Thalia / Larrivee branded capo arrived today...

Started by Mikeymac, December 04, 2017, 09:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I ordered this last week - wasn't on sale, but that's okay; glad I took a chance on this high priced item!  (Didn't know the best forum to post this in, but this seems logical...)

So, no, these aren't cheap. BUT - you don't just get a capo... it's kind of like getting about half a dozen capos in one... because there are so many different inserts you can put in to change the fingerboard radius (and one that gives you a "cut capo" set up).

In reality, along with the Thalia, I received another 18 inserts that can be used to change both the radius and the pressure of the capo. So if you have a thinner neck, you can use a high tension insert to give more pressure. With a fatter neck (like my '79 Larrivee and a couple others), the Standard Tension Insert works fine.

I still found I had to do a little bit of tuning touch up on the low E and high B and E strings - I find this necessary with most capos. But the different radiused inserts eliminate a great deal of this because they match the fretboard radius.  So the fretboard radius inserts included (in both Standard and High Tension) are 0" (Classical) 7.5" 9.5" 10" 12" 15" & 16". Plus the Larrivee came with another set of five more inserts in 20" radius (including a partial/cut capo).

The first time I tried to pop a different fretpad in, I struggled a bit - maybe because I was afraid I might break something. After the first time, though, they just easily pop in and out. Changing them is a breeze. And they all have the fretboard radius on them.

Also, some of the fretpads are rubber, and some are teflon.  On their website they have a list of pros and cons to each type of insert (I'll let you read about it there).

Again, I'm very impressed with how well thought out this whole capo "kit" is, definitely more than I was expecting!

BTW - I ordered the black chrome/mahogany...

Here are a couple pics...

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hope you enjoy this, Mike.
Report back in a few months and talk about your experience with it.
I don't know; it all sounds so complicated.
I like the freedom of just reaching for a decent capo, slapping it on and doing a quick fine-tuning on the 6th string.
:wave

You shouldn't have to do any tuning touch up on most capos, if you place them in the right spot. That spot is getting the bridge side of the pad to compress down on the strings right on top of the fret wire.  I do this with all of my capos which consist of mostly Kysers and one G7th adjustable pressure capo.  When you call this way there is significantly less tension being placed on the strings. Almost none in fact.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Quote from: rockstar_not on December 05, 2017, 07:57:58 PM
You shouldn't have to do any tuning touch up on most capos, if you place them in the right spot. That spot is getting the bridge side of the pad to compress down on the strings right on top of the fret wire.  I do this with all of my capos which consist of mostly Kysers and one G7th adjustable pressure capo.  When you call this way there is significantly less tension being placed on the strings. Almost none in fact.
You're right about that, of course, rockstar. But for me, at least, I prefer to set capo back just a skosh to give me a bit more room to work for my left hand on that first position. Placing it so close to he fret crowds me.
As I say, it only requires a quick fine-tune on one string and I'm off and running.

Quote from: Queequeg on December 06, 2017, 01:19:00 AM
You're right about that, of course, rockstar. But for me, at least, I prefer to set capo back just a skosh to give me a bit more room to work for my left hand on that first position. Placing it so close to he fret crowds me.
As I say, it only requires a quick fine-tune on one string and I'm off and running.
Yep. especially when place capo up a few frets. So far the several people I know who have gotten these like them a lot. The ease of changing positions is a factor as well. I might get one for my partner for xmas and then check it out myself.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: flatlander on December 06, 2017, 10:09:34 PM
I might get one for my partner for xmas and then check it out myself.
Hey, I went to Thalia site and stumbled, and I do mean stumbled, across a few deals that they had left over from black Friday. I went ahead and got myself one. Substantially less, 1/2 off, regular price but only  5 or 6 options left and one disappeared after I bought. So if interested hurry! Follow this link as otherwise can be hard to find the deal. Or you can search "black Friday" on site.  https://www.thaliacapos.com/search?q=Black+Friday&submit=Search
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Just bought one a month ago, durable, convenient, and as mentioned can fit any neck with ease.  Nice looking as well.   I picked up some wooden picks also; took some time getting used to but I really like how they improve brightness and volume when picking.

A vacuum cleaner salesperson, that my ex wife invited in, told me that the machine they were selling was the Mercedes of vacuums. I told them to come back when they saw a Mercedes in the driveway. I think my Shubb, G7 and Planet Waves NS will do just fine.  

Got one as a gift once,looked nice but alas I gave it away since I don't use them.But enjoy it.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help