Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee D-02  (Read 381 times)
D3rasp

Ignore
« on: October 14, 2017, 09:31:14 PM »

Hey guys,

New to this site but I thought this was a good place to voice my concern, last thursday i bought a D-02 After almost buying it 2 months prior. Paid full price, was really happy with it. I got home and checked out the Larrivee website to find out what the number was on the neck was and it said my guitar was manufacuted in 2014, i was kinda bummed i thought it was new, the guy said it was barely played and didnt know how long they had it for. Plays good but ive never played any other larrivees. Should i get another from the factory??  Seams lols e years is along time to be stuck on a wall not played.
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2017, 10:41:44 PM »

No issue IMO. Play and enjoy your new guitar. Play the snot out of it

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 01:38:37 AM »

First Off  welcome welcome to the loonie bin and 

Sometimes stock sticks around for a really long time,no big deal.I was heard of a shop that found a bunch of Martins in there case's in the shop basement.They were 20 years new.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 02:09:06 AM »

I would not be concerned at all.  I have purchased several Larrivee's from what they call "New Old Stock" that date as far back as 2008.  I have never ever been unhappy with any of them.  In fact the older they are the better they get, just like wine...

George
Yippie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 02:21:37 AM »

When I got my D-04W it was sitting in a case for a year or two, it happens (I was lucky because it would have sold long before I got to it).  As long is it was properly humidified, it is all good.    

Larrivee D-04W VHS (Peruvian Walnut/Sitka)
Martin OM-16GT (Mahogany/Sitka)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 04:44:44 AM »

Manufacture date does not necessarily mean it left the factory in 2014. They don't stamp numbers or record dates the week it leaves the factory. Looks good, plays good, sounds good, IS good. Enjoy

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 05:03:18 AM »

What has already been said plus who knows how long a guitar might hang on the wall in a store before someone buys it?  Enjoy it.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2017, 05:29:40 AM »

Actually, a guitar that is two to three years old has had time to stabilize: both the woods themselves and the construction. After some initial playing time, it should start to open up and you should hear the sound improving. This could be as quickly as within a few hours or a few weeks, depending on your playing style and amount of time played.

I agree with others here - a New Old Stock ("NOS") acoustic guitar is nothing to be concerned about. (If we were talking iPhone 5 versus iPhone 8, obviously the older one is inferior - with an acoustic guitar, not so much.)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
D3rasp

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2017, 11:33:27 AM »

Thx guys, i was paranoid about it a lil bit but she sounds great. I got home and read the panflit that said u should never hang a guitar on the wall in winter and i live in montreal so i figured it might be worse to stay on the wall for 2, 3 years. It looks like they use rosewood binding on the d-02 mine has maple i like the brighter look better, im a happy camper.

Also, not sure what strings they come.stock with, the store couldnt tell me so the guy gave me a free pair of elixers and i find the volume droped and it sound very clingly when i strum hard. any string suggestions i play pretty hard struming with a pic and thumb pick the rest of the time.

Thanks
markj

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »

welcome nice guitar gotpics?

I am still experimenting with strings but I always seem to come back to D'Addario Nickel Bronze 13s or 12s. The last set of 13s I had sounded the best yet on  my LV-10 and I also really like them on my mahogany B&S L-03.

Currently I have a set of Cleartones 12s on the LV-10 and I am not loving them. They have been on for a couple of weeks. I will probably give them another week and then continue experimenting. I have 2 different sets of John Pearse 13s PB and 12s silk wound. I have never tried them before so I am looking forward to them. I just received 3 new sets of D'Addario EXP-16s (12s Phosphor Bronze) with the Larrivee t-shirts so I am set for a while. A set of 13s Nickel Bronze will be fitting into the rotation at various stages just to compare as many as possible.

I have never not liked a set Daddario PB or NB strings. I even tried 11s and liked them. My guitar is not set up optimally for 11s so I went back to 12s and 13s
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2017, 06:55:24 PM »

welcome nice guitar gotpics?

I am still experimenting with strings but I always seem to come back to D'Addario Nickel Bronze 13s or 12s. The last set of 13s I had sounded the best yet on  my LV-10 and I also really like them on my mahogany B&S L-03.

Currently I have a set of Cleartones 12s on the LV-10 and I am not loving them. They have been on for a couple of weeks. I will probably give them another week and then continue experimenting. I have 2 different sets of John Pearse 13s PB and 12s silk wound. I have never tried them before so I am looking forward to them. I just received 3 new sets of D'Addario EXP-16s (12s Phosphor Bronze) with the Larrivee t-shirts so I am set for a while. A set of 13s Nickel Bronze will be fitting into the rotation at various stages just to compare as many as possible.

I have never not liked a set Daddario PB or NB strings. I even tried 11s and liked them. My guitar is not set up optimally for 11s so I went back to 12s and 13s

Mark, have you ever tried any of the John Pearse pure nickel acoustic strings?  I too really like the D'ad NB's and the Monel Retro.  There seems to be split camps on whether nickel plated, pure nickel or nickel/copper are any better.  Not sure I can hear the difference, but I have ordered some mediums of each to try...

George
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2017, 06:57:36 PM »

I have had 3 or 4 Larrivee dreads and my favorite is my 17-18 year old D-02.
     The older some guitars get the sweeter they sound.

Enjoy your's.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
markj

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2017, 08:23:58 PM »

Mark, have you ever tried any of the John Pearse pure nickel acoustic strings?  I too really like the D'ad NB's and the Monel Retro.  There seems to be split camps on whether nickel plated, pure nickel or nickel/copper are any better.  Not sure I can hear the difference, but I have ordered some mediums of each to try...

I haven't tried any John Pearse strings yet. I have the Phosphor Bronze 13s and the Phosphor Bronze Silk Wound 12s waiting in their packages. I like to try same gauge back to back then switch to the different gauge to compare. It's a process. I am sure  you are very familiar with it.  The pure nickle are now on my list. 
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »

Thx guys, i was paranoid about it a lil bit but she sounds great. I got home and read the panflit that said u should never hang a guitar on the wall in winter and i live in montreal so i figured it might be worse to stay on the wall for 2, 3 years. It looks like they use rosewood binding on the d-02 mine has maple i like the brighter look better, im a happy camper.

Also, not sure what strings they come.stock with, the store couldnt tell me so the guy gave me a free pair of elixers and i find the volume droped and it sound very clingly when i strum hard. any string suggestions i play pretty hard struming with a pic and thumb pick the rest of the time.

Thanks

I'd suggest that you try a couple of "industry standard" sets (in light or medium - whichever you prefer) - some D'Addario or Martin Phosphor Bronze. Those should bring the tone back. Martin makes them at several "price range levels" - I usually use the mid-priced ones (that aren't the extended life ones).  John Pearse are excellent as well, just harder to find sometimes, and they seem to get tarnished sooner (although they still seem to sound good after that happens).

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: