Larrivee OM-02 vs OM-03w vs Lakewood m18

Started by Arieldeficati, October 12, 2017, 07:57:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello larrivee forum

I looking to get a "step up" guitar and after having tried a couple of larrivees in shops and hearing them on YouTube I have been absolutely blown away. So heres my dilemma: all the larrivees I've tried in shops have been out of my budget so i am having to buy used online, there Is an om-02 for £650, an om-03w for £899 and as a wildcard a Lakewood m18c for £895. The OM-02 is USA made with a 1 piece neck from 2014 and seems to have an ebony bridge and fingerboard (i cant find much about OM-02's of this spec and timeframe) and in very nice condition. The OM-03 is also USA made and seems to be from around the same time frame.

My questions are: how much much more am i getting with the OM-03w apart from the walnut? Does anyone know what bracing both the respective larrivees have? And has anyone had a chance to compare Lakewood with larrivee?

I'm mostly a fingerstyle player with quite a light touch, so i need a responsive guitar that is fairly loud. One of the larrivees (an OM-03 12fret) Was one of the loudest guitars i have ever tried.

Figured the best place to ask about this kind of stuff was here.

Cheers

The Lakewood at a price coming in under the OM-3 would have my attention. 

Yeah the Lakewood looked like a good deal but having not played one I was a bit wary. Anyway i just checked today and the Lakewood has sold anyway so its between the OM-02 and OM-03w now i guess.

I will say this - the only guitar that I've ever regretted selling was an OM-03W.  Stupid stupid stupid.......

(Not to hijack, but as penance for this egregious mistake, I just ordered an older but minty OM-09 in Claro Walnut.  Pics to follow after receipt)

Quote from: TacomaDR20 on October 13, 2017, 10:25:14 AM
I will say this - the only guitar that I've ever regretted selling was an OM-03W.  Stupid stupid stupid.......

(Not to hijack, but as penance for this egregious mistake, I just ordered an older but minty OM-09 in Claro Walnut.  Pics to follow after receipt)

Congrats on the OM-09 looking forward to seeing photos.

I have been quite interested in walnut as a tonewood, people say its like a mix of mahogany and rosewood, which is very appealing to me. I have also heard people say it is like koa, which I've found to make instruments rather quiet. How would you say it is on a larrivee OM ?

In my experience, I found it to bridge the gap between rosewood and mahogany pretty well.  Woody with a quick response, but warmer and rounder than a lot of mahogany.  Loud but not brash.

Wade Hampton Miller has one, also, and has nice things to say about it.  He gigs with it and can probably detail the tone better than I.

From what you have described, I would jump on the OM-03 Walnut...  Probably would never regret that move IMHO...
George

Yeah I think I'm starting to lean towards the OM-03w.

Just received some additional pictures if it. It has some really weird machine heads on it, never seen anything like them.

Quote from: Arieldeficati on October 13, 2017, 03:23:17 PM
Yeah I think I'm starting to lean towards the OM-03w.

Just received some additional pictures if it. It has some really weird machine heads on it, never seen anything like them.

Those are Larrivee tuners - that is the "JCL" logo engraved (or etched) on the back of them. That is an upgrade for the 03 series... usually those tuners are used on 10 series Larrivees.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 13, 2017, 03:41:28 PM
Those are Larrivee tuners - that is the "JCL" logo engraved (or etched) on the back of them. That is an upgrade for the 03 series... usually those tuners are used on 10 series Larrivees.

Yeah  :+1:  Definitely not "weird"...
George

Never said I didn't like them, just thought they were unusual. Its good to know they are Larrivee tuners too.

Make an offer (not a lowball),,,might get it a little cheaper. My SD 03w (peruvian) really shines when played up the neck.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Yeah I asked them if they've got any room to move on the price, still waiting to hear back. AFAIK these were only £1049 upon release in the UK, so the price seems a tad high to me given that its missing the pickguard and there is a bit of a tan-line In its place but, I don't really Know.

Quote from: broKen on October 13, 2017, 05:20:54 PM
Make an offer (not a lowball),,,might get it a little cheaper..................................

I agree.  If it really appeals to you, don't worry too much if you are getting it for absolute best market value.  If you quibble too much, you may miss out on a really nice guitar for the sake of 50 or 100 bucks (quid?)  :tongue:  Plus, as mentioned it has nice upgraded tuners.

If this means anything, I made a dulcimer that has solid walnut back and sides and a sitka top.  I know it's not a guitar, but its my only experience with the sound of that wood combination.  And that combination is very traditional when it comes to mountain dulcimers.  My point is, it has a balanced sound and an appealing pure? tone.  (Describing tone is like describing wine).
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

They've said they'll give me the OM-03w for £800, which is a price I'm fairly happy with. Need to wait for Monday for a the discount code. :smile:

This is a little late, but I have a Lakewood Dread and an older model Larrivee D-02. The Lakewood spends it's days, nights, months and years in it's case. The D-02 is played a lot.
   I put those "wierd" tuners on the D-02 and they are doing very well.

That walnut OM sounds like a winner.

Quote from: Arieldeficati on October 14, 2017, 08:56:50 AM
They've said they'll give me the OM-03w for £800, which is a price I'm fairly happy with. Need to wait for Monday for a the discount code. :smile:

Cool,,,remember, fresh strings go a long way to satisfy. Just saying...

Oh, sometimes a new, well made saddle helps too.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

I hope you get it.  Post some pics when you can.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

It's officially done! Just ordered the OM-03W. Will post pictures when it arrives.