Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar Of The Month.. have we lost interest ?  (Read 269 times)
tuffythepug
Global Moderator

« on: September 04, 2017, 05:36:37 PM »

It looks like the photo I posted to get the ball rolling didn't do the trick ( well, until it was too late, unfortunately for a last minute nomination) So, while I am glad to have my P-05 on the home page I can't help wondering why nobody participates any more.   I don't know if we've had a month where the winner was by default for lack of any competition.

Is the process too difficult ?   Is there a lack of interest ?  I know there are lots of Larrivee photos out there that would look great on our home page.    And, let's face it, just about everyone has a good camera in their phone these days.   I'd hate to see the GOTM just die from lack of participation.  In the begnning the GOTM was just selected by Mods or Admin.   Seems better to have forum participation in this don't you think ?

T the P
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 05:51:38 PM »

Each month, I ask my guitars the question....
"Which one of you wants to try out for GOTM? If one of you does not volunteer, I will play the snot out of ALL of you."
None has ever come forth. I don't even get excuses.
Mike
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 05:59:57 PM »

I, for one, am just now learning Flickr to replace pb.  Soon .....😎
ST
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2017, 07:29:52 PM »

After the nomination thread was locked, I couldn't find the voting thread.

I'm disinclined to nominate my own guitars. Did it once but I was uncomfortable doing it. But I'm not one much for posting pictures and my photography skills are basically, point and shoot: nothing worthy of Guitar or the Month.

Maybe there would be more interest if we could upload larger files. This could eliminate the need to upload files to an image sharing site and figure out how to link to the files here.

The size limit on uploads was probably appropriate when file storage was expensive. I don't know who is paying for maintaining the site, but a little investigation may reveal that file storage and bandwidth are no longer the concern they were when the site launched.  For the sites I manage the costs for storage and bandwidth are negligible.

ST

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

I still like it just like it is and I enjoy voting on the candidates.  I too do not like to nominate my own guitars.  The more artistic the background the better a guitar tends to do.  My photos have been pretty plain.  Maybe now that I have retired I can take more artistic glamour shots of the girls....

George
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2017, 10:40:05 PM »

If all my Larrivees succeed in becoming GoTM, what will I have to look forward to?   
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 01:03:43 AM »

After the nomination thread was locked, I couldn't find the voting thread.

I'm disinclined to nominate my own guitars. Did it once but I was uncomfortable doing it. But I'm not one much for posting pictures and my photography skills are basically, point and shoot: nothing worthy of Guitar or the Month.

Maybe there would be more interest if we could upload larger files. This could eliminate the need to upload files to an image sharing site and figure out how to link to the files here.

The size limit on uploads was probably appropriate when file storage was expensive. I don't know who is paying for maintaining the site, but a little investigation may reveal that file storage and bandwidth are no longer the concern they were when the site launched.  For the sites I manage the costs for storage and bandwidth are negligible.

ST

I'll admit my own ignorance, but I figured how to downsize photos by smartphone. Send them to yourself via messages, then download the picture. Voila!  Downsized and ready to upload to forum. Works for me.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 02:44:28 AM »

My default entry on the forum is "recent unread messages".  Unless I make a point of looking, I never see them.

As far as interest, don't we go through this every summer?

Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: