LSV-11 scale length: did it change while I wasn't paying attention?

Started by Tycho, September 01, 2017, 04:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone.  It's been a long time since I've been here, but I know someone will know the answer to this question.  I've been getting back into fingerstyle, so I'm starting to think it's time (again) to have a dedicated fingerstyle guitar.  I have my eye on a nice recent-vintage LSV-11 that I can get for a good price.  However, I'm wondering about the scale length.  All the discussions here refer to the LSV-11 as a short-scale guitar.  But the Larrivee site says the scale is 25.5".  Did they switch to a standard scale at some point, or is the website incorrect?
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

no. its a "short" guitar, a tad smaller then the L. jcl looks at a 25.5 as a short scale

The LSV is an LS model with a cutaway.  This body shape is very similar to the Larrivee L shape but is slightly smaller.  I suspect this fact is where you got your idea from. 

Along with having the smaller LS body, the LSV originally was a shorter (24.75") scale length. It seems like we've had this discussion here recently about it being converted to the 25.5" standard "Larrivee" scale length. If you do a search, you might find a thread about it...

...and I don't think Larrivee considers 25.5" a "short scale" - unless you're talking about their classical models, which might be a longer classical scale length. I believe their steel strings have always been 25.5" scale length.

:donut :coffee
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

There has been change in a few aspects of the LSV-11, The body size increased somewhat as well.
If I was to buy a used one I'd ask for the actual specs of that particular LSV-11.

The LS models used to be listed on the Larrivee website as being available with either scale length, they offered both 12 and 14 fret to the body versions...
George

I believe initially the LSV-11 came out in a short scale length.  The longer scale came after.  The first LSV-11 were somewhat subdued in the volume department which I think the short scale with the less tension was responsible. 

Quote from: gtrplayer on September 02, 2017, 08:46:46 AM

I believe initially the LSV-11 came out in a short scale length.  The longer scale came after. 

The first LSV-11 were somewhat subdued in the volume department which I think the short scale with the less tension was responsible. 

This was my impression of the one I tried when they first came out. It left me unimpressed when compared to a standard L body. But I believe it had electronics in it, so if someone was going to play plugged in most of the time, that might not be an issue.

Also, I don't remember if the early ones had the "barn door" electronics, but I believe that was another turn off for me...hate those holes in the side of nice Larrivees!
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

As another working musician repair guy around this site knows, those "barn door" things can make for an awesome sound port.
just don't do it yourself.......

In fact when the "barn door" electrics become REALLY passe and people can't give them away, it's really a terrific opportunity for sound ports!
honest! I did one to a friends Martin and he is SO thrilled about it!

"Senior" member means "old" right?
Like over 50?

Too many guitars to list here.
Too few brain cells to be bothered with...

The LSV-11E I was looking at is a new (i.e. not used) Oxnard-made model, with contemporary electronics and no "barn door".  As an update on my first post, I got the guy at the store to measure the scale (roughly), and it's at least 25".  But I decided not to get it because I don't really like abalone rosettes and I decided it would always bother me.  Such are the vagaries of guitar lust.

As an aside, both of my two current Larrivees (in my sig) have the old vintage-2005 "barn doors" and the B-Band pickup of that era.  I bought them just at the time when people were really beginning to frown on electronic panels on the top of the guitar, but I didn't know any better.  The barn door sometimes annoys me aesthetically...but both of these guitars sound so good that I'm not going to worry about it.
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02

...and several other guitars.  Former Larrivees: P-01, OM-03R SH (Twelfth Fret special edition), P-01 Chris Hadfield special edition

Quote from: Tycho on September 01, 2017, 04:17:23 PM
Hi everyone.  It's been a long time since I've been here, but I know someone will know the answer to this question.  I've been getting back into fingerstyle, so I'm starting to think it's time (again) to have a dedicated fingerstyle guitar.  I have my eye on a nice recent-vintage LSV-11 that I can get for a good price.  However, I'm wondering about the scale length.  All the discussions here refer to the LSV-11 as a short-scale guitar.  But the Larrivee site says the scale is 25.5".  Did they switch to a standard scale at some point, or is the website incorrect?

Yes, Tycho. The LSV-11 is now 25.5" scale.

Thanks very much!
D-03RE
D-03-12
00-50 TSB
OM-02