NGD Gibson SG Classic P90.

Started by obe-wan, September 22, 2017, 12:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I really like SG's. And I really like P90's. So when this came up I couldnt resist. Still on layaway.....couple of weeks and itll be home I reckon. I havent owned an Electric in a long time!  :nana_guitar

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

I think you'll be glad you did.  I am also a P-90 fan.  I'm betting that combination of body wood and those pickups will sound great.  That guitar looks gorgeous regardless.
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Any idea what year this one was made Scott?  I love P90's as well.  The SG is a real classic.  Looks like the tuning machines have been upgraded?
George

Hey mate, did that use to belong to Angus?

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on September 22, 2017, 01:53:26 AM
I think you'll be glad you did.  I am also a P-90 fan.  I'm betting that combination of body wood and those pickups will sound great.  That guitar looks gorgeous regardless.

Cheers mate!  :thumb

Quote from: George on September 22, 2017, 07:15:35 AM
Any idea what year this one was made Scott?  I love P90's as well.  The SG is a real classic.  Looks like the tuning machines have been upgraded?

George, its an '08. Small button Klusons ala '60's SG are standard on this model.

Quote from: Walkerman on September 22, 2017, 07:49:42 AM
Hey mate, did that use to belong to Angus?

Hey it's possible!  :bowdown:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Got an amp for that thing?

If not, I highly recommend you check out the Roland/Boss Katana 50w ($199 USD) and (even better) 100w 112 ($329 USD) amps. These things are the real deal for a solid state amp that gets very real sounding tube tone.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

My duo partner has a 67 SG Special that I restored and yes P90's are the best way to IMO.Lovely guitar.Congrats.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

:nice guitar:

I too like the SG's have a couple tho none with P90's

My fav has the minis

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 22, 2017, 09:54:48 AM

If not, I highly recommend you check out the Roland/Boss Katana 50w ($199 USD) and (even better) 100w 112 ($329 USD) amps. These things are the real deal for a solid state amp that gets very real sounding tube tone.

Not yet. I'll be getting something with tubes in it with a vintage feel. Not sure what yet, I'm sure something expensive will pop up and pry money out of my wallet at some stage....  :tongue:

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

May I suggest for home or jamming with friends a Peavey Classic 30 or maybe a Fender Princeton Reverb from the early or mid 70's,I've got a 76 that I bought new and its all I need and my duo partner is playing my old 94 Peavey Classic 30 in his band.The newer Classic 30's are pretty nice and Fender has the Blues Jr. thats not a bad tube amp at 15 watts.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Barefoot Rob on September 22, 2017, 06:35:40 PM
May I suggest for home or jamming with friends a Peavey Classic 30 or maybe a Fender Princeton Reverb from the early or mid 70's,I've got a 76 that I bought new and its all I need and my duo partner is playing my old 94 Peavey Classic 30 in his band.The newer Classic 30's are pretty nice and Fender has the Blues Jr. thats not a bad tube amp at 15 watts.

Yep, considering the Peavey Classic 30 Rob, used to have one when I had a Strat, used to run an Fulltone OCD into the clean channel. Great sound!

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

The new one's come with a foot switch that allow's you to switch the channel's,turn the boost on and off and reverb on and off.If I was gigging on electric I would be buying the classic 30.Oh and then now come with a Celestrin speaker.
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 22, 2017, 09:54:48 AM

Why not just use a tube amp if you want real sounding tube tone?
"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

:guitar

Quote from: L07 Shooting Star on September 22, 2017, 11:57:55 PM
Why not just use a tube amp if you want real sounding tube tone?

No reason... I've used tube amps for years, and still have one (out of MANY)...a Mesa Express Plus 5:25. But the Katana's sound so good, I'm seriously considering selling the Boogie and getting a Katana at this point in my life and playing circumstances (I'll be 60 in January and I mostly play for worship on Sunday mornings).

Tube amps are great - but they are more expensive, heavier, and require more maintenance than a decent solid state amp. Rob's suggestions are good ones; I had a Princeton reissue for years and loved it. I've also owned several Peavey Classic series tube amps - mostly the Delta Blues 115 or 2x10 - also great amps - the 2x10 is KILLER with a speaker change. They're great amps. I was just offering a more cost-conscious option if the price and weight are an issue.

I guess I could have said all this in my first post, but that takes time (to write, then read...).

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 23, 2017, 12:26:08 PM
Delta Blues 115 or 2x10 - also great amps - the 2x10 is KILLER with a speaker change. They're great amps.

What speakers did you put into it Mikeymac?

Quote from: JOYCEfromNS on September 22, 2017, 02:25:34 PM
:nice guitar:

I too like the SG's have a couple tho none with P90's

My fav has the minis

That's an interesting looking SG mate, Ive never seen one with that combination of pickups and scratch plate. Is that a standard guitar or has it been hot-rodded?

Cheers, Scott.
Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Quote from: obe-wan on September 23, 2017, 08:58:58 PM

What speakers did you put into it Mikeymac?

I had a set of Reverend 1025 (10" 25w speakers) that sounded great in it. Really opened it up and got rid of the boxiness and prominent mids; opened it up and made the highs nicer and more "Fendery."  A set of Jensen C10's did the same thing (actually, I had tried the Jensen's first; they were from a Fender CRV - after comparing the CRV with the Jensens and the Delta Blues 210 with the same Jensens, I decided to sell the Fender!).

The Reverends were very similar to the Jensens. If anything, they sounded better than the Jensens; they were less harsh or spikey in the highs. But the Jensens also sounded very good...much better than the stock Peavey Blue Marvel speakers.

Its home finally. Took a bit longer to pick it up than intended.... :rolleye:

Sounds good through the little Trace Elliot amp I've got here. Picking up a Dr Z. Mini Z in about a month, should sound great through that.  :thumb

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Man, this makes me want one too....
George

Gday Folks, well I took a peek inside and it had the PCB mounted pots. Call me old fashioned but that just aint right! I also didn't like the linear taper pots, Im one for riding the volume and tone pots a bit so I prefer the audio taper versions. Also it sounded a little choked up tone wise too, so I decided to get a vintage wiring kit with 500k CTS pots, .22 orange drops and switchcraft plug and pickup selector. Copper lined the cavity while I was at it. Out with the new and in with the old!
Ive only had a chance to plug it in briefly onto a DrZ Mini Z, but its more responsive now and the tone seems to breath a bit better now. Threw on some witches hats while I was at it (prefer those).

Cheers, Scott.

Martin OM-21. 
Martin HD-28e
Sigma SDM-18
Schertler David.

Victoria, Australia.

Did you also wire it with the vintage 50's design so that the volume controls operate independently of one another?  I have made that mod to some Les Paul's...  definitely makes them sound better...
George