Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Replacement tuner buttons? Someone must know?  (Read 658 times)
Rockysdad

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2017, 02:29:19 PM »

I'd like to change out the tuner buttons on my L-10 from chrome, to ? maybe pearloid, or ebony, or black or, ? not really sure yet, but something other than the chrome ones on it.
 I don't know which ones will fit the Larrivee tuners, are they equivalent to, Grovers, Gotohs, Schallers, Ping? Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 07:13:24 PM »

There is to my knowledge no comprehensive data source of which buttons fit which tuners.

At one point folks were starting to measure tuner shafts (with calipers or micrometers) of different brands to try to figure out what was cross compatible.

Before 1997, most Larrivee tuners were Schallers, then they switched to Pings, and at some point replaced those with Faradyne.  Your tuners are highly likely to be Pings.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor
LS-03 Forum-III #34 (IS/MH)

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/markhorning
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »

There is to my knowledge no comprehensive data source of which buttons fit which tuners.

At one point folks were starting to measure tuner shafts (with calipers or micrometers) of different brands to try to figure out what was cross compatible.

Before 1997, most Larrivee tuners were Schallers, then they switched to Pings, and at some point replaced those with Faradyne.  Your tuners are highly likely to be Pings.

Thanks AZ,
 The L-10 is recent, (shipped from Larrivee a few weeks ago) as far as Ping or Faradyne was what I was figuring from everything I tried reading, It has the "JCL" tuners just can't find out what fits these.  Was hoping to give it a slightly different look. Maybe I'll just have to swap out the complete tuners.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

I switched my tuners out for Grovers with pearl button's.I hope you can see them as this is the only pix I have.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 09:17:11 PM »

check with Larrivee, the buttons off a set of these might fit the JCL...    https://www.larrivee.com/shop/larrive-ivoroid-tuners-set-of-6-gold

George
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »

check with Larrivee, the buttons off a set of these might fit the JCL...    https://www.larrivee.com/shop/larrive-ivoroid-tuners-set-of-6-gold

Thanks George, I was looking on the Larrivee site, and they only showed some black buttons. I guess I'll try emailing them to see.
I never thought it'd be this problematic to switch out tuner buttons.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2017, 11:46:54 PM »

Thanks George, I was looking on the Larrivee site, and they only showed some black buttons. I guess I'll try emailing them to see.
I never thought it'd be this problematic to switch out tuner buttons.

Sounds like a good action for you to take.  There are scores of horror stories about third party buttons that either slip or don't work at all...  Me, I just put a set of nice Gotoh 510's on there and move on...

George
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2017, 11:56:41 PM »

Sounds like a good action for you to take.  There are scores of horror stories about third party buttons that either slip or don't work at all...  Me, I just put a set of nice Gotoh 510's on there and move on...
That's what it's looking like I may end up doing.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2017, 12:26:57 AM »

Me, I just put a set of nice Gotoh 510's on there and move on...
That's what it's looking like I may end up doing.
Wouldn't be a bad place to end up

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:35:44 AM »

It has the "JCL" tuners just can't find out what fits these.

The JCL tuners are Faradyne tuners.  But I don't know what (if any) other tuners have a compatible shaft size.

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 03:34:04 PM »

I'd like to change out the tuner buttons on my L-10 from chrome, to ? maybe pearloid, or ebony, or black or, ? not really sure yet, but something other than the chrome ones on it.
 I don't know which ones will fit the Larrivee tuners, are they equivalent to, Grovers, Gotohs, Schallers, Ping? Any help with this would be appreciated.
Thanks.

The problem is, over the years, Larrivee has used different brands of tuners.  Exactly which ones you have needs to be determined before you can ascertain which buttons to use.
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 07:23:53 PM »

The problem is, over the years, Larrivee has used different brands of tuners.  Exactly which ones you have needs to be determined before you can ascertain which buttons to use.
This L-10 was shipped from Larrivee just 2-3 weeks ago, has "JCL" tuners,..... whatever they are?

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »

The problem is, over the years, Larrivee has used different brands of tuners.  Exactly which ones you have needs to be determined before you can ascertain which buttons to use.

With respect, the problem is that most Larrivee guitars were built with Pings, or now Faradyne, and most aftermarket buttons are made for Schaller, or Grover, or (to a small extent) Gotoh.

We have already established (to me at least) that the OP's guitar has Faradyne tuners. 

What nobody has managed to do is really figure out which buttons are compatible with Pings or Faradynes.  I'd love a set of Schaller shape ebony buttons for my OM-03R (Pings), but the shaft size is incompatible with other brands. (rumor is that Grover buttons might fit?)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

What nobody has managed to do is really figure out which buttons are compatible with Pings or Faradynes.  I'd love a set of Schaller shape ebony buttons for my OM-03R (Pings), but the shaft size is incompatible with other brands. (rumor is that Grover buttons might fit?)

[/quote]
Well, I'll try the Grover buttons off one of my others and see if it'll fit.  ............ I'll report back on this if they do or don't work.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
rbpicker

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:53 PM »

I just installed a set of ebony buttons on an OM-03 that had previously been on a Martin D35. Not sure what either tuner manufacturer is, but the buttons are compatible and  fit great. So, find some for a Martin D35, and they should work.

Rb
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2017, 04:29:59 PM »

Thanks RB, I'll look into that.
I finally got around to checking the tuner buttons on one of my "other" guitars which has Grover Rotomatics, the buttons switch with the Larrivee L-10 tuner buttons no problem, seem to be identical shaft(s), they both have a flat spot and buttons felt no different when switching them, ( as far as how they sit on the shaft) I took some photos , but they haven't come through to my email yet so I can't display them at the moment, will add when I can.
Thanks for the input everyone and, hope this helps others, who may like to personalize their guitars with another button look.

L-10 my fav.
& "others"
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 02:15:43 AM »

I just installed a set of ebony buttons on an OM-03 that had previously been on a Martin D35. Not sure what either tuner manufacturer is, but the buttons are compatible and  fit great. So, find some for a Martin D35, and they should work.

Rb

Martin has used Pings on most guitars for the last 18 years or so.  My 2005 D-35 has Pings (with Schaller shaped buttons)

OM-03RE,
D-03R-12,
Parlor

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: