Strange "Click" noises from the guitar? help please!

Started by LLship, November 30, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and came here as a proud owner of a 2007 D-03r. I love this guitar and the beautiful sounds it makes.
I own the guitar for a year now. bought it used.
when I got it - it had 0.13 strings on it and the prevoius owner said that there's a small gap at the lower end of the bridge (you can get just the tip of a paper beneath). all of the guitar workshops I've been to said it is not a major issue.
I now live in the middle east (bought it in NJ USA) in a cellar apartment.
two days ago I noticed that the guitar started to make a distant strange "click" sounds from the body, as if ia distant click from a man's joints or fingers (hope that you got the notion of this) especially when I leaned my hand at the body (with not a lot of pressure). As a caring and stressed owner that I am - I went to a local guitar workshop. The guy there found out that one on the braces of the back was a bit loose and glued it back and strgethend the screwing of the strap pin at the end of the guitar.
It indeed made the clicks a lot weaker sounding and very rare copared to before, BUT they are still THERE!

so, after this long prolouge - my questions:
1. has someone heard of this weird thing?
2. is this common?
3. is there be somthing wrong with the guitar? should I worry?
4. might It be the weather and the dehydration? if you think so - what can I do?
5. could it be that this guitar has a gluing flaw or somthing wrong with how it was manufactured?

Thank you for the help, and sorry for my english and spelling mistakes.

First things first,has anyone checked it for dehydration?I've worked on Larrivee's for over 15 years and the only cracking or creeking sound I have ever heard was a nut slot issue.You may also want to check how well the ball end of the strings are seated as if there not flush with the bridgeplate it may be string creep.Also make sure the bridge pins are also seated well.After that I would need to see the guitar but I'm in florida and your not.Also I have never had any issue with the brace's or the glue.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

The back braces on my old L-10 needed reglued way back. I think it was my own fault as young and dumb more than once back then turned it over and tapped on the back of it during jam sessions for percussion. So it can happen and I assume it's mighty dry over there. It's always hard to tell where sounds like that or rattling are coming from. Try pressing/holding on places all over the guitar while playing or get someone else to do it. Start with the tuners, strap button, then pressing on places all around body of guitar and see if you can get it to stop and locate.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Thank you all!
an update:
I went to 4 (!) different guitar workshops and they all said it is not somthing of misuse of mine nor it is somthing of cliate and dehydration. but waht they found out that more braces have became loose and need to be reglued.

so, what do you people think:
1. reglueing the braces - is it a bad thing? will it forever vhange my guitar into a guitar with a horrible sound? is it somthing that is done?
2. what happened to my guitar? is is possible that it was that badly glued in the factory??

thank you all, again

Since you purchased this guitar from a previous owner, there is no way you or we can know what it has been through or how it was stored.  Having the braces re-glued will prolong the life of the guitar and you should be much happier with it once that is completed.  I cannot imagine it having a negative effect.  Larrivee quality control is pretty good, I have never heard of badly glued braces from the factory...
George

Like George says...  no telling without knowing the history.  The most likely cause of loose braces is having been very dry.  Getting it to a shop and having them properly humidify it and reglue the braces seems to be the best course of action.  The guitar is designed to have those braces in place and glued. 

Ed

Done right you shouldn't have a problem the tone will  remain the same.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on December 06, 2017, 08:48:53 PM
Done right you shouldn't have a problem the tone will  remain the same.
:thumb A little glue shouldn't change tone. For me this isn't shocking or that big a deal if you caught early and fix. I would think that when the wood adjusted to new dry climate, it wouldn't all adjust at same rate. Top it seems would dry quicker and shrink while braces
didn't change at same rate thus causing stress. Add that to not knowing previous owner. So many people tap for percussion while playing these days for one example. But anyway I suspect you get braces reglued and it will be fine. And shouldn't cost that much.
10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.

Quote from: eded on December 06, 2017, 03:56:13 PM
Like George says...  no telling without knowing the history.  The most likely cause of loose braces is having been very dry.  Getting it to a shop and having them properly humidify it and reglue the braces seems to be the best course of action.  The guitar is designed to have those braces in place and glued. 

Ed

:+1:  The structural integrity of the guitar (and the intended tone) depends on all the braces to be properly glued in place.  Just make sure it is done by someone who knows how to do it properly.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I'm having the sam problem.... whenever I pick it up and rest it on my lap it makes a "click".... now it does it when I'm strumming after slapping the stings.   I feel mine I. The neck with my playing hand.

Is this a possible neck joint problem?! or would it be a brace?

Ps I have always had my guitar properly humidified.

Make sure the truss rod has some tension in it. Not much, just so it's not sloppy loose
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Holy -CENSORED-..... you know what.. it was kinda loose.   We'll see if that works.  Odd though- it had great action with mediums.