Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Truss Rod  (Read 376 times)
CycleBob

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »

So after owning over 20 guitars over the years I have my first major issue. My Martin D15-M truss rod has apparently broken. I noticed the action on the guitar was suddenly very high. I attempted to "tweek"the Truss rod and the truss rod bolt was a good 3 "'s into the neck. I only paid $750.00. I know a neck reset would cost close to $500.00 . So I guess my question is, Is it even worth fixing? (No, I'm not attached to it like my Larivee's) Also, other than Burning or breaking it, any suggestions on what to do with it? (serious reponses only PLEASE  )
Thanks!

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 10:32:50 PM »

At the end of the day its your decision. But my thought process would be if the guitar is worthless in its current state is the D15-M worth $500 to me or to sell for >$500 once reset.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Davy Vanthuyne

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 11:12:06 PM »

You can play slide on it if you decide to leave her like she is.

Larrivée rs 2 P90 2010
Larrivee rs 4 Jason Lollar 2008
Fender Artisan customshop Tamo ash Stratocaster 2018
Fender '51 customshop tele faded nocaster blonde 2016
Olav Loef 00 ‘Dav L’. 2018
B&G Little Sister lemonburst P90 2015
Fender '57 Champ
B&G Prototype amp 8/100
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 01:35:01 AM »

Okay, I guess the obvious question is how would the truss rod have broken. Secondly, if so, is a neck reset the answer. 
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 01:43:05 AM »

Sounds more like the anchoring step gave way. I think there is a fix for that. Without being able to examine it myself...i could be wrong.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
Something is wrong,,,have you noticed?
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 02:55:06 AM »

Can you turn it the other way as it may be a dual action rod?

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2018, 05:02:23 PM »

Okay, I guess the obvious question is how would the truss rod have broken. Secondly, if so, is a neck reset the answer. 

I assumed it broke as I don't have enough technical knowledge to explain it any other way. As mentioned in my original post, the Truss rod is now a good 3"'s into the neck as oppose to sitting fairly flush to the end of the neck joint inside and body. This morning I removed the LR Baggs Anthem SL pick-up and Will try to decide if it is worth fixing. It plays ok after sanding down the saddle a little. The action is what I would describe as low/medium. Hopefully the neck won't change to much. I contacted Martin and as the warranty is not in affect they quoted $1100.00  crying ohmy Look's like I have  quality beater.............

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 09:04:35 PM »

$1,100.00? Well, obviously you wouldn't want Martin to repair it. Is there a good tech near you? You could buy a new one for not much more than that and easily get a used one for that price. That's crazy. 
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:16 PM »

I assumed it broke as I don't have enough technical knowledge to explain it any other way. As mentioned in my original post, the Truss rod is now a good 3"'s into the neck as oppose to sitting fairly flush to the end of the neck joint inside and body. This morning I removed the LR Baggs Anthem SL pick-up and Will try to decide if it is worth fixing. It plays ok after sanding down the saddle a little. The action is what I would describe as low/medium. Hopefully the neck won't change to much. I contacted Martin and as the warranty is not in affect they quoted $1100.00  crying ohmy Look's like I have  quality beater.............

I highly recommend taking it to a qualified tech for inspection.  My martin's truss rod adjustments are way up inside the neck.  They take a very long allen wrench to adjust.  Are you certain it is broken?

George
CycleBob

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 07:14:20 PM »

I highly recommend taking it to a qualified tech for inspection.  My martin's truss rod adjustments are way up inside the neck.  They take a very long allen wrench to adjust.  Are you certain it is broken?
Well, as stated earlier, the truss rod adjusment was always fairly flush to the neck joint/body. I'll have to bring it in and have them look at it. Thanks all!

Larrivee D03E
Larrivee OM-03MT
Martin D15M
Seagull S12 Plus
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 09:09:06 PM »

Well, as stated earlier, the truss rod adjusment was always fairly flush to the neck joint/body. I'll have to bring it in and have them look at it. Thanks all!
Did hat the deal was? Curious.

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: