Thinking of getting out

Started by unclrob, November 07, 2017, 11:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Once again today I got a call from a company that says I need to pay them $500 to keep my shop listed on google or they would consider me out of business.Now I get this call 6-7 times a month and it has been going on for 6-9 months.I call google and do what they ask and that the company calling me isn't part of them,I have called the FBI and complained but the calls keep coming.So since I'm not a fan of the new world order and have had enough and since you all are much more advanced of mind then I and these call just make me mad what do you think.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Since I have my own business I'll tell you what I've done.
       I IGNORE THEM.

For years they have been saying the same old thing. Your listing Will be dropped etc.
Frankly my dear, I don't give a dam n.
 They have never followed thru.  :yak:

See if you can get their number blocked from ringing your phone.  If it is a Scam, which it sounds like it is, Google will never drop you...
George

Is your number on the "National Do Not Call" list? If not, then register your number with them. If anyone calls you with those sort of calls, which, they are not allowed to, you report the number. I've had "promotional" calls to my cel phone which I reported...... online by the way, and the calls stopped. No cost involved, can't hurt to try it.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Well I already am on the National Do Not Call BUT they come in on so many different numbers including local numbers.I've calmed down now and I'm just going to do nothing and just hang up.I really hate this new world,the only good thing is watching people walk into things while looking at the smart fun or tripping over stuff.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Since you have put up this thread, I've continued to get these calls. As soon as the voice says "do not hang up", That's exactly what I do.

If you have VOIP (internet based telephone service) from Vonage, the setup page allows you to input a list of numbers they will block automatically.
George

I don't have Vonage.I have sprint for my sell and Centrylink for the home and I get calls on both.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

stop answering the phone?
message services (machines etc) are made for that very reason....
"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

I am on the state and national no-call lists. I get constant calls from "Bridget" or "Rachel" from "Credit Card Services." They come from a different number each time and caller ID often says they are calls from local businesses.

There seems to be nothing that can be done to stop the calls. It is impossible to block the numbers since they change each call. Either don't answer or immediately hang up. Unless the FBI or Justice Department apply some real horsepower to stopping these scammers they won't stop. And I can't see the government making this annoyance a priority.
Rob Hanesworth

'91 Larrivee JB-09 with Sitka top/Indian Rosewood back and sides (12-fret 00 size)

Taylor GA7 -- Alvarez AP 70

I don't have a retail business, so this might not work for you.

I've come to the conclusion that all the robocalls (except from the pharmacy) are frauds in progress. These incoming calls are so personalized, and are now using local numbers, that we've just started a new practice.  The land line has caller ID.  The mobile phone has caller ID.  If what shows up is just a number (if someone has NOT set their system up to allow their name to transmitted), if the screen reads "no caller ID", or if the ID is of someone we don't know, or (at home) is business related, we don't pick up the phone.  Friends and (at work) business relations will leave a message and (at home) we can hear the voice.  If I recognize the voice, I pick up.  At work, I listen to the message and call back in 30 seconds.  This has never presented a problem.   If the call is a robocall, then picking up and quickly hanging up sends a signal to their computer that they've reach "a live one", and the calls will proliferate.  We stopped answering the robocalls a few years ago, and now only get about 2 per night. I want to be less cynical, but nearly all my friends, and even my ancient parents, us caller ID now, and that pretty much solves it.
Bob

Northwood
Noname Italian classical 1969
Hashimoto classical 1963
Conde Hermanos (3)
Martin nylon backpacker
Blueridge 341
sadly sold: Larrivee Forum III

I have caller ID on both phone's the problem is I live in a college town so most calls are no ID but I have to answer as Its not good to let calls go to voice mail when running a shop.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Sabatini on January 06, 2018, 01:23:51 PM
I am on the state and national no-call lists. I get constant calls from "Bridget" or "Rachel" from "Credit Card Services." They come from a different number each time and caller ID often says they are calls from local businesses.

There seems to be nothing that can be done to stop the calls. It is impossible to block the numbers since they change each call. Either don't answer or immediately hang up. Unless the FBI or Justice Department apply some real horsepower to stopping these scammers they won't stop. And I can't see the government making this annoyance a priority.

I get these a lot to....listed as a local cell phone number, different each time.  I can't block them, and even if I could, I'd be blocking someone who didn't actually call me, not the scammer.  And I have to answer my phone regardless of an unfamiliar number, due to business.  One time I stayed on the line all the way to the end, and when they asked for a verbal response, I started yelling "stop calling me" over and over.  It clicked to a different message that apologized and said they would add me to their DNC list.  Haven't gotten another call from that company lately, but not all the robocalls have a verbal prompt.
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I'm new here and I'm just clicking around.  Idk if i'm resurrecting old threads, but this one struck a chord.  Yuk yuk.  Phone scams are a pet peeve.  I catch CL scams on the regular.  Here's what I do for to the telemarketers:
Get a hooman on the phone.  Then tell them you need to grab something real quick.  Set the phone down, and walk away.  Do this 2-3 times and the calls will slow down.

I do a similar tactic for junk mail.

I stuff it ALL into any business reply mail envelope and send it back to whoever send me the offer.  This took closer to 7 or 8 times until it worked.  It lasted about 10 years.  I had to do it again this holiday season, but only the once.  It seems to have slowed down again. hahaha.

There's zero research behind any of this other than my personal experience.  It worked for me.  The do not call list helped, but this finished em off.

Quote from: LessPaul on January 13, 2018, 06:10:23 PM
I'm new here and I'm just clicking around. 

Hi LessPaul!  Welcome!   :donut :donut :donut2 :donut2
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

I no longer have a land line. I feel for you Rob as it pertains to running a business.  I did find that when I had a land line I determined to give the telemarketers a taste of their own medicine, stringing them along as best I could without revealing my intent to waste their time. If you do this a few times, and can keep them going for 5-10 minutes it is my unsubstantiated opinion that your number gets onto another list that the telemarketers know as someone who is into the game of wasting telemarketers time and the calls eventually stop until the next election cycle when robocalls pick up.
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud