Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: David Iannone  (Read 699 times)
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:37 PM »

David Iannone

Click the picture to see a nice video where David talks about this guitar, and some history about Jean Larrivée.

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 10:51:02 PM »

thanks for sharing David's story.  I own three of his fabulous guitars and can relate...

George
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 05:13:49 AM »

Here's more information about my Morgan
Click image to see more

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 01:32:53 PM »

Here is my Morgan Concert flamed maple with cedar top, serial 2501.  Awesome guitar.

George
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »

my Morgan SB dread with cocobolo binding

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »

Here is my Morgan Concert flamed maple with cedar top, serial 2501.  Awesome guitar.

Are the Morgan Concert's body dimensions pretty close to Larrivee's L body? His cutaway version looks identical to Jean's...

I see from your attachment that they're pretty much identical... So describe the tone of a Morgan compared to a Larrivee. What do you gain tonally by getting a Morgan? Thanks!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 04:05:48 PM »

Hi Mikeymac,

Are the Morgan Concert's body dimensions pretty close to Larrivee's L body? His cutaway version looks identical to Jean's...

Go to my Morgan page and scroll down to the picture of the Larrivée 30th Anniversary beside my Morgan.

The dimensions are identical.

ST

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2017, 05:11:25 PM »

Hi Mikeymac,

Go to my Morgan page and scroll down to the picture of the Larrivée 30th Anniversary beside my Morgan.

The dimensions are identical.

ST

Thanks for your help - now, can you reply to my additional question (which I added after you posted - sorry!)?

So describe the tone of a Morgan compared to a Larrivee. What do you gain tonally by getting a Morgan? Thanks!

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 06:00:51 PM »

Hi Mikeymac,

Originally posted by : Mikeymac,
So describe the tone of a Morgan compared to a Larrivee. What do you gain tonally by getting a Morgan? Thanks!

In 2009, Dermot said this,

I just revisited this thread, sure I'd love to be an armchair critic!

Before ST was on, there was duo who obviously gigged regularly.. the only way they could be so tight is constant playing / rehearsing... a great player with a Guild OM, and the other guy had a Taylor.. they sounded good, but the Guild sounded like an electric more than an ampflied acoustic guitar, could have been playing a strat and he would not lost any of the musicality flowing from his hands... the Taylor did sound like there was an acoustic in there somewhere ;-) 

A tough act to follow, glad i wasn't up after them...

So now  ST & his regular gigging partner come on, they have Been playing out for more than a decade together, and it shows in spades, this is the second time i have seen them, and they are lose, fun & spontaneous.. really meaning they don't waste much of a wonderful life on rehearsals, fly without a net, and seeing them pull out of a looming disasters is so much fun... they have fun and it translates to all around

The thing is - when Lawrence started playing his J45 it sounded really gooood, as in Woody Guthrieish jingle-jangle, and then ST's maple Morgan joined the mix, and it was more than "cut through", there was a depth and richness to everything, that it can float above all, dive down low, sting like a bee.. all crystal clear, without seeming to be pushing in the mix at all, you can hear everything played and it's very "musical", very "acoustic"...  sweet!

Then a friend of ST gets on stage he has an older L10, the case looked like it's been dragged behind a car down the Alaska highway twice, the L10 tho is near perfect... when he starts playing i can see why it's in such good shape... he has a strong attack, probably a fairly thick pick on fairly thick strings, but he has control, he's very precise while looking total casual about it..  i think he has done this before, and more than once... that L10 sounded really good on it's own.

He then asked ST to join him, later i was told they used to gig together, but that was more than a decade ago... once again the Morgan floated above without seeming to need to push it's self into the mix, it was just there, clear, and with a depth and sweetness that worked with the L10's  sustain, they never got in each other's way, and that's saying some as this is the first time in years these guys have played together!

I am a maple fan, as noted above i have played two that were memorable... and have heard two more that were stunning, ST's Morgan, and at El Mcmeen's house he played his Italian/maple OM42 a few years ago... now to get back to the point of this thread - I think Bob has a point about hearing nuances of the player more than the instrument with maple....

I'm not in gassing mood these days, my focus is more on playing and i am pretty happy with what i already have, but that maple C19 that went on Ebay for 1K was making my head turn a little bit ;-)

d

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 07:56:46 PM »

Thanks, ST.

I hear some of that description of maple in this Larrivee LV-10 maple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pPNmDh8uh8

Perfect balance and strong notes across the strings.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 12:01:56 PM »

I've got a plain (by comparison to some of the beauties on this thread), with some bearclaw in the Sitka top, 2003 OMR Morgan.
It is a great guitar though, fits my hands like a glove, responds to a touch, pleases my ears - built quality unsurpassed - I love it.
The most pleasing aspect of Morgans to me, is David's signature turquoise purfling strips.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: