Strange cracks

Started by Riverbend, April 18, 2018, 06:39:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone ever experience cracks like these? The walnut back on my 2001 00-01W has recently developed these almost hairline cracks that don't appear to have gone all the way through, but are deeper than the satin finish. Our house is fully humidified at 45% and this little beauty has been out of it's case and on a stand for months. It's now in a case with a homemade humidifier waiting and hoping for some improvement. The cracks most resemble what you would see with lifting veneer, even though this is solid wood, and they don't appear to necessarily follow the grain.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Do you suppose someone may have knocked it off the stand?  Could be structural impact damage?
George

Quote from: George on April 18, 2018, 07:28:15 AM
Do you suppose someone may have knocked it off the stand?  Could be structural impact damage?
Highly unlikely, plus there's no visual evidence one would expect from such damage. Everything is lifting outward.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

I had a similar experience with a piece of Claro Walnut once.  During the build process it just split like that.  Someone suggested it had not been properly kiln dried?  Cannot imagine an acoustic guitar being kiln dried, unless it was torrefied.  But this was an electric guitar body and had been purchased from a hardwood store as a slab.
George

I have no idea why its cracking.Just want people to know that lots of wood for guitars is now kiln dryed and has been for many,many years even decade's.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Does the guitar hang on an exterior wall? It appears to be excessive moisture.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

You sure it doesn't follow the grain? Looks like it does to me.
Some woods "check", though I've not known that to be a problem in walnut. More so Brazilian.
Humidity was suggested though I've never seen that from humidity. Fast expansion and contraction can check the wood, and the finish. Does sunlight pass over that guitar, through a window, during the day? Or, is the A/C vent on the wall opposite the guitar?
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

Quote from: broKen on April 18, 2018, 09:06:38 PM
Does the guitar hang on an exterior wall? It appears to be excessive moisture.
It does not hang on a wall and is nested securely on a stand. And you're right that it does resemble excessive moisture, now that I think about it, though there has been no exposure to any moisture.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Quote from: B0WIE on April 19, 2018, 01:34:28 AM
You sure it doesn't follow the grain? Looks like it does to me.
Some woods "check", though I've not known that to be a problem in walnut. More so Brazilian.
Humidity was suggested though I've never seen that from humidity. Fast expansion and contraction can check the wood, and the finish. Does sunlight pass over that guitar, through a window, during the day? Or, is the A/C vent on the wall opposite the guitar?
This seems to be a real head scratcher. I've worked with wood since I was a boy and have never seen solid wood do anything quite like this. Especially walnut, at that. As for the grain, walnut does have it's subtleties, and perhaps I'm misreading the grain pattern, but these cracks wander enough to bring that into question. And being what I would call plain sawn, as opposed to rift or quarter sawn, gives the wood more opportunity to separate in this way. And the stand sits in an area safe from sunlight and ductwork.       
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Quote from: Riverbend on April 19, 2018, 05:27:05 AM
It does not hang on a wall and is nested securely on a stand. And you're right that it does resemble excessive moisture, now that I think about it, though there has been no exposure to any moisture.

Your own body, perhaps?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on April 19, 2018, 11:04:32 AM
Your own body, perhaps?
Nope,  I'm not one to perspire much and can't remember ever playing it without a shirt on. Thankfully at this point it's only cosmetic.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Doesn't look like something struck it.
The moisture idea seems odd as I've never seen a guitar crack from moisture on the surface. Maybe you guys are thinking of bare wood but this is poly finished wood. You can pool water on that stuff and it won't crack. I also believe the cracks are following the grain for the most part. There may have been moisture in the wood itself and it cracked (or cracked the finish) as the guitar settled in. Or, it could be random, unexpected checking form the wood.
For the finish itself to do this out of nowhere would be strange.

And I'm further flummoxed by the fact that there is no evidence of this happening on the inside of the guitar.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Quote from: Riverbend on April 21, 2018, 06:32:32 AM
And I'm further flummoxed by the fact that there is no evidence of this happening on the inside of the guitar.
Sometimes, it's hard to see cracks in unfinished wood, especially if it's expanded again and concealed the crack. I'm not saying it's absolutely got to be in the wood, but that wood can sometimes hide cracks but the finish can't. I have a classical with a hairline crack at the neck joint. The finish shows a crack but the wood is closed up too tight to get even the thinnest glue in there.

2001?  That is 16 years.  Are you the original owner?  Did the cracks just start?  Had anything changed in the guitar's environment before the cracks appeared?  With a guitar that old, it is hard to imagine a luthiers error

You could certainly check with Larrivee. If you're the original owner, it is under warranty (although that may not cover this). Those cracks don't look like they were caused by moisture or dryness. 

I could be wrong, but on a guitar that's 15-16 years old, if it was going to crack from lack of hydration, it would have done so by now... the woods should be pretty stable at this point.

I'd ask Larrivee, just out of curiosity...not with any expectation that they should have to fix it. But they might find it interesting.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Walkerman on May 11, 2018, 08:04:06 AM
2001?  That is 16 years.  Are you the original owner?  Did the cracks just start?  Had anything changed in the guitar's environment before the cracks appeared?  With a guitar that old, it is hard to imagine a luthiers error
I'm not the original owner. I bought it on eBay early last summer, and it was in mint condition showing virtually no sign of being played. The environment in our home is ideal, as well, with steady managed humidity. About the only thing I can figure is that due to the sawing of the walnut in this particular instance, the wood might've dried out just enough (45% RH, so "dried" might not be accurate) to lift partially between growth rings. It in no way affects the sound or playability and I'm not losing any sleep over it at this point, but I do find it unusual and plan to monitor it closely. 
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

Quote from: Mikeymac on May 11, 2018, 11:41:47 AM
You could certainly check with Larrivee. If you're the original owner, it is under warranty (although that may not cover this). Those cracks don't look like they were caused by moisture or dryness. 

I could be wrong, but on a guitar that's 15-16 years old, if it was going to crack from lack of hydration, it would have done so by now... the woods should be pretty stable at this point.

I'd ask Larrivee, just out of curiosity...not with any expectation that they should have to fix it. But they might find it interesting.
I think I need to do exactly as you suggest, which is to inquire with the minds at Larrivee. I bought this used and in mint condition last year.
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin

The Larrivee website has a contact request form.

https://www.larrivee.com/contact

You can upload photos along with the request.

In my experience, they are very good at responding to these inquiries.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on May 15, 2018, 01:10:53 PM
The Larrivee website has a contact request form.

https://www.larrivee.com/contact

You can upload photos along with the request.

In my experience, they are very good at responding to these inquiries.
Thank you! :thumb
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Soliver Pancake Mandolin