Silver oak sound ?

Started by rbpicker, October 05, 2017, 06:43:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What sound characteristics would one expect from a silver oak OM?  Sure is a beautiful wood, but I've never heard one being played before.  Just thinking here.....

Thanks ,
Rb

clean and crisp, bright. they sound big also. just great tone wood. closer to hog then RW

And the guitar is very ligh ... like a feather.  

I saw an OMv-03 silver oak on Reverb today that looked outstanding.  I'd love to play one.
Treenewt

Quote from: Walkerman on October 11, 2017, 10:28:22 AM

Silver oak b/s and top.

Oh Wow Steve, this one is going to be Great!
George

I'm sorry, but this wood has never been an attraction for me.

Quote from: Danny on October 12, 2017, 06:34:04 PM
I'm sorry, but this wood has never been an attraction for me.

Looks-wise I agree.  Same goes for lacewood and highly figured curly maple like PRS uses on their electrics.  Yet I love the look of flamed maple.  Go figure.  I can't comment on the sound of the Silver Oak since I haven't heard or played one.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 12, 2017, 06:54:46 PM
Looks-wise I agree.  Same goes for lacewood and highly figured curly maple like PRS uses on their electrics.  Yet I love the look of flamed maple.  Go figure.  I can't comment on the sound of the Silver Oak since I haven't heard or played one.
My brother, from another mother. I love flamed maple and agree with everything you said.

Some like blondes and some like brunettes .... me, I like em all.

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on October 12, 2017, 06:54:46 PM

There is nothing I love better than beautiful flamed maple or quilted maple, but my J-60 Silver Oak is a wonder to hear.  It has a sound like no other and I think it is very lovely to look at.  P. S.  I started with a lacewood topped chambered tele and researched the wood first.  What I learned is that South American Lacewood and Australian Silver Oak share some common tonal qualities.  It is said that when you strike the fallen tree trunk with a blow from a solid wood bat that it resounds with a musical note...  I would agree that it has natural musical tonality.
George

Quote from: Walkerman on October 13, 2017, 04:15:35 PM
Some like blondes and some like brunettes .... me, I like em all.
Heh, I like blondes, brunettes, redheads and beautiful grey haired ladies. Just don't like spotted wood much.

Quote from: rbpicker on October 05, 2017, 06:43:29 PM
What sound characteristics would one expect from a silver oak OM?  Sure is a beautiful wood, but I've never heard one being played before.  Just thinking here.....

Thanks ,
Rb

I have a Silver Oak C-10 (w/Italian Spruce top). Sounds wonderful - very big and open, light, airy, crisp. It's not "thick" and full of overtones like rosewood, but that's not a bad thing; I suspect Silver Oak would sit better in a mix with other instruments without getting muddy. I go back and forth between my C-10 and a 2012 Martin D-18 - they don't sound the same, but there are more similarities than with rosewood, to my ears.

Hope this helps...

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Thanks for all the responses, folks.  I appreciate the input.

Looks like a Silver Oak OM-03 will be living here with me.  Right now, at 2 days old, the sound is a wee bit tight, but experience tells me that will change dramatically over the next few months. Looking for the right string/pin combination. Now it's wearing the Aluminum Bronze lights and plastic pins. Sounds pretty darn good. Trying to decide whether or not to buff out the finish to a soft gloss. I typically end up doing that with my guitars as I don't care as much for the satin finish.

Walkerman and Mikeymac, those are both beautiful guitars!!!

Thanks again.
Rb

Quote from: Mikeymac on October 14, 2017, 09:45:32 AM
I have a Silver Oak C-10 (w/Italian Spruce top). Sounds wonderful - very big and open, light, airy, crisp. It's not "thick" and full of overtones like rosewood, but that's not a bad thing; I suspect Silver Oak would sit better in a mix with other instruments without getting muddy. I go back and forth between my C-10 and a 2012 Martin D-18 - they don't sound the same, but there are more similarities than with rosewood, to my ears.

Hope this helps...

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
Okay....I will admit I do like Mike's guitar :blush: