New L-03 Silver Oak - Body Stripe Concern

Started by tom1, October 26, 2017, 11:01:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I think the Rev is right, it was probably a tool issue.  He is also probably right about it being a bother in the future.  For me, a guitar is kinda like a marriage  ... its best to get it right and then commit to making it last.  I can't figure this out though.  If you were going to fill the wood to try and finish after making gaps like this in the silver oak, why wasn't a light coloured filler to match the silver oak not used???
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Hi Tom,

There are lots of great sounding Larrivée guitars out there. I would send this one back.

ST

I keep thinking of Trigger ......
Looks are not the over riding concern.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 27, 2017, 09:58:24 PM
I keep thinking of Trigger ......
Looks are not the over riding concern.

Says the man with some of the most gorgeous guitars in the known universe!   :winkin:
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on October 28, 2017, 12:17:18 AM
Says the man with some of the most gorgeous guitars in the known universe!   :winkin:

And yet, you have never heard me complain about build quality.  With as many Larrivees as I have, if I looked close enough, I could probably find something somewhere on one or more of them.  I just think of the old days, sitting on the floor in a circle, passing the guitar around, taking turns playing and singing.  Never once saw anyone get a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe out and check out the smallest finish details before they smiled and played.  Never saw anyone getting a dentist's mirror out to see if there was some errant glue anywhere on the inside.  Just not important to me.  As a friend of mine once said to me, nothing man made is perfect.

My new guitar isn't perfect!!! :crying: :crying: :crying:   :rolleye:

But it sounds great  :tongue:
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

The noticeable filler is just not expected on a Larrivee. There seems to be quite a lot of it too. You just don't get that even on the entry level guitars. There is something wrong with this whole story. It sounds like a second being sold as a first I would send it back. The perfect replacement will be just as good and maybe better.
Guild D55 (1974) Rosewood and Spruce.
Larrivee O-01 (2003) Maple Special Edition. Quilted Maple and Cedar top.
Larrivee OM 19 (2003) California Special Edition. Rosewood and Spruce
Larrivee L05 (1996) Customised. Mahogany and Cedar.
Taylor 714 CE (2015) Rosewood and Spruce
Marshall AC50D
Concertinas, harmoniums, mandolins and autoharps

Get real!!  There is a big difference between the kind of obvious construction blemishes found on every surface except the top of the guitar in question and a little glue residue found on a brace somewhere on the inside of a guitar.  Again, as a Larrivee consumer we are the final line of quality control for our beloved guitar company.  I wonder what The Man himself would say if he saw this guitar?  I expect that with his demanding quality control standards he would want to reel it back in and replace it.
I love those older Canadian made Larrivees!

Quote from: Walkerman on October 28, 2017, 09:23:11 AM
And yet, you have never heard me complain about build quality.  With as many Larrivees as I have, if I looked close enough, I could probably find something somewhere on one or more of them.  I just think of the old days, sitting on the floor in a circle, passing the guitar around, taking turns playing and singing.  Never once saw anyone get a magnifying glass or jewelers loupe out and check out the smallest finish details before they smiled and played.  Never saw anyone getting a dentist's mirror out to see if there was some errant glue anywhere on the inside.  Just not important to me.  As a friend of mine once said to me, nothing man made is perfect.

Yes, yes. But, you have to admit, at the level of expectation of high build quality that Larrivee guitars have garnered over the past 50 years, one would think that something this noticeable would have been rejected by QC.  If the edge of that piece of wood could not be made to the same standards as all the other guitars, and even guitars of lesser cost, it should have been rejected.

It's pretty noticeable man. I would be taking it back.
1977 Classical
2015 OO-40
2017 LV-10 50th Annniversary #2/50
2021 LSV-03 Forum VI
2023 Hatfield BJG Strong Tenor low G Ukulele #003

Quote from: markj on October 28, 2017, 08:58:48 PM
It's pretty noticeable man. I would be taking it back.

If I bought it used at a reduced rate it would be one thing but as a new guitar I wouldn't keep it. It would bug me.
Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Hi everyone.  Thanks so much for all of your input!  I'm glad that many of you feel the same way I do about this guitar.  So, here is the update:

I contacted the vendor.  They were very receptive which has been good.  I was told I had 2 options.  The first is that they would offer me a reduction in the price of the guitar.  The second, I could return the guitar for a full refund and they would pay for the shipping.  

When I followed up, they informed me the partial refund was going to be $100.  Needless to say that made my decision easy...the guitar is going back.  Again, the vendor has been fantastic which is great because this could have been very messy.  I think the fact that I reached out to Larrivee first and was able to send the vendor my correspondence to support the questionable workmanship helped my cause.

I agree with the comments above that it seems to be a tooling issue.  The gaps only appear on the sides and not the back, which is also the same material.  I am perplexed why they would use black to fill such noticeable areas instead of a colour that would match the silver oak.  I too wonder what Jean would think!  I was so excited to have a limited edition Larrivee signed by the man himself made from such unique and beautiful tone wood.

Moral of the story, beware of buying guitars just by photographs.  I live in a small town and don't have easy access to high end stores, so I believed I would be safe purchasing a Larrivee.  Unfortunately this experience has left a bit a of negative stigma of the brand...I would like to be proven wrong though because for the price these guitars sound like they are normally fantastic!  I would love to hear suggestions for what I should look for as a replacement!

If you liked the guitar, buy another Larrivee.  Obviously they took care of you.

Quote from: tom1 on October 30, 2017, 12:59:23 PM

Moral of the story, beware of buying guitars just by photographs.  I live in a small town and don't have easy access to high end stores, so I believed I would be safe purchasing a Larrivee.  Unfortunately this experience has left a bit a of negative stigma of the brand...I would like to be proven wrong though because for the price these guitars sound like they are normally fantastic!  I would love to hear suggestions for what I should look for as a replacement!

Surprised you are left with a negative stigma? You had a guitar that played and sounded wonderful by a company that stood behind its product when a defect arose. If you can think of a brand that gives you your 1st two and you are guaranteed of no "unfortunate experience" on the latter - then go with that one.

Me I don't think the latter exists, so I stick mainly with Larrivee as I know it will play perfect, sound exceptional and should a workmanship defect arise they won't turn their back on me.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I agree, I think you will be safe buying another Larrivee guitar, even with the same choice for back/sides wood.  I have never been dissatisfied with any Larrivee guitars, their dealers nor their support.  I rate them higher than any other production line guitar maker.  This case appears to me to be very unusual for the brand...
George

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 30, 2017, 03:16:12 PM
Surprised you are left with a negative stigma? You had a guitar that played and sounded wonderful by a company that stood behind its product when a defect arose. If you can think of a brand that gives you your 1st two and you are guaranteed of no "unfortunate experience" on the latter - then go with that one.

Me I don't think the latter exists, so I stick mainly with Larrivee as I know it will play perfect, sound exceptional and should a workmanship defect arise they won't turn their back on me.

Maybe I phrased it wrong.  I am super impressed with the company and their dealer support.  What I meant to express is that I have second thoughts ordering another Larrivee sight unseen.  The problem is that I have it in my head that I would like a guitar that is unique--which is hard to find where I live.  First world problems!

One time I had a top shelf Larrivee, that had a dab of soft putty in a small gap at the nut. I talked to Larrivee about it, the answer made sense. End of story.
     That was fourteen or so Larrivees back. I have another one being shipped this week. A total of eighteen now i think. Five in my stall now.
      I guess if I looked close enough there would be a flaw in each one. No big deal.

I think you'll regret returning it.
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on October 30, 2017, 06:25:25 PM
I think you'll regret returning it.

I second that emotion.  Personally, I would contact the dealer and make a counter offer.
Considering the cost of shipping, time and everything else involved, I believe there should be wiggle room in the price.  Especially if you make it clear that the replacement guitar will not be purchased from them.

Quote from: Danny on October 30, 2017, 04:11:58 PM
One time I had a top shelf Larrivee, that had a dab of soft putty in a small gap at the nut. I talked to Larrivee about it, the answer made sense. End of story.
     That was fourteen or so Larrivees back. I have another one being shipped this week. A total of eighteen now i think. Five in my stall now.
      I guess if I looked close enough there would be a flaw in each one. No big deal.

Triple OOOhhh  :nanadance
Pain is a good thing

Update:

While I was waiting for the vendor to send me return shipping information I went out and played a number of guitars to try and decide what I wanted.  I tried everything from a Larrivee L-03 Canada 150th Commemorative Edition, J-45, J-35, Hummingbird, D-18 and a D-16.  Honestly, nothing else was the silver oak...especially considering some of those guitars are well over twice the price!!  I especially wasn't impressed with the fit and finish on the Gibson J's regardless of price.  

I was also contacted by a forum member who shared how special and rare silver oak is and how Jean does not believe he can get much more.  I reached out to the vendor again and asked for a larger discount and we came to a number I found more agreeable.  So, the guitar is going to be staying with me!  It's my birthday today, so I'm going to open the shipping box like it's the first time!!