Played some Larrivees the other day

Started by mattwood, September 17, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

and found out I can't handle a parlor or 00 size.  At 6'4" with very big hands and long arms, I just felt too cramped with these guitars.  One was a P-03R and the other was an 00-40.  I couldn't give either of them a fair shake because I just couldn't seem to get them into a position that allowed my to play half decently, which for me is about as good as it gets.  Then I played a LV-03R, which really didn't move me.   The one guitar that sounded the best was an OM-03 Koa spice.  It was one lively little guitar which a great tone.   It was on the verge of feeling "too small", but it was sweet.  The guy in the shop told me that it was koa back and sides but I know that it is mahogany.  It got me wondering if an OM-03 or OM-40 would pretty much have the same tone.  It didn't have the same mahogany tone that I had from my L-05, but I'm not sure if it was because of being an OM size.  The neck even felt a little different.  Anyway, finding Larrivees to play is often challenging here in Texas so it was good to get my hands on some different models.

What city/store in Texas did you shop?
George

George, it was GuitarTex in San Antonio.  Unfortunately you can't go by what they are showing on their webpage.  None of the Larrivees or the Huss and Dalton were there. 

Quote from: mattwood on September 17, 2017, 04:01:18 PM

It got me wondering if an OM-03 or OM-40 would pretty much have the same tone.  It didn't have the same mahogany tone that I had from my L-05, but I'm not sure if it was because of being an OM size.  The neck even felt a little different.

The OM will likely never have the volume (or bass) of an L - which comes close to having the internal volume of a dreadnaught...

As for finding a comfortable body style/size, you could also look for an LS body. You might have to take a leap of faith and order something online from one of the dealers that stock a decent selection of Larrivees. Most of them have generous return policies if necessary.

:donut :coffee :donut2 :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I would also recommend a OOO if you are looking for a comfortable guitar to play with a lot of tone...
George

Quote from: mattwood on September 17, 2017, 07:14:32 PM
George, it was GuitarTex in San Antonio.  Unfortunately you can't go by what they are showing on their webpage.  None of the Larrivees or the Huss and Dalton were there.  
You need to let me know when you are going to be in SA and visiting GT.
I can be there when you are. I am disappointed I did not know you were going to visit.
I would like to meet you. You would be the second forum member I have met, and we can gang up on the staff at GT, since they have letting the ball drop on having good Larrivees in stock, for months now.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 17, 2017, 08:21:51 PM
The OM will likely never have the volume (or bass) of an L - which comes close to having the internal volume of a dreadnaught...

I'd say the L has the (sound) volume of a dreadnaught, but with much (much much) better balance.  If I could play big guitars, it would be an L.

For mattwood, I'm the opposite...  in fact, a OO is bigger than I am comfortable playing.  We are lucky we live in a time where affordable options are available.

Ed

The OM actually had plenty of volume.  It was the tone that surprised me.  Maybe the guy telling me it was koa seeped into my subconscious or something, but it was sure sweet!

Another option for something a little smaller than a dread or L, an SD might be fitting. The new 40's have 1 3/4" nut, but the others will have either 1 13/16" or 1 7/8".  Big balanced sound. IF you can find one...
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Go North towards Austin and right off of 290 in Drpping Springs is Hill Country Guitars. They always have quite a few Larrivees. Nicest folks you could ever want to deal with.
    I got a nice OM-10E from them and if I ever pull the trigger for a Collings, it will be from these good folks.

Quote from: Danny on September 17, 2017, 11:48:01 PM
Go North towards Austin and right off of 290 in Drpping Springs is Hill Country Guitars. They always have quite a few Larrivees. Nicest folks you could ever want to deal with.
    I got a nice OM-10E from them and if I ever pull the trigger for a Collings, it will be from these good folks.

If you want a new Collings, I would do it soon.

Thanks Danny.  Looks like Hill Country Guitars has several other brands I would love to try as well.  A road trip might be in my future!

Quote from: Walkerman on September 18, 2017, 05:35:49 AM
If you want a new Collings, I would do it soon.

Why do you say that? Is something happening to the company since Bill Collings died? Do you think quality will go down? Have you heard something (from Jean, perhaps, since they were good friends)?

Quote from: broKen on September 17, 2017, 10:40:20 PM
Another option for something a little smaller than a dread or L, an SD might be fitting. The new 40's have 1 3/4" nut, but the others will have either 1 13/16" or 1 7/8".  Big balanced sound. IF you can find one...

Actually, an SD ("sloped shoulder dreadnought") would be about the same size - at least on the lower bout and waist, as a standard dread...

Quote from: mike in lytle on September 17, 2017, 09:02:48 PM
You need to let me know when you are going to be in SA and visiting GT.
I can be there when you are. I am disappointed I did not know you were going to visit.
I would like to meet you. You would be the second forum member I have met, and we can gang up on the staff at GT, since they have letting the ball drop on having good Larrivees in stock, for months now.
Mike

Sorry Mike, I only visited Austin for one day and very regrettably had no time to visit Collings nor SA.  I would really like to meet you and Danny and Mattwood.  I will plan a trip though, just don't know when...
George

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 18, 2017, 10:58:52 AM
Why do you say that? Is something happening to the company since Bill Collings died? Do you think quality will go down? Have you heard something (from Jean, perhaps, since they were good friends)?

Actually, an SD ("sloped shoulder dreadnought") would be about the same size - at least on the lower bout and waist, as a standard dread...

Unlike Larrivee, Collings was not a "family involved" company.  The future is unknown.  The family may own the company, but none of them ever worked there.  So, as I said, the future is unknown.

Quote from: Mikeymac on September 18, 2017, 10:58:52 AM

Do you know that Mike?
A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing

Quote from: broKen on September 18, 2017, 12:58:56 PM
Do you know that Mike?

Looks like I misspoke - at least as far as Larrivees are concerned. Just checked the dimensions on their website. Standard dreadnought lower bout is 16" - sloped shoulder dreadnought lower bout is 15" - who knew?   :rolleye:

P.S. Checked Martin body sizes. Both standard and sloped D are 15 5/8" on the lower bout.

Quote from: George on September 18, 2017, 11:02:39 AM
Sorry Mike, I only visited Austin for one day and very regrettably had no time to visit Collings nor SA.  I would really like to meet you and Danny and Mattwood.  I will plan a trip though, just don't know when...
George,
I was actually responding to Matt, cause he was here in town for a quick visit and (unfortunately) did not have time to let me know.
But I know you and I will meet up sometime.  :smile:
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)