Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee newbie in the middle of a weird purchase  (Read 1249 times)
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2017, 01:13:26 AM »

Go to pictures, and then the GOTM hall of fame.  Go to Sept. 2008 you will see a D-40.  Certainly, this predates the 40 Legacy series with the hybrid bracing.  That is all I am saying.  Before the 40 Legacy series with hybrid bracing, there was a 40 series without hybrid bracing, and we have to be careful not to intertwine the two.

Thanks Steve,

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2017, 01:15:56 AM »

Steve is correct. The original 40 Series were built in Vancouver around 2010 for Long & McQuade of Canada. I believe there were only about 150 made. It was simply an 03 Rosewood with some of the traditional features of the 50 & 60 Series. So no hybrid bracing, it didn't even exist then. There may have been a few extras that were made and sold to a few other dealers if I remember correctly.

As for the serial number search the op did, if you provide me with that number I can either verify its accuracy or an error in the system. There have been known errors since the amalgamation of multiple sets of serial numbers formulated in to one single search engine. If that makes any sense.

jr

So please tell us when (MM/YY) the actually Legacy 40 series began production?  Thanks for your information, it is always much appreciated...

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2017, 01:23:17 AM »

This Article should add some insight and a bit of a timeline

I know we were discussing the "new" series in the Fall of 2013 possibly a little earlier 

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2017, 04:01:58 AM »

So please tell us when (MM/YY) the actually Legacy 40 series began production?  Thanks for your information, it is always much appreciated...

These are the first three 40 Series produced in Vancouver...

Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

These are the first three 40 Series produced in Vancouver...

Um... those aren't the Legacy 40 Series, right (based on those 2010 dates)?  (I think you guys got your wires crossed there!)

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2017, 04:06:27 PM »

Um... those aren't the Legacy 40 Series, right (based on those 2010 dates)?  (I think you guys got your wires crossed there!)

These are the first two Legacy 40 Series produced in California...

George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2017, 08:49:12 PM »

These are the first two Legacy 40 Series produced in California...

Please clarify John.  By "Legacy" do you mean with the newer top bracing?

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2017, 09:45:31 PM »

Please clarify John.  By "Legacy" do you mean with the newer top bracing?

Yes - the 40 Legacy Series have the new "Martin-esque" top bracing which opens up the bass more.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2017, 10:12:48 PM »

Yes - the 40 Legacy Series have the new "Martin-esque" top bracing which opens up the bass more.

Sorry Rev, I did not see that they were May, 2013.  My first one was built in August, 2013.  So now we know the rest of the story?

George
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »

I am currently having a 12 fret, OM 40Legacy built.  Silver oak b/s AND silver oak top.  Cannot wait to hear it.
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2017, 11:48:30 PM »

I am currently having a 12 fret, OM 40Legacy built.  Silver oak b/s AND silver oak top.  Cannot wait to hear it.

I guess I'll continue this hijack and predict this will be loud and very fundamental with little to no overtones. Hope it's pleasing to the auditory senses.

Pain is a good thing
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 11:52:35 PM »

I guess I'll continue this hijack and predict this will be loud and very fundamental with little to no overtones. Hope it's pleasing to the auditory senses.

Well, we are talking Legacy bracing.  bigrin
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 11:57:52 PM »

Well, we are talking Legacy bracing.  bigrin

To be honest, I wouldn't want my ooo-40 to be any louder than it is. It just about drowns me out.

Pain is a good thing
L07 Shooting Star
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2017, 07:33:02 AM »

The 40 designation has been around for a long time.  My 1985 12-string is designated as an L-40 as confirmed by it's stamp on the neck block.

"Badges?  We don't need no stinkin' badges."

Became a Shooting Star when I got my 1st guitar.
Back in '66, I was 13 and that was my fix.
Still shooting for stardom after all this time.
If I never make it, I'll still be fine.

JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »

The 40 designation has been around for a long time.  My 1985 12-string is designated as an L-40 as confirmed by it's stamp on the neck block.
Yup the Larrivee Promo and model naming/consistency was/is and seemingly likely always will be far from their strong suit

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
jpmist

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2017, 07:02:54 PM »

The guitar was listed as a 2010 year of production OM-40.  The serial number does not register as an OM-40, but as an OM-50.  The guitar is being sold as brand new, mint condition from a reputable dealer.  So these are the thoughts that keep barreling through my head...

1.  How common is it for a guitar to sit on the shelf for 7 years, unpurchased and without play wear?
2.  Is the guitar a real dud, that's why nobody bought it?
3.  Why would a dealer not know the right model # of a guitar they are selling?  Or is Larrivee wrong in labeling it an OM-50?

I know you can't answer these questions.  I meant to call the dealer today, but got busy and they closed before I could call.  The guitar was priced so that I couldn't pass it up.

A shame the OP deleted the thread and hasn't returned. Maybe he bailed out altogether. I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out and I'm betting it's a nice sounding guitar now that the top finish has shrunken in and all the joins settled in.

1. There's an identical OO-05 to mine still listed where I bought mine 5 years ago. Which surprises me, since I'd buy mine again if my current one got destroyed, so it's nice to know where a back-up is. Could be due to the fact that that shop has a lot of other really nice guitars in inventory.

2. I cringe at the word "dud" applied to a Larrivee, although I suppose it happens, but it's more likely because Larrivee simply doesn't sell as readily to the market that's ready to upgrade from their clunker to a decent guitar as Taylor does. So I can imagine a guitar lingering in an inventory a while.

3. I think we're all aware that the serial numbers aren't 100% accurate over time. I'd rather a factory spend it's time on making perfect guitars than perfect books.

Larrivee OO-05
Larrivee OOV-03 MT SB
Taylor 322ce
Recording King ROS-16
Various Strats

Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2017, 11:16:21 PM »

3. I think we're all aware that the serial numbers aren't 100% accurate over time. I'd rather a factory spend it's time on making perfect guitars than perfect books.
+1

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: