Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OM-02 Premier Series Hybrid Parabolic Bracing?  (Read 755 times)
hognogger

Ignore
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »

I've just ordered online an OM-02, which by appearances, seems to be a 3rd generation 02-series.  I've been away from Larrivee guitars for a while, but am excited to be back! Anyway, it's on its way to me, but in doing a bit more research, I found out something interesting.  The specs on the Larrivee page for these models list the bracing as Hybrid Parabolic:

https://www.larrivee.com/products/om-02-premier-series

And here's another source claiming the the 02 has scalloped hybrid bracing:

https://idmusikk.no/17405.html

Just wondering if this is the same bracing style as on the 40 Legacy series, which I've seen described as scalloped hybrid parabolic bracing? The 03 series bracing is just described as X-bracing on the Larrivee site...

Thanks!

wxfloyd

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 07:13:27 PM »

I just ordered one as well, should have it by the weekend.  From everything that I could find, I'm guessing what they're calling the "hybrid parabolic" bracing is the same as the hybrid scalloped bracing, as it seems the parabolic is some sort of scalloped bracing to enhance the low-end of these guitars. 
I'm guessing this bracing is the same as they're showing for the OM-40.  It looks like some parts of the Larrivee website might be out of date.  Its clear that the photos they show for the OM-02 is out of date, as the latest version of these have maple binding along the fretboard, and what looks like ebony bridge and fretboard. 
See this OM-02 review video for a fairly good review of the latest iteration.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:00:49 PM »

I don't believe the specs for the current Premiere 02 series are out of date.  They are indeed trimmed with Rosewood, not maple, and the fretboard and bridge and headstock overlay are all Rosewood.  The current series also have a one piece mahogany neck vs. the original series that had a two piece neck.  Mine does not sound the same as my 40 series guitars either...

George
markj

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »

Where did you order these from?
wxfloyd

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 02:18:41 PM »

This is the exact guitar I ordered, from Shoreline Music in Durango, CO.
https://shorelinemusic.com/collections/larrivee-guitars/products/larrivee-om-02
Comparing this one to the OM-03 and OM-03R they show on their website, the appointments look almost identical.  In fact, the owner of the shop states that the only discernible difference between my OM-02 and the OM-03, is the rosette around the soundhole (plain instead of herringbone).  The shop owner also told me that he compared my OM-02 to every other Larrivee he had in stock (10 other models), and the bridge and fretboard material looked nearly identical to the others.  
The video I linked to shows a guitar just like mine, and he also states the specs are maple binding (including fretboard), along with ebony bridge, fretboard, and headstock veneer.  
If you compare the photos of my guitar on Shoreline's website to the photos on Larrivee's website (https://www.larrivee.com/products/om-02-premier-series), you can see the differences between the two.  
Hope I'm not coming off as combative, maybe just trying to reassure myself that I receive what I think I purchased.  
hognogger

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:24:49 PM »

It looks like some parts of the Larrivee website might be out of date.  Its clear that the photos they show for the OM-02 is out of date, as the latest version of these have maple binding along the fretboard, and what looks like ebony bridge and fretboard.  
See this OM-02 review video for a fairly good review of the latest iteration.

The one I ordered is second hand, and it does have rosewood binding and a rosewood fingerboard.  But from the reviews I've seen on YouTube, like the one you've linked here, there are more recent OM-02s with maple binding and ebony fingerboards. Good luck with yours - hope you get a good one. 
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »

It could very well just be another series edition.  Contact Larrivee via email or phone and ask them, that is the best way to find out...

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »

The specs on the 02 series seem to be a moving target. As was already mentioned, they used to have 2/3 piece necks; now they're one piece. They've gone from ebony to rosewood back to ebony for finger board and bridge, plus various different bindings on neck and body.

None of them are "wrong," they just keep changing. What was that old song by Bread? "People changing partners like they change their underwear..."

That's the Larrivee 02 series!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:55:35 AM »

Providing up to date information about individual models' specs and/or changes to those specs has never been a priority with Larrivee as far back as my experience goes.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

wxfloyd

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 01:59:30 PM »

Funny you say that, as I just got a reply back from Larrivee last night when I asked about the current specs for the OM-02.  Here is their reply:
"There are several generations of 02's. Four to be exact. They are all very much different.  If yours is new it should be a 4th. 
The website 02's should not be visible. Unless you have access to an old link that is not broken. If so, you are seeing an older 3rd gen.
Thank you

Larrivée Service Department
Jean Larrivée Guitars Inc.
"

So it sounds like if one Googles "Larrivee OM-02" and goes to Larrivee's webpage for that model, it shows the older 3rd gen model. 

Providing up to date information about individual models' specs and/or changes to those specs has never been a priority with Larrivee as far back as my experience goes.
wxfloyd

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 09:04:05 PM »

Mikeymac, you may have hit the nail on the head.  Just got this second reply from Larrivee.
"The 02's are now considered an "off catalog" model. They are only released in batches for promotional situations. Because they evolve with each generation, we do not present them in any catalog online or otherwise."

very interesting...

The specs on the 02 series seem to be a moving target. As was already mentioned, they used to have 2/3 piece necks; now they're one piece. They've gone from ebony to rosewood back to ebony for finger board and bridge, plus various different bindings on neck and body.

None of them are "wrong," they just keep changing. What was that old song by Bread? "People changing partners like they change their underwear..."

That's the Larrivee 02 series!

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 10:16:13 PM »

The only way I can see the 02 specifications is to go through the process of selecting a specific guitar from all of the different ones i.e., Guitars, Guitars & Ukes, Acoustic, select series and then model and then on the upper right hand part of the screen for each one is a button entitled "View All" (and "Model Comparison").  From their it lists every possible combination from the series of current models resident on the website... Both buttons do the same thing, but Model Comparison allows you to choose three to look at at one time...

George
hognogger

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 04:44:34 AM »

I got a response from Larrivee about my original question.

They confirmed that the 3rd generation -02 series (the ones with rosewood fingerboards and bindings) have the same bracing pattern as the 40 series.

The later 4th generation series has the standard pattern, like the -03 series.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 01:59:01 PM »

I got a response from Larrivee about my original question.

They confirmed that the 3rd generation -02 series (the ones with rosewood fingerboards and bindings) have the same bracing pattern as the 40 series.

The later 4th generation series has the standard pattern, like the -03 series.

Very good information to know about this series.  It means my D-02 has the 40 series bracing.  I am downsizing so it is up for sale... maybe I should keep it...

George
hognogger

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2017, 08:45:14 AM »

Here are some photos of the OM-02 that's coming...

When it gets here, I'll stick my phone in the sound hole and see if I can get some pics of the braces to verify whether it's 40 series.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2017, 11:27:25 PM »

Definitely looks like rosewood board, bridge and heelcap (and a 1-piece neck) - I like those specs.

nice guitar

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
hognogger

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »

The guitar arrived today.

I can confirm that it has the scalloped bracing after checking under the sound hole.

It's got plenty of bass response, but is also quite mellow and sweet sounding - this is very noticeable as I play up the neck, too.  The guitar (which I bought used) has hardly been played at all, so it should loosen up more over the next few months.

Paul McCartney was playing a concert here at the very moment I received the guitar.  Sadly, I wasn't able to make the concert (I doubt he'll visit Australia again), but maybe I'll name the guitar Paul, since he was singing when the guitar arrived at my home.
wxfloyd

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 05:33:50 PM »

Very cool hognogger!  I received my OM-02 earlier this week and have been evaluating it.  Mine looks to have the traditional X-bracing, though I haven't taken a mirror inside of it to really look.
I had to purchase it sight-unseen, but Shoreline Music has a great return policy if I decide to return it.  Against my 2003 D-03, it definitely is a little quieter, but I'm noticing it seems to have a more balanced response across the strings compared to the D-03.  My biggest concern (and what may ultimately be the reason I return it), is the 1 3/4 nut width.  I didn't think it would make much of a different compared to the 1 11/16 width of the D-03, but its enough to make a noticeable difference.  If I do keep it, I'll definitely need to take it to a shop to have it setup more to my liking.  The string height at the nut is fairly high, so much so that I can slide my 1.4mm pick under the low E string with little resistance, and its difficult to fret down the B string on a bar F chord.  
hognogger

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 07:28:37 AM »

Hope the nut width works out for you in the end! It's a shame to have to return/sell good-sounding instruments because of playing issues.
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2017, 04:49:40 AM »

I received my OM-02 earlier this week and have been evaluating it.  Mine looks to have the traditional X-bracing, though I haven't taken a mirror inside of it to really look.

If I do keep it, I'll definitely need to take it to a shop to have it setup more to my liking.  The string height at the nut is fairly high, so much so that I can slide my 1.4mm pick under the low E string with little resistance, and its difficult to fret down the B string on a bar F chord.

Yes, definitely get it set up (get the nut slots lowered). You will be amazed how much difference this makes! There really isn't much difference between 1 11/16 and 1 3/4 - when the guitar is set up properly...you may even find eventually that you prefer the wider nut.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: