New L-03 Silver Oak - Body Stripe Concern

Started by tom1, October 26, 2017, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just received delivery of a brand new L-03GR Silver Oak two days ago.  This is my first Larrivee and this thing is stunning!  I can't believe the sound and projection it has.  This model came with an upgraded Sitka top and black body stripe binding found on the 09 series.

On closer inspection I have a concern with the stripe binding on the sides.  In many places it looks as though the silver oak sides splintered slightly when it was cut resulting in small voids where it meets the stripe binding.  These voids appear to have been filled with black filler causing the black stripe to have a noticeable variance in thickness in several places around the guitar.  Comparatively, the striping on the top and back is perfect.  

For those that are familiar with Larrivee fit and finish, particularly with the 09 side striping, is this normal?  I will see if I can attach some pictures this afternoon for better reference.  

Edit:  This is my first post....donuts for all!    :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2 :donut :donut2

no pix showed up
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

It took a couple of tries, but they are showing up when I look at the thread now.  

Edit:  I posted using Chrome and I can see the pictures.  I just tried viewing them on Explorer and nothing shows up!  I'll try again. 

No pics.

You need to use a hosting site like http://postimages.org/ and paste the direct link between the [img]  tags
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

I was trying to link from Google Photo.  Hopefully Postimage.org works!

It does look very "un-Larrivee" like. I'm betting it will never get any worse, so if everything else about the guitar is stellar, I'd probably ignore it and enjoy a great guitar. 

Rb

Quote from: rbpicker on October 26, 2017, 03:15:04 PM
It does look very "un-Larrivee" like. I'm betting it will never get any worse, so if everything else about the guitar is stellar, I'd probably ignore it and enjoy a great guitar. 

Rb

The guitar is amazing otherwise, but again it is my first Larrivee and I was expecting the fit and finish that you hear everyone rave about on these forums.  It is disappointing, but it solely cosmetic. 

Here is an email I just received from Larrivee:

It is some slight gapping between the purfling and the body along the routing channel. We never like to see this, but it can happen from time to time with certain tonewoods because of grain patterns and grain stability. There is nothing to be done repair wise. It is purely cosmetic. If it makes you unhappy, your recourse would be to return it to the dealer. If you have further comments or questions, I will continue to provide you with information. It is my hope that my comments have lessened your concern and you are able to continue to enjoy your new 03GR to it's full potential.

I have a couple of dozen Larrivees, and I have never noticed anything like that.  But, to be honest, I have never looked that close.  I look at a guitar as a whole ... how does it play, sound and look.  But I do not magnify glass them, or put mirrors inside to see if there might be an errant spot of glue.  But then, that is me.  I look at Trigger, and all is well with my guitars.  But I think Larrivee gave you good advice.  Play it and enjoy it.  If the cosmetics prevent you from doing that return it.  But if it feels good, plays good and sounds good, I would think hard before I did that.

i just checked my OM-03 Silver Oak, and it exhibits a little bit of the same condition. Not quite as pronounced as yours appears, but it's there. Frankly I hadn't noticed it. Now that I know it's there, I will just continue enjoying this fabulous guitar and probably never think it about it again.

Rb

First off,  :welcome:
I'm wondering if it's that much more noticeable because of the dark/light contrast? For me it's hard to tell how I'd feel, unless I saw it up close and personal. If you run your hand or a finger over it, can you feel any sort of deviation? If not, I'd keep it. Good luck!
Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
Forum VI, & "others"

I wouldn't be happy with it, but once understanding the cause and explanation, I wouldn't return it based on that alone.  Seems you really like how it plays and sounds, so it boils down to how much it bothers you, I guess.
:nice guitar:
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

This would annoy me every time I looked at the guitar. It is not something that I would expect to see on a Larrivee. Frankly I am surprised they let this one out of the factory unless it was sold as a "second". Every Larrivee I have seen has been immaculate in fine detail.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

It is slightly annoying that it has some flaws, but this thing sounds amazing!  I put on some Gotoh tuners last night and played for a couple of hours.  It is truly remarkable otherwise! 

Quote from: Rockysdad on October 26, 2017, 08:22:24 PM
First off,  :welcome:
I'm wondering if it's that much more noticeable because of the dark/light contrast? For me it's hard to tell how I'd feel, unless I saw it up close and personal. If you run your hand or a finger over it, can you feel any sort of deviation? If not, I'd keep it. Good luck!

No, there is no feeling of any deviation.  Nice and smooth.  I'm sure the contrast makes it more noticeable. 

It sounds to me like this may be the result of the wood grain selection for an 03 model and nothing more, the finishing seems to be uniform.  It is just more noticeable where the black filler is wider?  I have a J-60 Silver Oak that was constructed of the highest quality of Silver Oak and I see none of these issues on my guitar.  Irregardless, it sounds like you really love the guitar so keep on keepin' it and enjoying it sounds like a great plan...
George

I wouldn't be happy with this blemish even on a cheap chinese guitar.  It would be on its way back to Larrivee through the dealer., pronto  A guitar the likes of Larrivee has to look as good as it plays and sounds.  I think as Larrivee fans and consumers we need to be the last line of quality control.  I wouldn't want a visually blemished guitar that is due to construction to be sold on to another consumer.  Handling dings and other playing marks are completely different in my mind.  They add to a guitar's mystique and appearance.  That is my opinion
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: webberink on October 27, 2017, 01:46:32 PM
I wouldn't be happy with this blemish even on a cheap chinese guitar.  It would be on its way back to Larrivee through the dealer., pronto  A guitar the likes of Larrivee has to look as good as it plays and sounds.  I think as Larrivee fans and consumers we need to be the last line of quality control.  I wouldn't want a visually blemished guitar that is due to construction to be sold on to another consumer.  Handling dings and other playing marks are completely different in my mind.  They add to a guitar's mystique and appearance.  That is my opinion

This is how I was feeling when I first discovered the issue.  I have reached out to the vendor to see what suggestions they have. 

Quote from: George on October 27, 2017, 12:03:44 PM
It sounds to me like this may be the result of the wood grain selection for an 03 model and nothing more, the finishing seems to be uniform.  It is just more noticeable where the black filler is wider?  I have a J-60 Silver Oak that was constructed of the highest quality of Silver Oak and I see none of these issues on my guitar.  Irregardless, it sounds like you really love the guitar so keep on keepin' it and enjoying it sounds like a great plan...

Yes, it is just the black filler that makes it appear wider. 

Quote from: George on October 27, 2017, 12:03:44 PM

I have a J-60 Silver Oak that was constructed of the highest quality of Silver Oak and I see none of these issues on my guitar.

I have a C-10 with Silver Oak back and sides, and I also see none of this on mine. However, I noticed (looking very closely at the side binding) that the 10 series also has a very thin light layer of binding between the wood and the thicker black layer of binding...this may be hiding some imperfections, but even looking very closely, I see nothing like what you have there. My suspicion is that they used a dull dremel blade when they cut the binding rout on the sides of your guitar, and it chipped out more wood than a sharp blade would have...

Quote from: webberink on October 27, 2017, 01:46:32 PM

I wouldn't be happy with this blemish even on a cheap chinese guitar.  It would be on its way back to Larrivee through the dealer, pronto  A guitar the likes of Larrivee has to look as good as it plays and sounds. I think as Larrivee fans and consumers we need to be the last line of quality control.  I wouldn't want a visually blemished guitar that is due to construction to be sold on to another consumer.  Handling dings and other playing marks are completely different in my mind.  They add to a guitar's mystique and appearance.  That is my opinion

I agree with this 100% - it's not acceptable, and if it bothered you enough to post here about it, it will keep bothering you in the future. But it's your call. I'd send it back.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992