New L-03 Silver Oak - Body Stripe Concern

Started by tom1, October 26, 2017, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: tom1 on November 02, 2017, 09:31:23 AM
Update:

While I was waiting for the vendor to send me return shipping information I went out and played a number of guitars to try and decide what I wanted.  I tried everything from a Larrivee L-03 Canada 150th Commemorative Edition, J-45, J-35, Hummingbird, D-18 and a D-16.  Honestly, nothing else was the silver oak...especially considering some of those guitars are well over twice the price!!  I especially wasn't impressed with the fit and finish on the Gibson J's regardless of price.  

I was also contacted by a forum member who shared how special and rare silver oak is and how Jean does not believe he can get much more.  I reached out to the vendor again and asked for a larger discount and we came to a number I found more agreeable.  So, the guitar is going to be staying with me!  It's my birthday today, so I'm going to open the shipping box like it's the first time!!

Well Happy Birthday!  And I think you made a great decision, Larrivee's are very hard to beat...
George

Happy to hear you got it resolved to your satisfaction with the dealer. and are able to keep what is essentially the best guitar you can find. Even knowing about the binding filler you still came back to this guitar. Says a lot about the guitar for sure.

I agree about Gibson acoustics btw. I don't understand the attraction to be honest.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: tom1 on November 02, 2017, 09:31:23 AM

I was also contacted by a forum member who shared how special and rare silver oak is and how Jean does not believe he can get much more.

I don't know who told you this, but unless I heard it directly from Jean, Matthew or John Jr., I'd be skeptical of this claim. I have not heard of silver oak being rare or hard to get...  :?

...and while many of us around here like silver oak, and believe it has some wonderful aesthetic and tonal properties, I don't think it's lighting the world on fire in terms of demand for guitar bodies...

No offense, just sayin' ...  :donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: George on November 02, 2017, 10:04:06 AM
Well Happy Birthday!  And I think you made a great decision, Larrivee's are very hard to beat...

Thank you!   :cheers  :donut :donut2

Quote from: Mikeymac on November 02, 2017, 01:52:16 PM
I don't know who told you this, but unless I heard it directly from Jean, Matthew or John Jr., I'd be skeptical of this claim. I have not heard of silver oak being rare or hard to get...  :?

...and while many of us around here like silver oak, and believe it has some wonderful aesthetic and tonal properties, I don't think it's lighting the world on fire in terms of demand for guitar bodies...

No offense, just sayin' ...  :donut :coffee

I was told that in a one-on-one conversation:  "Jean says that he is running out of silver oak, and doesn't know if he can get more." 

This wasn't the main reason I kept it obviously.  I really like the sound.  Realistically, how many builders are even using this wood?  To my knowledge Larrivee is the only one doing it on a regular basis. 

Quote from: markj on November 02, 2017, 10:50:00 AM
Happy to hear you got it resolved to your satisfaction with the dealer. and are able to keep what is essentially the best guitar you can find. Even knowing about the binding filler you still came back to this guitar. Says a lot about the guitar for sure.

I agree about Gibson acoustics btw. I don't understand the attraction to be honest.

They have the "cool" factor I guess.  The biggest thing I saw on the J-45 and J-35 was that the fretboards weren't bound and the side of the fretboards were sprayed with gloss.  Where the fretboard sits on the body of the guitar there was a build-up gloss finish that looked like it accumulated and dried.  The fretboard side facing the sound hole seemed to be unfinished and covered with overspray.  They sounded pretty good though!

Happy birthday and, enjoy that guitar.
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"

If it was like that in just one spot, or maybe two, I'd probably be inclined to ignore it and move on. Your pictures paint the issue as being greater than one or two bad areas. That'd be tough for me. They're expected to sound great AND look great. My OM-04 had a pretty poor spot of binding on the back that surprised me for having cleared QC. I kept the guitar because it sounds great and only had the one cosmetic flaw.  
I didn't read to the end of the thread before commenting, so happy birthday and I'm glad there was a good resolution!
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Happy Birthday!  I don't think I'd stress about that binding if the guitar itself is not compromised. The sound and playability are more critical factors in my opinion.  It almost looks like a translucency thing with the wood grain, though hard to tell from pics.  Enjoy and play the heck out of it!
2010 LSV-11e
2002 4E Jose Ramirez
1998 S6+folk Seagull
1986 Charvel Model 3A
2001 Fender Jazz bass
1935 A-OO Gibson mandolin
1815 JG Hamm violin

All's well that ends well.  Enjoy your hard-earned guitar.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

I played one of these today at Hatfield Guitars in Janesville, WI. Bill just took delivery of it and 4 additional Larrivees.

The L-01 Silver Oak did in fact exhibit the same trim issue in places. It seemed more subtle on this particular guitar but it was there in several areas.

It sounded and played awesome. Very rich and deeper bass than I expected. Gorgeous to look at as well.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on November 04, 2017, 08:05:58 PM
I played one of these today at Hatfield Guitars in Janesville, WI. Bill just took delivery of it and 4 additional Larrivees.

The L-01 Silver Oak did in fact exhibit the same trim issue in places. It seemed more subtle on this particular guitar but it was there in sever areas.

It sounded and played awesome. Very rich and deeper bass than I expected. Gorgeous to look at as well.

Good to know mine is not the only one!