Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee newbie in the middle of a weird purchase  (Read 1223 times)
Zerofournine

Ignore
« on: September 02, 2017, 11:21:26 PM »

I brought donuts.

I'm in the middle of a purchase on a Larrivee OM model that I found for sale on the net.  In other words, I've paid, but haven't received the guitar yet.  There is something odd about the situation, and it's got my curiosity running on overdrive, so I needed to talk about it with people who might understand.  That's where you come in.

The guitar was listed as a 2010 year of production OM-40.  The serial number does not register as an OM-40, but as an OM-50.  The guitar is being sold as brand new, mint condition from a reputable dealer.  So these are the thoughts that keep barreling through my head...

1.  How common is it for a guitar to sit on the shelf for 7 years, unpurchased and without play wear?
2.  Is the guitar a real dud, that's why nobody bought it?
3.  Why would a dealer not know the right model # of a guitar they are selling?  Or is Larrivee wrong in labeling it an OM-50?

I know you can't answer these questions.  I meant to call the dealer today, but got busy and they closed before I could call.  The guitar was priced so that I couldn't pass it up.  I won't break forum rules and mention the price, but it was low enough I HAD to pull the trigger.  I can't find any information on OM-40 models from 2010, and only vague details on OM-50 models from that year.  The market has moved on, and it's my fault for finding a new old stock guitar I guess.  One more thing.  The guitar has no volute.  All the used OM-50 models I have been able to find photos of from around 2010 show a triangular volute on the neck.  This one is a standard neck to headstock transition.

Curioser and curioser.  I guess I'll know next week what I bought and how it sounds.  Maybe my gamble will pay off.  I was in the market for an OM, and this one came to my attention so I just went for it.  I'm embarrassed to admit it, but the real reason I jumped on it is because the serial number has my birth year and lucky number in it.  It's my second Larrivee purchase, but the first guitar hasn't arrived yet either.  That's a story for another thread.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 12:26:37 AM »

Thanks for the donuts. We can't wait for the other thread.
"Maybe my gamble will pay off."
I guess I would hope one would not purchase a Larrivee on a gamble.
But that is just me. I just don't pull the trigger that fast.
Looking forward to the story on the first guitar.
Mike
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 12:38:36 AM »

I thought that Larrivee introduced the 40 Legacy series in 2014 and then I see this which could be a typo;

https://www.elderly.com/larrivee-om-40-2012.htm

Then again Larrivee made an OM-04 model introduced between 2000/2004 with a curved headstock as opposed to the straight headstock legacy series..  

Zerofournine

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:26:37 AM »

Thanks for the donuts. We can't wait for the other thread.
"Maybe my gamble will pay off."
I guess I would hope one would not purchase a Larrivee on a gamble.
But that is just me. I just don't pull the trigger that fast.
Looking forward to the story on the first guitar.
Mike

That's kind of the world we live in now, isn't it?  The internet has made buying a guitar so very easy, and also returning one if you aren't happy with it.  If any guitar is worth gambling on, I would think a Larrivee OM-50 is a safe bet.  When I was looking for info on older model OM-50s, I found more than a few people posting on forums that they had sold theirs, and regretted it.  There aren't many models of guitars that have that kind of reputation.  The OM-50 is something I have got to experience, and I'm actually happy it doesn't have to be a 2017 version.

The other Larrivee I ordered is a new custom.  I wasn't able to even find one video on this type of Larrivee.  It's truly a blind purchase.  Even bigger gamble.  :)
Zerofournine

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:37:25 AM »

Well, something is obviously a little off.   It can't be a 2010 OM-40.     It could be a 2010 OM-50  (or perhaps a OM-04 I suppose in a special run) but to my knowledge the design for the 40 series bracing did not come into production until a few years ago..  I know, I ordered a D-40R soon after they became available.  If it's possible it could be an OM-05 too if they reversed the 5 and the 0.    As to why a seven year old guitar sat unsold and un-played for so long..   well, these things do happen from time to time..  a guitar gets forgotten in a back room with a bunch of supposedly empty cases for years..  for example..   It does happen.  It will be interesting to hear what you end up with.  If the price was as good as you say, I'm sure you will be happey with it no matter which flavor it is.

At this point, I'm anticipating an OM-50 showing up.  That's what Larrivee says it is, so fingers crossed.  The lack of a volute is so strange.  Maybe it's an old blem, and the shop didn't mention it?  If it was some sort of custom would the serial number lookup on the Larrivee site show that?  I just want it to sound good.  I paid less than I have seen used OM40 and OM50 guitars with play wear sell for.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 02:14:28 AM »

I own a D-40R that was built in August of 2013, but I do not know about the OM-40 timeline.  I do know that I purchased two Larrivee D-10's from New/Old Stock from the factory through my dealer.  One was 3 years old and the other was 9 years old.  I have purchased New/Old Stock Larrivees from dealers that had them for years as well...  Happens more often than you think.  There are still lots of folks that have never heard of them so they don't always move quickly............  sounds like you just got really Lucky to me...  Waiting to hear more after the arrival.

George
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 10:51:35 PM »

Found this thread in trash - am hoping it was deleted by the OP in error as very interesting. If intentionally deleted - please do so again.

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2017, 12:01:04 AM »

The 40 series is different from the 40 hybrid bracing.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2017, 01:11:28 AM »

The 40 series is different from the 40 hybrid bracing.
For those of us who do not know why 40 series is not equal 40 hybrid, please explain.
You CANNOT make a one sentence post like this without a request to explain it.
Mike
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2017, 01:21:43 AM »

For those of us who do not know why 40 series is not equal 40 hybrid, please explain.
You CANNOT make a one sentence post like this without a request to explain it.
Mike

The 40 series is an older series, the 40 legacy series  is newer (2016 I believe) and has the new hybrid  bracing.  Two different animals.
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2017, 01:38:56 AM »

The 40 series is an older series, the 40 legacy series  is newer (2016 I believe) and has the new hybrid  bracing.  Two different animals.

And how is one to know the difference? Head stock?
Mike
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2017, 02:19:26 AM »

And how is one to know the difference? Head stock?
Mike

One is called 40 and one is called 40 legacy
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 02:31:25 AM »

I respectfully disagree about the timeline.  Even my August 2013 has the new bracing and was sold to me as a 40 Legacy model.  I have inspected all three with a lighted inspection mirror and they are identical under the top...

George
mike in lytle

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 02:52:24 AM »

Well, I am content to leave this be, as the only Larrivee guitars I am interested in are L-0x, mahogany or rosewood.
Preferably with a silver stripe around the head stock, tho I made an exception with the L-02-12, cause it sounds so darn good.
Mike
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »

So Steve, the legacy has the angled braces but the 40 does not?
I don't suppose it matters, just curious. My ooo-40 has symmetrical braces straight across the lower bout.

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
The cost of living is...life
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 01:04:06 PM »

I respectfully disagree about the timeline.  Even my August 2013 has the new bracing and was sold to me as a 40 Legacy model.  I have inspected all three with a lighted inspection mirror and they are identical under the top...

I am just going by the date on their announcement ;

PUT ONE IN YOUR HANDS

October 24, 2016

The 40 Legacy Series has taken to the hearts of players both contemporary and traditionalists alike. While maintaining our unmistakable tone, we have managed to deliver a spirited dynamic bass response through our new, non-symmetrical scalloped lateral cross-bracing system.

Tycho
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 09:40:34 PM »

I have a dim and foggy memory of playing a D-40 at Long & McQuade in Toronto quite a few years ago -- well before 2014.  I remember noticing it a) because at that time I had never heard of a 40 series and b) because it sounded amazing.  But I can't remember anything else about it.  I vaguely recall that it might have been like a D-50 but with a satin finish.  I think it might have been part of a special run for L&M...but as I said, my memory is foggy.

D-03RE
D-03-12

...and several other guitars.
Walkerman
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2017, 10:44:46 PM »

Go to pictures, and then the GOTM hall of fame.  Go to Sept. 2008 you will see a D-40.  Certainly, this predates the 40 Legacy series with the hybrid bracing.  That is all I am saying.  Before the 40 Legacy series with hybrid bracing, there was a 40 series without hybrid bracing, and we have to be careful not to intertwine the two.
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 12:44:56 AM »

Good work Walkerman.  Inspector Jacques Clouseau would be proud which makes this as well as my above post legit;

https://www.elderly.com/larrivee-om-40-vintage-sunburst-case.htm
J M Larrivée

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »

Steve is correct. The original 40 Series were built in Vancouver around 2010 for Long & McQuade of Canada. I believe there were only about 150 made. It was simply an 03 Rosewood with some of the traditional features of the 50 & 60 Series. So no hybrid bracing, it didn't even exist then. There may have been a few extras that were made and sold to a few other dealers if I remember correctly.

As for the serial number search the op did, if you provide me with that number I can either verify its accuracy or an error in the system. There have been known errors since the amalgamation of multiple sets of serial numbers formulated in to one single search engine. If that makes any sense.

jr
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: