on the thumb of my left hand (right handed player). Skin is cracking and gets sore around the inside edge of the joint. Various creams aren't making too much difference but then I started playing my old faithful Faith guitar instead of the Larrivee for a week or so and the skin cleared up?
:donut :donut2 :coffee
Do you wrap your thumb over the neck?
Do you drag it along the back of the neck when changing positions?
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

The finish would likely affect more than just that area.  It's likely the way it rubs against the neck. The skin will usually callous enough to protect itself but since it's not, I'd try a bandaid while playing until the skin toughens up.  Also, feel the area to see if there's something abrasive (finish bubble, crack, or a fret as mentioned above).
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Same strings on both guitars?
Do you play both guitars with the same technique / same style of music?
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Play pretty much the same style on both guitars and I use same strings on both. Like I say, could be coincidence, but might try band aid or something similar.

Rough fret! On my Larrivee! Never! :bgrin: