Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Polyfoam gig bag for Larrivee OM-40R  (Read 340 times)
shekie

Ignore
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:24:24 PM »

I just purchased my first Larrivee, an OM-40R with a Moonwood top this weekend, enjoying it very much so far. I would like to purchase a polyfoam gig bag for when I take the guitar out of the house, but a preliminary search isn't turning up anything that will fit it properly.

The OM-40R dimensions (hand measured by me):

Total Length: 40.25"
Body Length: 19.75"
Upper Bout Width: 11.75"
Waist Width: 9.5"
Lower Bout Width: 15.25"
Depth at End Pin: 4.375"

Can anyone suggest a product that will work without either having to use a shoehorn, or packing one that's really designed for a dread, with towels?

Also, any favorite string suggestions? The guitar is currently strung with D'addario EXP-16's.
BT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

I have the MONO Vertigo for the OM40.  It's got the most protection that I've seen with the neck support.  Also, has plenty of pockets for other stuff.

I looked at everything I could find at decided to shell out a little more for the MONO.  I don't think I would go on a plane with it but for around town, gigs, etc., it works great.

BT
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 05:11:34 AM »

Possibly a TRIC case (Godin).  Godin has some OM sizes so they should have one that fits.

Personally I would never keep a guitar worth more than a few hundred bucks in a gig bag.  Even my Carbon Fiber guitars are in hard cases.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 12:56:14 AM »

Have you tried GATOR cases? Also 000 and OM cases usually switch out. But not the formed shape type. Also a Larrivee LS fits very nicely in a Martin 000 case.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2017, 04:05:38 AM »

Possibly a TRIC case (Godin).  Godin has some OM sizes so they should have one that fits.

Personally I would never keep a guitar worth more than a few hundred bucks in a gig bag.  Even my Carbon Fiber guitars are in hard cases.

I'm of the same thought.  Plus I just don't like the way most gig backs open and how the guitar comes out.  And all those straps on some of them just seem to get in the way.  However, I think they are a better option for portability/commuting for those who need to carry their axes on their backs.

Any style of hard case with a hinged lid and draw catches feels more intuitive and convenient to me.  I'm going to be looking for a hard case for the tele-gibish guitar I recently built.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

rockstar_not
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2017, 11:56:32 PM »

Friend of mine uses a MONO case for his Olson which has an OM-ish shape. I will ask him to measure  his Olson and tell me the MONO model number. Stay tuned

2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF

My Sound Cloud
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 01:54:01 AM »

I once had a taylor gig bag. Thick foam, good protection. Check 'em out.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
shekie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 04:50:49 PM »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I did find a Gator small body polyfoam bag, had high hopes and it was advertised as fitting 000's & OM's, didn't fit, upper bout space was not wide enough and the entire length of the guitar body and neck were also not long enough. A look at the TRIC specs suggest the width of both the upper and lower bouts won't be quite wide enough on the folk/classical model and the dreadnought version will be too roomy. I may have to bite the bullet and consider paying for a MONO bag if it will fits well. Oh well, the search continues.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: