Which pickup do i need?

Started by D3rasp, October 17, 2017, 09:18:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey guys

I was going at the end of the week to drop off my guitar for a strap pin and pick up installation. I was set on Lr baggs anthem but now i hear that its not the best for hard strummers. Then Highlander ip 2 and then sunrise and then fishman. Now i feel dizzy just thinking about all the different options and combinations. I strum hard and finger big pretty hard, for solo or duo live gigs. I dont want somthing that will tarnish the sound unplugged or somthing that requires a pre amp cut out on the sides. I am open to anything just want someone elses opnion and judt go for it, cant watch anymore youtube comparrisons, in probably seen everyone in the past couple of days. Ppl also suggest sound hole pickups for hard strummers, is that my best bet?

Please advise.

David D-02

I too am a hard strummer and heavy handed picker.  I have tested just about every possible pickup combination and have come to the conclusion that a soundhole mounted mag pickup is right for me and my style.  The two I lean toward the most these days are not prone to picking up pick "clicks" that occasionaly hit the top of the pickup and they are extremely quiet, while at the same time very balanced across the strings.  The EMG ACS and the Schertler AG6 Magnetico are both active pickups that do not require a preamp because they are already built in.  Each one does have a volume control.  The Schertler also allows a mini condenser mic that plugs into the side of it and has a separate blend control for the mic.  The EMG ACS also has adjustable pole pieces which are extremely useful.  The EMG is likely the quietest mag soundhole pickup I have ever tested, from a noise floor and hum perspective they are virtually non-existent...
George

I play in a duo with a real thumper partner both of our guitars have Anthem SL's installed in both have never had a problem it all about the mix.We run them thru the PARA direct into a PA the PA channels are set flat with all eq'ing done on the PARA.The gain control on both is about 11 o'clock.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: George on October 17, 2017, 09:49:25 AM
I too am a hard strummer and heavy handed picker.  I have tested just about every possible pickup combination and have come to the conclusion that a soundhole mounted mag pickup is right for me and my style.  The two I lean toward the most these days are not prone to picking up pick "clicks" that occasionaly hit the top of the pickup and they are extremely quiet, while at the same time very balanced across the strings.  The EMG ACS and the Schertler AG6 Magnetico are both active pickups that do not require a preamp because they are already built in.  Each one does have a volume control.  The Schertler also allows a mini condenser mic that plugs into the side of it and has a separate blend control for the mic.  The EMG ACS also has adjustable pole pieces which are extremely useful.  The EMG is likely the quietest mag soundhole pickup I have ever tested, from a noise floor and hum perspective they are virtually non-existent...

Thx george, do u play with a heavy pick also? And have u tried the anthem?

Quote from: D3rasp on October 17, 2017, 10:26:44 AM

Thx george, do u play with a heavy pick also? And have u tried the anthem?

.60-.70 medium pick usually.  Preference is Ultex and/or Snarks new neo-tortoise, then I drill them to a Wegen bluegrass pick grip pattern.  I do have some guitars with the Anthem system in them and I like them really well.  I also like the K&K Pure Mini.  What I have trouble with on those is noise I create with my pick that I find undesirable for recording.  Pickup preference is somewhat like string selection, it has a lot to do with the players style...
George

Quote from: George on October 17, 2017, 10:35:55 AM
.60-.70 medium pick usually.  Preference is Ultex and/or Snarks new neo-tortoise, then I drill them to a Wegen bluegrass pick grip pattern.  I do have some guitars with the Anthem system in them and I like them really well.  I also like the K&K Pure Mini.  What I have trouble with on those is noise I create with my pick that I find undesirable for recording.  Pickup preference is somewhat like string selection, it has a lot to do with the players style...

Ok i used wegen and blue chip 1mm and i play bluegrass and townes van zandt style figner picking. I used daddario nickle and martin vintage strings and i mash them. Would u still sugest those 2 soundhole pickups

K&K pure western is my go to...  unless you are in a loud rock combo (full drum set, arena volumes), they'd be my choice.

Ed

Quote from: D3rasp on October 17, 2017, 10:43:03 AM
Ok i used wegen and blue chip 1mm and i play bluegrass and townes van zandt style figner picking. I used daddario nickle and martin vintage strings and i mash them. Would u still sugest those 2 soundhole pickups

What do you mean by "mash them"?  Those strings are especially well suited for mag pickup use...
George