Opinion /help

Started by jrainman, October 16, 2017, 04:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello not new member ,but first time post , So let me get everyone some  :donut :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 :donut2 , I need some help on this late 60s hollow body archtop I picked up at a garage sale last weekend , I was able to Id the guitar as a Danelectro / Coral  Guitar  it seems to be a Vincent Bell Combo Model  ,  but it has no Electrics ????  ,but everything I found said this guitar came as accoustic /electric hence the name  COMBO , any how it is in very nice condition has a very nice archtop sound (tone) Do you guys think it would be wise to add electrics  and if so should I just go buy way of pickgaurd with intergraded electrics as not to strart drilling or should I go with more of theginal electrics,  Thank you I will try to post pictures

I think it's time to learn everything you can on this model. Online, books, forums etc.

And drill no holes until you are sure you want to destroy the vintage quality of this guitar. I'll check my books, if I can find them. I just moved again
   I'm sure others will join in. Pix would be real nice. The headstock on these was called the refrigerator stock, I think.

LOL No drilling promise from what I have found so far it does have some Value and it does sound very nice as is (No electric) / archtop body was built by the Kawai piano company of Japan /solid sruce top with Maple back and sides/ coral / danelectro full scale neckwith neck tilt adjustment /Brazilian rosewood fingerboard & headstock / nickel closed back Klusion tuners.  1 3/4 brass nut  .

Very nice garage sale find.  Kawai made really nice pianos back in the day. (maybe still do?)

Anyway, Welcome to the forum!  Please post some pics and I am certain you will find some helpful information here...
George

It may just have come with electronics mounted on the guard.Kawai made all sorts og guitars back in the day.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote from: jrainman on October 16, 2017, 05:01:56 PM
LOL No drilling promise from what I have found so far it does have some Value and it does sound very nice as is (No electric) / archtop body was built by the Kawai piano company of Japan /solid sruce top with Maple back and sides/ coral / danelectro full scale neckwith neck tilt adjustment /Brazilian rosewood fingerboard & headstock / nickel closed back Klusion tuners.  1 3/4 brass nut  .
Man, we gotta have pix. Garage sale find of the year. The brass nut tells me it is at least early 70's.

It seems my pictures are over the allowed  size. I will have to find another way to load pictures here . from my reaserch Danelectro was sold to MCA in 1967  MCA started the coral line of guitars as there professional series  they stoped production and closed there doors in Neptune NJ in 1969.  In the course of just trying to find out what model this guitar was  I stumbled on to the reason why MCA closed the Danelectro factory apparently MCA was one of the companies in that erra that was in the crosshares of attorney general Robert Kennedy  as being a Monopoly .

Quote from: jrainman on October 16, 2017, 09:33:14 PM
It seems my pictures are over the allowed  size. I will have to find another way to load pictures here . from my reaserch Danelectro was sold to MCA in 1967  MCA started the coral line of guitars as there professional series  they stoped production and closed there doors in Neptune NJ in 1969.  In the course of just trying to find out what model this guitar was  I stumbled on to the reason why MCA closed the Danelectro factory apparently MCA was one of the companies in that erra that was in the crosshares of attorney general Robert Kennedy  as being a Monopoly .

One way I have resized my pix, is to email them to myself. Download them, then upload to the forum. Email resizes them.

Quote from: Danny on October 16, 2017, 09:45:51 PM
One way I have resized my pix, is to email them to myself. Download them, then upload to the forum. Email resizes them.
Another way is to use Microsoft Paint which has easy resizing abilities.
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on October 17, 2017, 07:10:04 AM
Another way is to use Microsoft Paint which has easy resizing abilities.
Paint used to be my only way to resize. It does work well.

Microsoft Paint to be killed off after 32 years

Long-standing basic graphics editing program, used throughout childhoods since the 1980s, has been marked for death.
Microsoft's next Windows 10 update, called the Autumn (or Fall in the US) Creators Update, will bring a variety of new features. But one long-standing stalwart of the Windows experience has been put on the chopping block: Microsoft Paint.
source

I use Windows Photo Gallery, which is a free download application that is part of the Windows Essentials package that came out around 2012 or so.  The download is free, you do Not have to download the entire Essentials package, and resizing, cropping, and enhancing photos is very simple to do...
George

Ok Here ya go pictures

more pictures

Wow! :nice guitar:

Awesome find! Congrats!  :nice guitar:

After seeing the pics, a couple questions:

It looks like there's an open spot at the end of the fingerboard where a pickup was installed? Are there screw holes in either side of the fingerboard where a pickup was mounted (might only be on one side)?

Was there a pickguard also mounted to the top - could have been attached to the pickup/end of fingerboard? Check the side of the body for a screw hole where it might have been mounted - Les Paul or other jazz guitar style.

Answering those questions (and finding some online pics of an original, unmolested guitar) will help you determine what kind of electronics it used to have.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 17, 2017, 01:45:35 PM
It looks like there's an open spot at the end of the fingerboard where a pickup was installed? Are there screw holes in either side of the fingerboard where a pickup was mounted (might only be on one side)?

Was there a pickguard also mounted to the top - could have been attached to the pickup/end of fingerboard? Check the side of the body for a screw hole where it might have been mounted - Les Paul or other jazz guitar style.

Yeah, that open rosette is mighty suspicious. I did some quick googling and learned about the McCarty Style pickup. It's for exactly your situation, a P-90 pickup installed in an arch top pickguard with volume and tone.

http://www.lollarguitars.com/blog/2009/09/lollar-mccarty-style-pickup-for-archtop-guitar/

Don't think Lollar makes them anymore, or anyone else, but it's a doable home project if you've got some basic tools and soldering know-how.

Cool guitar! I once had a Gibson archtop that was similar. Passing on a tip, be sure to measure where your bridge is to make sure your intonation is correct. It should be the same distance to the 12 fret as the 12th fret is to the nut. Took me years to figure that out. . .

:nana_guitar :beer
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

Way Cool!!!!

Howard Roberts Gibson copy sort of.His had a mini humbucker mounted at the end of the fingerboard.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Here are a few pictures of 2 that were recently forsale