Free Hand Knife Sharpening

Started by JOYCEfromNS, October 06, 2017, 01:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have been spoiled as have a good friend who was retired from a well known local knife manufacturer who sharpened my knives etc but he is now moving a distance that makes this continued relationship impractical.

So I am now considering doing my own. Have a lot  fun finding quality knifes at yard sales and flea markets; "cleaning" them up and gifting them out.

Need to purchase some whet stones wondering what you here who do your own use.

I am considering a Sigma Power set from a Cdn retailer Lee Valley (luv that store way too much).

What do you do  :?
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

I have for many years use use a whet stone if I needed to create a new edge I use a grinding wheel first then whet stone it.Oh ya I don't use oil just a tad bit of water.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

I would like to find an Arkansas whet wheel. I made that up. Like a grinder but a much finer grit that rotates slower and wet. Perhaps a stone polishing wheel of diamond. Like what a lapidary uses for cabachons. I just use a cheap whet stone and a diamond stone for harder steel.
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

At my local market the butcher will put an edge on  up to three kitchen knives for free if you are a regular customer.   

Hi Andrew,

Since I work at Lee Valley and advise customers on sharpening, I am very familiar with the Sigma water stones.  I can highly recommend them for your application (knives).  I would normally recommend just the 1000X and 3000X if all you are sharpening is knives that are in your kitchen, hunting kit, etc.  In your case, I presume you come across some pretty beat-up knives that need restoring.  I would recommend you add the 240X to the 1000 and 3000.  You can get rid of serious nicks much easier with the coarse stone.  Then follow up with the 1000X to sharpen the main bevel.  The 3000X is used to hone the blade to ultimate sharpness.  You don't need a super fine stone for knives.  Those stones are only relevant when sharpening chisels and plane blades.

If you haven't used water stones before, there are lots of good videos out there describing the actual motions of the knife over the stone, etc.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Not your normal thread for a guitar site, but one which I find interesting! As a long time woodcarver, woodworker, hunter and fisherman, having sharp tools is to me an absolute necessity. Having grown up with the bare bones basics in sharpening technology, that being a few good whet stones and a fine wheel grinder, I tend to still keep things simple and with excellent results. But holy cow, there are some amazing sharpening rigs out there these days that beg attention. I also belong to an artist cooperative in our little town, and we are blessed with an unbelievable facility full of tools and space and camaraderie. A conversation started a few months ago about acquiring a state-of-the-art sharpening system for the growing number of up and coming woodcarvers. This old dog is open to some potential new tricks. There's just something special about the feeling of quality sharp steel gliding thru wood or food.     
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 07, 2017, 01:09:31 AM
Hi Andrew,

Since I work at Lee Valley and advise customers on sharpening, I am very familiar with the Sigma water stones. 
Thanks Kurt much appreciate your suggestion as was hiccupping over the the grits to get. Will follow your suggestion of 240, 1000 and 3000
Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Riverbend on October 07, 2017, 06:32:53 AM
Not your normal thread for a guitar site, but one which I find interesting!  I also belong to an artist cooperative in our little town, and we are blessed with an unbelievable facility full of tools and space and camaraderie. A conversation started a few months ago about acquiring a state-of-the-art sharpening system for the growing number of up and coming woodcarvers. This old dog is open to some potential new tricks. There's just something special about the feeling of quality sharp steel gliding thru wood or food.     
Normal around here  :roll

Rich the co-op experience seems special on many levels.

I am aware of some of the systems out there thru on-line experience only - got a bit over-whelmed in my research. Free-hand for me in my circumstance seemed like a skill that I could learn and is somewhat simplistic/basic. I find "gadgets" somewhat limited. In your conversations was there one system that stood out from the others?

In your conversations was there one system that stood out from the others?
[/quote]
Not yet, but that's coming after some research. I'll post when the time comes.
Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)

Several friends of mine have "The Wicked Edge" system and it will get your knives "scary sharp."

Chas

The Spyderco Tri-Angle Sharpmaker set, along with adding their coarse diamond and their ultra-fine honing rods allows anyone with any hand tool experience to get hair popping edges with very little in the way of a learning curve. I finish off my edges on a couple of homemade strops. 

Sharpening can be as complex or simple as you make it.  There are many methods, techniques, tools, and abrasives that will all accomplish the desired result (a keen edge).  For anyone who is interested in delving further, Lee Valley Tools has an excellent collection of on-line articles about sharpening.  Here is a link http://www.leevalley.com/en/home/Articles.aspx?p=32&cat=32%2c47182

I use two whet stones (water stones) for honing. Then, a diamond stone followed by ceramic. Gets my knives nice and sharp. For chisels, I just use the whetstones.

Find what works for you, and perfect it's use. Don't try one thing followed by another. Learn one method.
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog

I just use my trusty Chef's Choice.  Easy peasy.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 25, 2017, 09:33:10 AM
I just use my trusty Chef's Choice.  Easy peasy.
Sure, for kitchen knives.

Quote from: broKen on October 06, 2017, 02:20:33 PM
I would like to find an Arkansas whet wheel. I made that up. Like a grinder but a much finer grit that rotates slower and wet.

I have a Tormek system for sharpening but its overkill for most folks. Great for woodworking tools and the bonus is our kitchen knives are sharp as heck. I also sharpen knives for friends.

Woodcraft (the woodworking store) also has a slow speed grinder thats good for sharpening...

Larrivee 00-70 
Gibson Advanced Jumbo  - J-185 - J200 Jr.
 National Resophonics  M1 Tricone
 Eastman MD-904 - DGM-1

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 26, 2017, 12:55:35 AM
Sure, for kitchen knives.

Nope.  It works for everything I have .... kitchen, hunting, fishing.  Easy peasy.

Quote from: Walkerman on October 29, 2017, 04:08:44 PM
Nope.  It works for everything I have .... kitchen, hunting, fishing.  Easy peasy.

We sell those at Lee Valley Tools.  In fact I demoed one on Saturday.  They are great for all kinds of knives, I agree.  My point was that the Chef's Choice only sharpens knives and the thread had evolved to including chisels and plane blades and other woodworking tools.

Quote from: Dotneck on October 26, 2017, 12:51:51 PM
I have a Tormek system for sharpening but its overkill for most folks. Great for woodworking tools and the bonus is our kitchen knives are sharp as heck. I also sharpen knives for friends.

Woodcraft (the woodworking store) also has a slow speed grinder thats good for sharpening...

The Tormeks are top of the line power sharpening systems for woodworking tools.  We sell them at Lee Valley, also.

Andrew, did you decide on the method you would be using?