Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 00-40 Questions  (Read 1050 times)
Treenewt

Ignore
« on: September 07, 2017, 02:00:09 AM »

Evening everyone,

I am currently Larrivee-less after passing on my OM-40 to a friend. I'm down to one, my d18, but beginning to dream again about the next one. While I'd love another OM, I'm drawn to the OO design from a comfort, and just plain cool, perspective.  I know they'll never be a dread, or even an OM. I'm not looking for that. I've loved the tone of pretty much every 00 ive ever played, as I think they tend to punch above their weight class (especially in a 12 fret design).

After emailing the factory, I learned Larrivee builds the OO-40 in an all mahogany as well as standard spruce tops. For those who own or have played a OO-40, I'd love to hear your opinions. 

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 02:54:35 AM »

Mine is not a 40, but sitka/rosewood. It has plenty volume, but it's greatest strength is balance. The lows are every bit as strong as the highs, and vice versa. There are no weaknesses. The tone is rich through the entire spectrum. And I'm glad I didn't sell it!

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »

My 00-40 Custom is a killer guitar. It is my best Larrivee ever - I've had 3 others...
It is loud, articulate, most responsive (alive) and balanced like only a Larrivee can be. The Hog b&s provide for clear, crisp fundamental notes.
If a small body is your thing, you won't be sorry.

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 02:12:18 PM »

After emailing the factory, I learned Larrivee builds the OO-40 in an all mahogany as well as standard spruce tops. For those who own or have played a OO-40, I'd love to hear your opinions. 

I've been playing both a spruce and a hog top OO for a few years and I favor the spruce top. The hog top was a custom and it took a few years to warm up to it's darker tone. Ernie Ball Al Bronze strings did the trick to brighten it up enough for me to keep.

The spruce top has a bright sweet tone I really like. If the house was on fire, I'd grab that one first.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 02:34:25 PM »

Mine is not a 40, but sitka/rosewood. It has plenty volume, but it's greatest strength is balance. The lows are every bit as strong as the highs, and vice versa. There are no weaknesses. The tone is rich through the entire spectrum. And I'm glad I didn't sell it!

Sounds like a keeper for sure! I think about rosewood from time to one, but I've yet to find a keeper in it. I lean towards hog. I think it's the mids. Do you find your 00 retains that punch?

My 00-40 Custom is a killer guitar. It is my best Larrivee ever - I've had 3 others...
It is loud, articulate, most responsive (alive) and balanced like only a Larrivee can be. The Hog b&s provide for clear, crisp fundamental notes.
If a small body is your thing, you won't be sorry.

What makes yours a custom? I may go that route in the end myself. Sounds like it's great!

I've been playing both a spruce and a hog top OO for a few years and I favor the spruce top. The hog top was a custom and it took a few years to warm up to it's darker tone. Ernie Ball Al Bronze strings did the trick to brighten it up enough for me to keep.

The spruce top has a bright sweet tone I really like. If the house was on fire, I'd grab that one first.

That's high praise for sure! Would you say the biggest difference between your two would be the  darkness/warmth of the all hog vs the brightness of the Sitka? Ive played some killer all hog guitars, from Martin and Larrivee amongst others. I like punch, but I also like warmth. The all hog in Larrrivee always seem to retain a little of both to me.

Thanks for the responses everyone! Keep 'em coming! 

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 05:30:00 PM »

It's going to be more dry and blusey sounding than mid sized or larger guitars. And, it will never have the same bass.  So, make sure that's something you want. Spruce will have a bit more high frequency response than mahogany, but mahogany has a little extra richness in the mids. 

D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2017, 06:44:44 PM »

It's going to be more dry and blusey sounding than mid sized or larger guitars. And, it will never have the same bass.  So, make sure that's something you want. Spruce will have a bit more high frequency response than mahogany, but mahogany has a little extra richness in the mids. 

Bowie, thanks for the response. I def understand the bass difference, and have learned to appreciate the differences in guitar tone from different sizes.  Most of the time. 😁

I really want a comfortable sitting and picking guitar. I'm playing less and less standing up, and the dread is getting to my shoulder. Love the comfort of a small body, and the Larry is just so much guitar for the $$. 

I like the thought of the all hog having more in the mids. I love the punch that gives you!  Thanks again!

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2017, 09:43:49 PM »

Bowie, thanks for the response. I def understand the bass difference, and have learned to appreciate the differences in guitar tone from different sizes.  Most of the time. 😁

I really want a comfortable sitting and picking guitar. I'm playing less and less standing up, and the dread is getting to my shoulder. Love the comfort of a small body, and the Larry is just so much guitar for the $$. 

I like the thought of the all hog having more in the mids. I love the punch that gives you!  Thanks again!
I have the opposite problem, I really want a 00 but smaller guitars are less comfortable in my lap. I'm pretty tall so I end up hunching over and pushing up with my leg. Even my 000's are just a tad smaller than ideal. The 12 fret thing helps a lot though, with all my guitars. Much better leverage with the left hand. I'll probably end up with a 00 in the next year though, so let us know what you get and how you get on with it!   

D-02-12
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2017, 01:25:58 AM »

I'm not sure what 'punch is, but I don't think my oo has it. It is only a little bigger than a parlor and is just on the verge of boxy, especially if strummed hard. Flatpicking and fingerpicking does well though.
Btw, a 40 series not necessarily mean non-symmetrical bracing.

Pain is a good thing
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2017, 03:39:52 AM »

I'm not sure what 'punch is, but I don't think my oo has it. It is only a little bigger than a parlor and is just on the verge of boxy, especially if strummed hard. Flatpicking and fingerpicking does well though.

Heheheh. Broken, what I mean is clarity in the midrange. When that is scooped or weak, it just sounds meh to me. I guess it's why I end up drawn to mahogany, too, as the mids don't seem turned down like I often find worth rosewood. When I hear clips of the Larry OO, they seem to maintain that "punch".  I don't mean power, per se, but just the clarity in the mids.

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 04:24:56 AM »

Heheheh. Broken, what I mean is clarity in the midrange. When that is scooped or weak, it just sounds meh to me. I guess it's why I end up drawn to mahogany, too, as the mids don't seem turned down like I often find worth rosewood. When I hear clips of the Larry OO, they seem to maintain that "punch".  I don't mean power, per se, but just the clarity in the mids.

Note blending is a trait of rosewood, I think. My oo is very balanced, but if not, I'd say the bottom end is stronger.
Sounds like you should stay with mahogany, or possibly walnut.

Pain is a good thing
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 08:44:47 AM »

Note blending is a trait of rosewood, I think. My oo is very balanced, but if not, I'd say the bottom end is stronger.
Sounds like you should stay with mahogany, or possibly walnut.
^Absolutely. Particularly walnut. The initial attack of each note really pops with walnut. It's got clarity, subtle richness, and is lively. Larrivee gets some pretty good walnut too.

D-02-12
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 01:29:31 PM »

^Absolutely. Particularly walnut. The initial attack of each note really pops with walnut. It's got clarity, subtle richness, and is lively. Larrivee gets some pretty good walnut too.

Walnut definitely intrigues me. I've only played a few Walnut guitars, but I have liked the tone. Thanks for the recommendation!

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2017, 02:10:01 PM »

Broken, can you elaborate a bit on that? I must have missed any threads about this. Have there been 40 series that don't have the non symmetrical tonebars, just  a standard with 40 trim?

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »

Broken, can you elaborate a bit on that? I must have missed any threads about this. Have there been 40 series that don't have the non symmetrical tonebars, just  a standard with 40 trim?

Apparently so. My ooo-40 2015-16 model has symmetrical cross bracing. I understand it's the 40 legacy series that has the new bracing.

Pain is a good thing
Zohn
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2017, 01:40:16 PM »

Hi Treenewt
I only saw your question now...
Mine is a custom for 3 reasons namely
Italian Spruce Top
Abelone Rosette
"Torch" head-stock inlay
Pics to come

"To me...music exists to elevate us as far as possible above everyday life." ~ Gabriel Faure
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 03:16:52 PM »

Hi Treenewt
I only saw your question now...
Mine is a custom for 3 reasons namely
Italian Spruce Top
Abelone Rosette
"Torch" head-stock inlay
Pics to come

Zohn, that sounds pretty sweet! What is your take on the tone and strengths of yours? Love to see the pics!

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2017, 07:55:38 PM »

I've had four OO Larrivees. The all hog forum IV was fine and if I wasn't such a trader I'd still have it. The OO-09FM was as bright as could be, I liked it's looks. The custom OO-03SH hog/spruce was the best looking of all, but the tone was not what I wanted.

My current OO is a legacy 40R. I like it very much. A rosewood OO will not have the snap and punch of a hog model, but it's more than enough for me and is a sweet looking and sounding OO. nice guitar

Too many guitars... But I keep thinking one more may just do it.
Treenewt

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2017, 01:05:36 AM »

I've had four OO Larrivees. The all hog forum IV was fine and if I wasn't such a trader I'd still have it. The OO-09FM was as bright as could be, I liked it's looks. The custom OO-03SH hog/spruce was the best looking of all, but the tone was not what I wanted.

My current OO is a legacy 40R. I like it very much. A rosewood OO will not have the snap and punch of a hog model, but it's more than enough for me and is a sweet looking and sounding OO. nice guitar

Thanks for that Danny. I appreciate the input, especially since you've owned so many OO's.

Treenewt

Martin D18 MV Custom
jrdavies

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:16 AM »

Hi Treenewt.  I am a big fan of Larrivee OOs  I haven't had a chance to play a OO-40, which is I think is braced differently, but have tried a number other OOs.  My favorite ended up being a Cedar topped Koa 00-09 that I found used.  I am not sure that helps you though as all of our tastes are different. I mostly play on the couch for fun and relaxation, some strumming but mainly finger plinking.

If I had to choose between Mahogany or Rosewood with a Spruce top I would leaned more toward the Mahogany.  The Cedar top sounds fuller across all strings than the Sitka Mahogany OO-50 I used to have.  I have also tried a Forum IV and liked it a lot and a OO with Sitka and EIR.  I would love to try an all Koa OO and there is a video clip of an all Austrian Walnut parlor on youtube that has me wondering what it would all Austrian Walnut OO would sound like.

To me the top (Spruce, Cedar or Mahogany) made the biggest difference in the OOs I have tried.  FYI there are some short scale Larrivee OOs out there and that may make a difference how the guitar plays.  All of the ones I have played were standard scale.  My first OO was the OO-50 and it was a great guitar. if it weren't for the internet and guitar forums I would likely still have it and be quite happy :). Wildwood some times has cedar topped OOs if you are interested, though they may not have the new bracing. 

Happy searching!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: