Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has anyone ever compared a Gibson Dove to a Larrivee dread?  (Read 800 times)
headsup
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 12:58:03 AM »

apples and oranges maybe?
 how do we compare guitars?
criteria?

if it calls to you, that's a start.
 too easy.

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
 Too few brain cells to be bothered with...
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »

Asking for advice and experience of others, when you can't play a specific model guitar before purchasing it, is what a large percentage of our topics are all about.

Of course if you can play it first, you get the benefit of the instrument "speaking" to you.

But many times we don't get that option.

O,OO,OOO,LS,D02
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 02:21:01 AM »

It always worries me that I might be consumed by how lovely a guitar appears to be and then be disappointed by the lack of musical beauty later.  Has happened to me more than once, and likely why advice on this forum carries such a big weight.  I will probably do it wrong again sooner or later...   

George
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 02:43:27 AM »

One of the two best Gibsons I ever played was a Doves In Flight.  I forget the exact specs, but I think it was a spruced (no pun intended) up up Dove.

The other was a J45 that a buddy found in a dumpster with a smashed top.  He was learning to be a luthier, and put a new top on and did a(n exquisite) burst finish on, and refretted, and...  he basically rebuilt the guitar.

Ed
flatlander
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 04:01:02 PM »

Different animals to me. The big Gibsons I played seemed to shine at rhythm playing. No so much up the neck or lead type stuff. Larrivee dreads maybe not as warm and smooth with big chords but more versatile. I had an old Hummingbird from mid 60's, during their supposed heyday. 67. I certainly found that to be true with it. Great, really nice and smooth, for open chords. Like a warm blanket. Nothing up the neck. I sold it because it got worth way more than it sounded like. a rare money maker. Bought it for 600 and sold for 2400!

10-1614 more than a number, it's body and soul.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: