Stability of Larriveé guitars

Started by HNS, November 03, 2017, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For some reason, probably due to the bracing and other factors, Larriveé guitars experience less creep, body distortion, bellied-up bridges, soundhole dips and less neck resets.

Is it just the bracing? or is there something else around the neck block?

I'd really like to understand the mechanics of this.

Cheers
H
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

I go with the bracing,plus more attention to details.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I go with the idea that most Larrivee owners are also players, so they know how to take care of their guitars.

This thread will likely produce a whole lot of input...

Mass Production line guitars built by other manufacturers don't have the same care applied to their individual builds and could partially explain why they are prone to have more issues.  Larrivee still uses only solid woods and no laminates, hand selects tops and mils each one of them to the correct thickness for the body style and pretty much still builds all of their guitars one at a time by hand.  I think your comment "bracing and other factors" likely hits the nail on the head...  there are quite a few Larrivee videos out there that illustrate these points.  Your comment probably also holds true for most of the higher quality small builders..  There is a lot to be said about the value of being hand made with care...
George

Perhaps the owners like them so well that they take better care of them. Larrivee owners are after all more discerning  :beer
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

There's a youtube video with Jean talking about soundhole reinforcement !
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

Quote from: broKen on November 03, 2017, 03:30:09 PM
Perhaps the owners like them so well that they take better care of them. Larrivee owners are after all more discerning  :beer
+1 on this response :beer
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

Quote from: broKen on November 03, 2017, 03:30:09 PM
Larrivee owners are after all more discerning  :beer

As a tounge-in-cheek quip on the Larrivee fourum, this is entertaining.  But in reality, how could you possibly demonstrate this?

Quote from: sdelsolray on November 03, 2017, 06:41:18 PM
As a tounge-in-cheek quip on the Larrivee fourum, this is entertaining.  But in reality, how could you possibly demonstrate this?

Probably can't. Not without a lot of effort. And it may not be so.
Maybe it IS the guitar.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on November 03, 2017, 07:20:36 PM
Probably can't. Not without a lot of effort. And it may not be so.
Maybe it IS the guitar.

Oh I think we have enough evidence in other threads here that demonstrate what happens when a guitar is Not properly cared for, even to a Larrivee...

Notwithstanding negligence, I firmly believe Larrivee guitars are built better than a lot of others are, including some well known name brands...

And, I also agree it would be incredibly difficult to prove...
George

Quote from: nayoud on November 03, 2017, 03:16:27 PM
For some reason, probably due to the bracing and other factors, Larriveé guitars experience less creep, body distortion, bellied-up bridges, soundhole dips and less neck resets.

Is it just the bracing? or is there something else around the neck block?

I'd really like to understand the mechanics of this.

Cheers
H

Assuming this is factually true about Larrivee guitars, and not anecdotal, I don't know if there is any technical explanation, but I doubt it.  I have heard and read statements by some that Larrivees are "heavily built", to the extent that tone is compromised.  There are even discussions on this forum about that, including observations by John and Matt Larrivee.

My 2 early 80s L models have endured a lot of exposure to very dry winter humidity during their first 25 years and other neglect and abuse due to my ignorance of proper guitar care until about 10 years ago.  They are more or less just as they were when I got them in terms of structure, neck angle, etc.  If it is because they are heavily built, then good for me because there is no compromise in sound as far as I am concerned.

On the other hand, I got my 2008 OM-03 (Vancouver-built) when it was about 6 years old.  It's top was cracked in 2 places on either side of the center-line between the bridge and the butt edge.  Apparently, it had not been properly humidified or cared for, similar to the mistreatment I had subjected my older Larrivees to.

I agree with you folks who say that proper humidification and care is the biggest factor and that we are all more likely to take care of the guitars we spent a lot of money on and cherish. 
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on November 04, 2017, 01:47:01 AM
Assuming this is factually true about Larrivee guitars, and not anecdotal, I don't know if there is any technical explanation, but I doubt it.  I have heard and read statements by some that Larrivees are "heavily built", to the extent that tone is compromised.  There are even discussions on this forum about that, including observations by John and Matt Larrivee.

My 2 early 80s L models have endured a lot of exposure to very dry winter humidity during their first 25 years and other neglect and abuse due to my ignorance of proper guitar care until about 10 years ago.  They are more or less just as they were when I got them in terms of structure, neck angle, etc.  If it is because they are heavily built, then good for me because there is no compromise in sound as far as I am concerned.

On the other hand, I got my 2008 OM-03 (Vancouver-built) when it was about 6 years old.  It's top was cracked in 2 places on either side of the center-line between the bridge and the butt edge.  Apparently, it had not been properly humidified or cared for, similar to the mistreatment I had subjected my older Larrivees to.

I agree with you folks who say that proper humidification and care is the biggest factor and that we are all more likely to take care of the guitars we spent a lot of money on and cherish.  

Thanks for your comment
I do believe that Larrivee guitars are heavier braced than my Martin authentic and Marquis series.... I have no doubt in my mind. They also take longer to open up.... but once they do, they sound terrific. Do they sound as open, loud and bassy as my 10-year-old Martin, no, but they sound good enough for me to really value it next to the others. The Martin comes with a hefty cost as well, and that's the problems many of us face down the line.

A few years back I had to ship my guitars by sea.... they all arrived in good condition, the L-05 was nearly in tune after 55 days at sea, the Gibson SWD I had at the time was nowhere near in tune. That's where I got my first impression about Larrivee stability. The Mahogany could have been a factor as well, the SWD was rosewood.
Cheers
Larrivée L-05 Vine
Emerald X20

"Be & Remember ☮"

I have a 1998 OM05MT (all mahogany), a 1998 D10 Brazilian, and 2007 JCL 40th Anniversary Edition.  All 3 look like new, and I have never even had to adjust the truss
rods.  The necks are arrow straight, no belly bulges or crack anywhere.  If they are overbuilt, fine with me.  But I will take issue with anyone who thinks they are
compromised in tone.  My JCL sounds every bit as good as my far more expensive Goodall, and the D10 is on another planet.  :bowdown:
https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan

1971 Yamaha FG200 (My original guitar)
1996 Yamaha DW5S
2002 Yamaha LL500
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard
2007 Larrrivee JCL 40th Anniversary
1998 Larrivee OM5MT
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"